The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Machines vs. Free Weights

Looking for some opinions/advice here...

I just started lifting again after years and I've found that using machines are much easier in lifting with correct form and overall, they're just more efficient. And I find that I can get a good work out in (5-6 sets) using almost all machines. Is there a greater benefit to free weights I don't know about? Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by skully1 View Post
    I've found that using machines are much easier in lifting with correct form and overall, they're just more efficient.
    There's your answer right there. Free weights are harder and therefore more productive. Weightlifting is supposed to be tough, that's what forces us to grow stronger. Nothing wrong with throwing some machine work in there, but make the majority free-weight compound exercises if you want the most out of your workouts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I love machines for accessory work, especially on legs. They are also safer if training to true muscular failure. Nothing wrong with using them as long as you have some good compound lifts in your routine as well. They are also good for training around an injury...I have found that if I do not cycle pressing machines with free weight presses, my left shoulder starts to hurt pretty bad. I keep myself fresh by sandwiching a machine press day in between my free weight presses. Everyone is different...only you can find out what works for you. Just don't get machine happy...find a balance.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 09-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Always learning
    I stay away from nearly all machines. I'm sure they can be helpful when you are working around an injury, but I try to avoid them like the plague. Nothing, in my experience and opinion, beats good old dumbbells, barbells, and chains.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Banned
    My favorite machines are the leg curl and calf machines (standing and seated).

Here's your simple answer:

If you are a beginner, use machines for a few weeks or months. When you feel ready, move to free weights.
    This is to reduce risk for injury before using free weights (which use more muscle, coordination, etc. and are more beneficial)
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Aaron B - Music Composer MusicForMuscles's Avatar
    Check out the book "Beyond Brawn: The Insider's Encyclopedia On How To Build Muscle..."

It's a good read and will give you some valuable insight on training. It addresses machines vs dumbbells and barbells quite well, in my humble opinion
    Height: 6'1" | Weight: 235 | Goal Weight: 240 at < 9% BF

I create music specifically for listening to while lifting weights at MusicForMuscles.com

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    I stay away from nearly all machines.
    This. The only exception is the smith machine for Bulgarian lunges and high pulls. Aside from that, Give me some plates, a barbell, and some dumbbells and I am a happy camper.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by Derekflint View Post
    My favorite machines are the leg curl and calf machines (standing and seated).
    i second this and leg extensions, after squats of course.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

Persistence Persistence. - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal