It is a given that in order to gain weight, you need to take in more calories then you use, and vise-versa for losing weight (take in less calories than you use). That is non-debateable. So I could eat 2000 calories/day of ice cream, and still lose weight if I was expending 3000 calories per day. That I understand perfectly fine.

What I really don't understand is how the macros come into play....at least regarding carbs and fats. We all know that protien is the main ingredient for muscle building...and the general consensus is that one should take in 1 gram protien/lb. of bodyweight.

Okay, so we are all pretty much in agreement that no matter what ones goal is - either to gain weight or lose weight, while being a gym-rat like us here at WBB, we should consume 1 g/lb. of bodyweight of protien daily, and eat either more calories or less calories then maintainence depending on whether the goal is to gain or lose weight respectively.

So if that is the case, what does it matter if the remainder of the daily calories come from carbs or fat? Even further, what does it matter if the source of carbs happens to be from vegetables or table sugar? Fish oil or bacon grease for fats? This is the part I just don't understand.

Basically, hypothetically speaking if I were 180 lbs. and trying to get ridiculously ripped by cutting down to 165 lbs, and my daily caloric requirements were 2000. What would it matter if I ate 720 calories worth of protien along with 1280 calories worth of table sugar vs. eating 720 calories worth of protien along with 1280 calories worth of brocolli vs. eating 720 calories worth of protien along with 1280 calories of fish oil vs. 720 calories worth of protein along with 1280 calories of a mixture of carbs and fats.....and so on?

Is there a link to an article that has the answer to this question? Google searches still haven't given me a clear-cut answer to this question.

Thanks!