The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Tired of being skinny....Help!!

I have been a small guy most of my life. I am 33 now and I feel I have to change this. I was told I need to take in more calories. I was told to multiply my weight times 20 and that's the amount of calories I need to take in everyday. That makes 2800 calories a day I need to consume.
    Do any of you have a diet plan that would consist of such numbers? I also was in GNC and was shown a "Mass gainer" product that said it would be 990 calories. I plan to buy this, so that means I need about 1800 calories of food I need to take on everyday in addition to the drink.

Any help, suggestions or ideas you can come up with to help me would be greatly appreciated. I need at least 30 pounds added. I have dedicated this winter to "fattening" up...regardless the cost!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    I wouldn't worry about supplements, just get as much good food in you need and train hard.

The best way to determine how many calories you need is to find out how many you are eating now and then add 500 cal to that number.

Good luck
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig Member
    I figured a supplement would be a easy way to up the calorie amount without consuming as much food. Like one of these.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/p7193-i...nutrition.html
    OR
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4021755

Garage Lifter
    why don't you want to eat food?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    I figured a supplement would be a easy way to up the calorie amount without consuming as much food. Like one of these.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/p7193-i...nutrition.html
    OR
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4021755
    Food is always better than supplements. And it's tasty. Start eating Tuna and grilled chicken in addition to what you eat now. 2800 calories is really not that much food.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    why don't you want to eat food?
    It's not that I don't want to eat food. It involves me to do more cooking and things related when I really don't have the time in the AM to do such.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    Food is always better than supplements. And it's tasty. Start eating Tuna and grilled chicken in addition to what you eat now. 2800 calories is really not that much food.
    Yeah...taste is big with me. I have been reading reviews on one of the supplements I posted and everyone says how gross it is.
    Last edited by Foley; 09-01-2011 at 11:18 AM.

It's not that I don't want to eat food. It involves me to do more cooking and things related when I really don't have the time in the AM to do such.
    None of us have time, but we certainly make it. I use to work 11-8, go to the gym until 10. Get home by 10:30pm and the last thing I wanted to do was to cook a full meal, but I did.

It's all part of the game. On a side note, as long as you get your total calories by the end of the day, you're good to go. It doesn't really matter when, just as long as you get them.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Garage Lifter
    Whenever I cook I make sure that I make enough for at least 2+ extra meals beyond the one I'm eating. And as Cards say none of us have a lot of time planning ahead is very important also prioritizing your time is big as well.

Hey man,

I managed to get my weight up from a skinny 125 lbs @ 6ft to 204lbs (and currently 198lbs @13%BF).

This is how I did it: I added in 5 meal replacement shakes per day. One with each meal and one inbetween meals. That's 2000 calories right there. Along with creatine that was my only supplement. I certainly didn't count calories. I then forced myself to eat a huge bowl of oats in the morning with 4 whole eggs. And ate as much as possible during the rest of the day..

So, if you dont like cooking, get a massgainer/meal replacement and try adding it to your current diet 5 times a day. Logic should tell you that you should get bigger.

When you reach the point that you think you need to control your BF% more wisely, then you can cut back on the weightgainers and start counting calories again etc.

Anyway, this might night work for you, but it worked wonders for me.

taking a mass gainer 5 times a day is going to be an expensive diet to maintain. Real food is the answer.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    taking a mass gainer 5 times a day is going to be an expensive diet to maintain. Real food is the answer.
    Though my preference is for real food, anytime other than PWO, protein powder is cheaper than almost any other source. Whey can be had for $3-4 a pound, and maltodextrin comes in 50lb sacks for less than $2 a pound.

Some people will steer you away from mass gainers, but if you are truly frail, then you obviously have trouble eating enough. The shakes are a good convenience in your diet. Just don't make them a crutch. Eat big. If you manage 2500 calories from food, and a 1000 from good shakes, that wouldn't be so bad.

I would be prepared to go much go much higher than 20 calories per pound. I am at 22 per pound, and would not consider myself a "hardgainer". I would start at 25 calories per pound if you are desperate, and then remove calories from there. The first two months of lifting are freaky if done correctly. Make eating a skill like weightlifting.
    Last edited by BallsWideDeep; 09-04-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...Bastardo-Flaco
    14" Box===240x5 (09/02/11)
    Bench====180x6 (08/25/11)
    Deadlift===375x5 (09/06/11)
    Press==== 115x6 (08/21/11)

Quote Originally Posted by BallsWideDeep View Post
    Though my preference is for real food, anytime other than PWO, protein powder is cheaper than almost any other source. Whey can be had for $3-4 a pound, and maltodextrin comes in 50lb sacks for less than $2 a pound.

Some people will steer you away from mass gainers, but if you are truly frail, then you obviously have trouble eating enough. The shakes are a good convenience in your diet. Just don't make them a crutch. Eat big. If you manage 2500 calories from food, and a 1000 from good shakes, that wouldn't be so bad.

I would be prepared to go much go much higher than 20 calories per pound. I am at 22 per pound, and would not consider myself a "hardgainer". I would start at 25 calories per pound if you are desperate, and then remove calories from there. The first two months of lifting are freaky if done correctly. Make eating a skill like weightlifting.
    Where are you getting whey protein for $3-4 a pound?

internet deal aggregators
    Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...Bastardo-Flaco
    14" Box===240x5 (09/02/11)
    Bench====180x6 (08/25/11)
    Deadlift===375x5 (09/06/11)
    Press==== 115x6 (08/21/11)

Wannabebig New Member
    Where would be the best place to buy protein powder online? I basically just want good deals!

Quote Originally Posted by pamph View Post
    Where would be the best place to buy protein powder online? I basically just want good deals!
    AtLargeNutrition.com
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Seconding AtLargenutrition.com

It's cheap, they run great sales all the time, and their products work better than basically everything else out there.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Wannabebig New Member
    sweet, thanks a lot guys just placed an order

I agree that nutrition is #1 for gaining weight. Now the calories in would depend on your height and goals but 2800 isn't even that much for a "bulking diet" and I have seen much higher (like 4,000 cals a day). All depends on level of training, height, and goals.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Wannabebig Member
    Happy to report I am up about 10 pounds. I added a calorie app to my phone and hit the grocery store. The app told me the calorie intake I would need to consume to get to my goal weight. I began scanning things I would eat. I managed to pack in about 2800 calories a day since I created this thread. I have also been hitting the gym everyday lifting. Last week I bought a 10lb bottle of Mass gainer. It says one serving is 940 calories. One serving is 3 scoops. I take one scoop three times a day with whole milk, add peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Sometimes only two a day cause I just cant bring myself to force it down.
    I started this at 132. I am 143 as of today. My goal is about 165.

Happy to report I am up about 10 pounds. I added a calorie app to my phone and hit the grocery store. The app told me the calorie intake I would need to consume to get to my goal weight. I began scanning things I would eat. I managed to pack in about 2800 calories a day since I created this thread. I have also been hitting the gym everyday lifting. Last week I bought a 10lb bottle of Mass gainer. It says one serving is 940 calories. One serving is 3 scoops. I take one scoop three times a day with whole milk, add peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Sometimes only two a day cause I just cant bring myself to force it down.
    Great job. I also have an app like you describe myfitnesspal. It's the best I can use my PC when I'm at work and it syncs with my phone for when I go home and eat. Jetfit is also great for you workout routine might want to check that one out. Even has a coutndown timer for you rest intervals.

It's always great to hear these accounts. Keep it going going dude. Keep that consistency up and keep setting goals and bust your ass to hit them.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Great job. I also have an app like you describe myfitnesspal.
    Thanks and that's the app I am using! Great app!

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    It's always great to hear these accounts. Keep it going going dude. Keep that consistency up and keep setting goals and bust your ass to hit them.
    Thanks!! I can already tell a difference in my definition when looking in the mirror. I can see my end result coming. I'm determined to have a totally different look next summer.!!
    Last edited by Foley; 09-30-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks and that's the app I am using! Great app!

Thanks!! I can already tell a difference in my definition when looking in the mirror. I can see my end result coming. I'm determined to have a totally different look next summer.!!
    Start a journal here brother. I'd love to follow along as you keep progressing
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Don't waste your money on a mass gainer.

For a cheap mass gainer, do this:

2 cups raw quaker oats
    Grind them into powder in a blender
    add 3 scoops whey protein
    add 3 cups of whole milk
    Add splenda if your protein powder is plain

Using my costco cytosport whey protein, I come up with:

Cals:

Prot:

Carbs:

Fat:

Drink that as your breakfast every day. That is almost half the calories you need to gain weight right there.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    SQUAT!
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive