Thread: I seem to not be gaining any more muscle mass or strength?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

I seem to not be gaining any more muscle mass or strength?

Hi all, now this may not seem like much to all you machines out there but I am relatively new to this (started properly with real weights maybe 3 or 4 months ago).

I am currently lifting 9kgs per arm and that is the weight i am using for all of my exercises.
    The problem is that after these 3 or so months I have arms no bigger than the chick on the main page! While that is certainly no bad thing I would like to go up a bit in my lats but I have seen no improvement in them either. I think I may be doing something wrong.

I do around 15 slow reps of lateral raises and 25-30 hammer curls and bicep curls all on 9kgs (which is until i can't do any more) and I do say 3 sets of each a night (plus other exercises) but I don't seem to be improving since my initial first month or so say. I can definitely see the results since i started but I am still a bit away from my ideal build.

One thing I have noticed is that I don't get "the burn" when doing my lats, it just becomes impossible to lift any more, so do you think that I may be lifting to much in my lat raises maybe? could that be why there is no real improvement?
    Or maybe I need supplements? I have steered away from them in the past mainly because I am afraid of putting on weight

Help'd be appreciated guys and gals
    Joshwa
    Last edited by joshwa; 09-06-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Seriously? Hammer Curls and Lateral Raises? And you aren't seeing huge growth? I'm baffled.

Seriously though...You are either a complete newbie or a troll. If you are a newbie, then start reading all the great stuff on this site and it will become obvious that you cannot get big doing laterals and hammer curls. If you are a troll, go away.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Seriously? Hammer Curls and Lateral Raises? And you aren't seeing huge growth? I'm baffled.

Seriously though...You are either a complete newbie or a troll. If you are a newbie, then start reading all the great stuff on this site and it will become obvious that you cannot get big doing laterals and hammer curls. If you are a troll, go away.
    Nope, genuine newbie as I have only been doing weights for the past three or so months and I don't want to get "big" by any means I just want to gain a bit more muscle bulk. I assumed I could obtain that through the exercises I was doing as I do not live near a gym.

It's hard sifting through all the shite on the internet to actually find some real facts about weight lifting an nutrition as so many sources have conflicting ideas but I am now looking through the "Best Of Threads" and I hope to get some proper answers here.
    I tend to prefer talking to a person though as opposed to reading page after page of sites as you can get straight to the point, although I can see why you don't need another newbie blocking up the feed by asking newbie questions.
    Cheers anyway dude

Always learning
    Assuming you're not a troll, you need to be eating enough first and foremost. Lifting will not increase your weight and strength if you're not eating enough. Once you have your diet down, start doing a routine like Starting Strength or Baby Got Back. They're both excellent routines.

I'm a very big supporter of compound exercises and I suggest you look into them.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    Assuming you're not a troll, you need to be eating enough first and foremost. Lifting will not increase your weight and strength if you're not eating enough. Once you have your diet down, start doing a routine like Starting Strength or Baby Got Back. They're both excellent routines.

I'm a very big supporter of compound exercises and I suggest you look into them.
    Cheers, I will look into those exercises.
    I do think my eating habits has something to do with it as I tend to only eat probably 1 large meal a day then a smaller meal after doing my weights although it does vary. I try to get a lot of proteins in my meals though but I am afraid that if I eat any more I will put on weight, which I do not really want to do as I have recently lost a stone trying to trim up a bit after letting it go from being in a relationship for a few years
    Last edited by joshwa; 09-06-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Always learning
    If you are doing a routine like BBB or SS, you will need to eat enough calories, healthy fats, carbs, proteins, and so on to support your energy needs. You cannot bulk up and cut back at the same time, it's either or.

I suggest you find out your maintenance calorie needs, which is generally suggested to be 20 calories per pound of body weight, and add about 500 calories to that.

Honestly, don't worry about putting on weight. Starting out, it's good to overeat while working out hard in the gym. Sure, if you eat like a bodybuilder and don't put the time in the gym, you will get fat very quickly. You'll find you need that much food to have the energy to work out 3-4 times a week, if you're going a routine like BBB or SS.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

3-4 months. Hmmm. Could be overtraining. I would take a week or so off (I know it's really ahrd to do when you want to gain) and let your body recuperate. Overtraining usually is occurring when we don't even know it --trust me happens to me every 3-4 months as it does most ppl. I take a week off and I come back stronger and bigger the next time around.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com