Thread: what u think works best for arms?

Wannabebig New Member

what u think works best for arms?

i used to pyramid my first exercise for both bis and tris but recently switched to keeping all sets to a set number of reps. think pyramiding works well for arms?

for arms i like to train to failure.. and really keep the intensity high.. the only time that i really dont go ape shit on arms is when im doing close grip bench. I approach that as i do a normal bench session since im really focusing on improving my bench at the moment.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Simply progressive overload. Doesn't much matter what fashion you achieve it just achieve it.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    progressive overload.
    Yes, progression on Chins, Rows, and Curls seem to work the best for biceps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    ok sure haha thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Yes, progression on Chins, Rows, and Curls seem to work the best for biceps.
    What was your final thoughts on that arm routine you were doing that was posted up a while back? I know we talked briefly about 3 weeks into it, but I'm curious on your thoughts after a longer period?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig New Member
    well i think it was CGBP- 4 sets 10,8,6,4 Skullcrushers 3x8-12 one arm push downs- 3x15-20. preacher curls 4 sets 10,8,6,4 incline curl- 3x 8-12 hammer curls- 3x15-20. it worked well but i switched from pyramiding to doing a solid 4 sets for 8-12 for CGBP and preacher curls. wanted to see which ppl thought works better for them, pyramids or a set rep count

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    What was your final thoughts on that arm routine you were doing that was posted up a while back? I know we talked briefly about 3 weeks into it, but I'm curious on your thoughts after a longer period?
    By the end of the routine my arms were 1/4 inch bigger. After a few weeks off the routine they were right back to normal. I think it was good but a lot of extra work for a little gain. Maybe if I had kept up with it I would have seen some permanent size increase. Right now I am back to chins, rows, and curls and have gained the 1/4 inch back, so I'll just stick to the basics and get the same results.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    it worked well but i switched
    That was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by bgb1990 View Post
    wanted to see which ppl thought works better for them, pyramids or a set rep count
    The definitive answer is it really doesn't matter, unless one for some reason one style accommodates you better and consequently allows you progress better.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

What has worked by far the best for me is doing arms a couple times a week but with super low volume, highest intensity possible, and perfect form (except for the last 1-2 reps when going to failure).

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig New Member
    ok thanks

Banned
    Doing bicep curls one set to failure every leg day has actually given me some bicep peak which I never had from just chins and rows. The key for me is low volume.

A good technique is to training 3 different exercises, for say biceps and then a forth exercise that puts your biceps on stretch. This exercise should be completed with 7 sets in a row with little to no rest in between sets (alternating arms). This set is killer but give such a good pump and potenital for growth. It's called Fst-7 training and can be found on my site below (just type fst-7 in the search bar)
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Short, & VERY INTENSE for meh

Wannabebig New Member
    I am very much busy and don't get any spare time to go to gym. That is why I do push ups and chin ups and these are really very good exercises for arms.

Always learning
    I'm a very, very big fan of arnold 21s right after standing barbell curls. Nothing hits my biceps harder. As for forearm I do reverse curls and tricep I do rows and lying barbell tricep extensions. That seems to do the trick on top of my compound exercises.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    I'm a very, very big fan of arnold 21s right after standing barbell curls. Nothing hits my biceps harder. As for forearm I do reverse curls and tricep I do rows and lying barbell tricep extensions. That seems to do the trick on top of my compound exercises.
    You do rows for triceps?

Always learning
    Yea my triceps seem to get hit indirectly whenever I do upright rows or bent over barbell rows. My main tricep exercise is the barbell extension though. I'm considering adding in tricep cable pushdowns but right now I'm doing a full body barbell only workout and I'm seeing nice results from it.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Here is a good arm workout article if you are interested. Should give a good shock to those arms.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com