Thread: 14 YO Weight training/ strenght gaining program help

Wannabebig New Member

14 YO Weight training/ strenght gaining program help

Hello. I am 14 years old, 5'9, 140lbs.
    I am a basketball player, and I want to be able to play physical, to play defense, to jump higher, to be stronger, to do every of these things, and not stunt or endanger my growth.
    I have absolutely no idea about weight training, I don't know how heavy do I lift, what way do I lift, which part of the body do I lift for, how many reps and sets... I basically have no idea. But I want to start improving my body, and I would need your help. So, do you have any plans for my sort of training, and tips, anything at all?
    thanks!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Given your age I am going to make the following assumptions:
    • you are in high school
    • there is a basketball coach in your school
    • you have teammates
    • you have a weightroom in your school

Given the following assuptions I might suggest asking a coach, regardless if they are JV or Varsity level, to see what kind of expectations they have of their players. Outside of this forum, I am challenging you to build rapport/ further a relationship with your coaches to see what kind of training they will have you do during season/off season.

NOW. I do reccomend picking up the book Starting Strength if you have never lifted before and start there. Starting Strength is AMAZING literature for the starting lifter. It has how-to's, diagrams, and basically anything you need to get your feet wet.

If there was any program that I would reccomend for a highschool athlete, it is 5/3/1. But above all reccomendations: EAT RIGHT. I know how bad school food is. I know how much pressure there is to fit in in high school. Food for centuries has been a huge vehicle in social interaction. Don't get sucked into crap food in your cafeterias (if it's bad). Be the bigger person, eat right, and you will not only BE a bigger person, but stronger and a more efficient athlete.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I agree with "thecityalive". I would recommend looking into plyometrics but start cautiously as doing these exercise improperly can injure you. Buuut it would probably have the most carry over to your basketball game. Ask you could about plyometrics exercises such as "Box Jumps". Hopefully he'll help you out.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Wannabebig New Member
    I am not in highschool. I am from Europe, so we have a bit different system. I am in elementary school, I play for a club, I still have a coach, and in my school we have weightroom. Yes, I have teammates.

Thanks for recommending plyometrics, alexspt, I'll try.

thecityalive, I cannot really ask my coach about lifting, he only coaches out the practice and then hurries home, he isn't a lot into doing overtime just to help me realise and learn how to weight-workout.

5\3\1 is a program, that tells you how much, how many times, and all these things for a in-puberty athlete? I am really worried, because I don't want to lift as much as someone who is 16, 17 year old... I want to lift, so I could still keep growing!

Lifting isn't going to stunt your growth, and you won't be lifting as heavy as you will when you are 16 years old. Buy the book Starting Strength and start reading. I don't think you can do much better than that without having a coach to help you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

No problem man. I know I tried plyometrics and they worked for me.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Aaron B - Music Composer MusicForMuscles's Avatar
    Another recommendation for "Starting Strength" from me as well. Also, if you really are worried about stunting your growth, I can understand because I was the same way when I was your age.

There isn't much scientific evidence (at least not that I have seen) that says you will stunt your growth. But, again since I understand the paranoia about it as I went through it myself, you could also try and stick with bodyweight exercises with your plyometrics as well.

You would be AMAZED at the strength and physique you could build at your age with pushups, bodyweight squats, crunches/situps, chins and pull-ups.

Combine these with plyometrics for building the fast twitch muscle fibers, along with a decent quality diet without all the junk food, and you could become a strong, powerful, athletic, and physically impressive athlete all at the same time.

Also, to ensure you grow properly and without injury, do research on some spine oriented yoga exercises. These can strengthen and lengthen your spine and keep it in good alignment so that you grow to your highest potential and avoid injury. Taking care of your spine will be the best way to grow to your fullest potential while training for sports.

Hope this helps
    Height: 6'1" | Weight: 235 | Goal Weight: 240 at < 9% BF

I create music specifically for listening to while lifting weights at MusicForMuscles.com

Wannabebig New Member
    So basically, if I use p90x (or a lighter version of it), that would just about do the trick?

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Use Starting Strength, not some DVD fad.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive