The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Moving workout to later time of day

I currently workout around noon (12-2pm) and sometimes I feel sluggish, drained or tired so I don't find my workouts to be fulfilling. One thing I hate is when I'm doing dumbbell benchpress or barbell benchpress as I lift my arms up, usually one of my elbows feels like its going to fail or crack (like when you crack your knuckles). Does this mean I should give a good amount of time to warming up before I lift?

I've thought about working out later since I feel my body is ready/warmed up.
    If I were to workout at anywhere between 7-10pm what do I eat after? I'm trying to gain weight/get bigger. I'm only 110lbs 5'7 18yrs. Would a protein shake do? Or should I eat a meal?

One last question, right now I do 3 day split workout per week with 1 day rest in between (back/biceps day 1, chest triceps shoulder day 2, legs day 3). I was thinking about going 3 days continuously, is this a good idea or does my body need rest?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Have you injured it recently? Better yet, have you had a physician look at it?

To comment on work out times, I work at a gym where people come in at 5am, your time of day when you train doesn't matter. Allow your self ample warm-up/ stretching as you should any other time of the day when you train.

A protein shake will help, but I suggest nitrean as it has one of the best quality bends of whey,casein, and egg proteins.

I could tell you to calculate your caloric maintenance and consume at or above maintenance, but really, dude, you just need to eat. If you want to grow, you gotta eat. Having a protein shake with every meal will help muscle synthesis with any solid training schedule.

With that in mind, if you want to see any improvement you should really consider looking at the FREE HCT-12 program we offer at the top of the site. There is a 3-day split if that is what you need. Download the PDF, READ it (seriously don't just look at the program), and execute.

Oh, inhale food and squat.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 09-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Does this mean I should give a good amount of time to warming up before I lift?
    Yes. But you should be dedicating time to your warm up regardless.

If I were to workout at anywhere between 7-10pm what do I eat after?
    Whatever you would normally eat post workout. Don't believe the whole 'carbs are bad late at night' theory.

I was thinking about going 3 days continuously, is this a good idea or does my body need rest?
    Your body needs rest.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chamberlain View Post
    If I were to workout at anywhere between 7-10pm what do I eat after?
    What I said in my earlier post. Don't worry about timing of your meals. Read THIS ARTICLE by Martin Berkhan about busting those myths about eating after a certain time.

Not only should you absorb nutrients, but do your share of knowledge absorbing as well.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 09-09-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Always learning
    You're 110 lbs, which is the boat I was in at your age. You need to eat at least 3k to 3500 calories a day. That's the only way I was able to gain weight. Also you do need protien shakes, just to make sure you are getting the 120 to 160 grams of protien you need everyday.

The fact that you're feelin sluggish is due to the fact that you're not eating enough, trust me. Also you should have a doc look at your elbow. Yea your body does need rest. Remember you grow outside of the gym, not inside it. Eating and resting are equally important as lifting, it's the holy trinity of gaining weight.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Yes, working out any time of the day will require atleast 5-10 min warm up. The most effective warm-up is always what's most similar to the activity your doing. Ex. Before I do my working bench press sets, Ill do 2-3 warm up sets with virtually no weight on them (slowly ramp up the load)
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Aaron B - Music Composer MusicForMuscles's Avatar
    I used to have the same issue with one of my elbows when doing db or bb bicep curls. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to the doctor at the time due to lack of insurance and money, lol.

If you can, then definitely get checked out.

What I did was massage it pretty regularly, before and after workouts that used the elbow, and I warmed it up with bodyweight movements that used the triceps such as pushups and dips. I also started getting more calcium and even some glucosamine to help the joints.

Do your best to stay healthy man
    Height: 6'1" | Weight: 235 | Goal Weight: 240 at < 9% BF

I create music specifically for listening to while lifting weights at MusicForMuscles.com