The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Natural expectations

I found this interesting...

A lot of newer guys come onto this forum and say, "I want to look like so-and-so" or "I've been working hard for months and haven't seen any progress." I believe that a lot of these guys have unrealistic expectations and have been swayed by popular media. So, what kind of results can you expect?

First, let's look at a couple of pictures...

So which guy do you want to look like?

I'll bet most are saying, "I want to look like the guy on the right, OBVIOUSLY." But truth be told, they are the same person. The picture on the left is him during the off-season and the picture on the right is him at contest bodyfat level, with a tan, good lighting, and nicely carbed-up.

What's my point? Nothing really, except that I think new lifters should have realistic expectations of what they are going to look like if they remain natural. Quit jumping from routine to routine trying to look like the guy on the right. Just keep working on getting stronger on the basic lifts and aim for the guy on the left. Later on you can diet away the extra fat, get a tan, throw some oil on, and pose for some nice lighted pictures
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

He doesn't look so good in the off-season, even for a natural...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    He looks like a jar of mayo with arms in the off season.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Whew... harsh critics out tonight. For what it's worth Offroad, I thought it's was a good post.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    He looks like a jar of mayo with arms in the off season.
    I lol'd.

But point taken. People need to make more realistic goals and in smaller increments or they lose motivation and focus too quickly.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Actors, natural bodybuilders, and others get their pictures published when they are in tip-top form. Even guys on this forum will post pictures at the end of a long cut and sift through the pictures until they find the 'one' that really shows the goods. They don't walk around looking like that ALL THE TIME. In fact, if you put a loose fitting t-shirt on them, they'd look fairly average unless you have a trained eye and can spot the tell-tale signs of somebody that has lifted heavy weights. And then if you factor in all the time that it took for the natural lifter to build to that size, it can be very deceiving to the newer lifter. The new lifter thinks they will get there in 12 weeks with the magical routine and supplements. So what happens? They end up routine hopping and spending a small fortune on the wrong supplements.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    There is -and this should be obvious- a significant difference between well-lit and poorly lit, which has nothing to do with barbell strength training . I've noticed myself that I look A LOT more impressive if side lighting comes into play. Fortunately, this coincede with summer and beach, the only season I am shirtless in the presence of many women - I can live with that, and I'm sure we all can

I read this article here the other week: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-and-behemoth/, and I think it's brilliant. Every newbie should get this in mail. Fact is, if you're not going to BE a competitive bodybuilder, there is no reason to look like one. I'm training for the physiques these guys have, properly developed, healthy, and shredded as fuck.

But tbh, does anyone else feel like he cares less about his looks than he used to when starting out? I'm heading off to the gym in 30 mins, it's a deadlift and bench day. Ill pull some weights, watch my form, have fun, have a protein shake after, and then tuck in for dinner. And my day shall be good.

Regards
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Randomly View Post
    I read this article here the other week: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-and-behemoth/, and I think it's brilliant. Every newbie should get this in mail. Fact is, if you're not going to BE a competitive bodybuilder, there is no reason to look like one. I'm training for the physiques these guys have, properly developed, healthy, and shredded as fuck.
    I agree, but don't lose sight of the fact that those guys still have to train super hard for a long period of time (years) to look that good. It doesn't happen by being lazy and taking it easy, and it doesn't happen overnight. They represent what a guy can achieve through gut-busting work and still remain natural looking. That's the message that needs to be taught to the new guys.

How many times have we had guys come here and say that they don't want to be big, they just want to look like so-and-so. They think they can get there with some push-ups and curls in their bedrooms. They don't realize that it takes serious training to look like that if you are going to remain natural. And push-ups and curls just aren't going to cut it. A lot of guys still think that the big lifts like squats and deadlifts will have you looking like the pros, and if their sights are set lower then they don't have to work out as hard as those guys.
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-07-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I love the concept of this thread but the above guy looks like a little bitch. Any natural trainee can achieve a much more impressive physique than that with enough years.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I love the concept of this thread but the above guy looks like a little bitch. Any natural trainee can achieve a much more impressive physique than that with enough years.
    lmao.

I think a bump for the article being real would have better sufficed for this topic.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Really? Would it interest you to know that the above person has won numerous natural bodybuilding competitions, including pro qualifiers in the open division, is a guest poser at other competitions, has an elite powerlifting total, and holds national records in the squat and deadlift?

But hey, maybe with a few more years of training he'll turn into something...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yes, it really is amazing what super low bodyfat can do for your appearance (and that's not even including the oil, tan, and lighting aspects).

That's why it cracks me up that my one buddy has all these people admiring him because of how HUGE he looks, but really he's only about 170 (or less) at a height of about 6'3" or so....just with very low bodyfat.

You want to look HUGE? Diet down.

Good post!

PS - my buddy does have a very good physique, don't get me wrong. He just doesn't strike me as HUGE...just a very lean guy that wears a wife beater 24/7.
    Last edited by brihead301; 09-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Really? Would it interest you to know that the above person has won numerous natural bodybuilding competitions, including pro qualifiers in the open division, is a guest poser at other competitions, has an elite powerlifting total, and holds national records in the squat and deadlift?

I like the thread.

Whats the guy's name.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I like the thread.

Whats the guy's name.
    Ahh, if I told you his name it would ruin all the fun
    For now I'll just let everybody prove my point and bag on the guy
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yes, it really is amazing what super low bodyfat can do for your appearance (and that's not even including the oil, tan, and lighting aspects).

That's why it cracks me up that my one buddy has all these people admiring him because of how HUGE he looks, but really he's only about 170 (or less) at a height of about 6'3" or so....just with very low bodyfat.

You want to look HUGE? Diet down.

Good post!

PS - my buddy does have a very good physique, don't get me wrong. He just doesn't strike me as HUGE...just a very lean guy that wears a wife beater 24/7.
    does he look like a scrawny shit when he puts a t-shirt on? that's what happens to me
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Banned

That interests me a lot, because he certainly looks underwhelming. Damn good post.

People look bigger and more impressive in real life. It's easy to get used to pictures of 300lb powerlifters on the web without grasping how huge these guys look on the street.

No. Because in those pictures he still looks like a little bitch. If you want me to say he has an impressive physique well that's going to take me seeing some impressive shots. Maybe he does? But from the pics above I am not even remotely impressed.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

No... that's going to take me seeing some impressive shots.
    How about now?

_________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

x10 more impressive than post 1

x10 more impressive than post 1
    So tell me, would you take training advice from the guy in the first photo? How about the guy in the last photo?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Layne Norton?

So tell me, would you take training advice from the guy in the first photo? How about the guy in the last photo?
    Given that I knew nothing else about him other than what he looked like? No to first. Yes to second. Where yes means hear him out but certainly not meaning I'm going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    Layne Norton?
    The last pic sure does look like him huh?
    Last edited by Behemoth; 09-07-2011 at 04:28 PM.

I also imagine the first set of pictures is many years before the latter one posted. Which if that's the case was my entire point when I said
    Which I'm quite sure has been proven by that second picture.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Watch the second photo be the same person, Off Road is tricky like that.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 09-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive