The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small tips that have a Big impact.

After being gone for so long, I figured I would chronicle a few things I've learned along the way that have made a big change in my training. It's sad to say, but the simple things are often overlooked. Too often people become lost in the search for a perfect routine and the fundamentals fall by the wayside.

1) Track your weight/reps: This has made such a difference in my training that I would go as far as saying that I severely hindered my progress in the past by not doing this. Perhaps I'm being a bit presumptuous by assuming that a lot of people (especially newbies) aren't doing this, but if you've trained at a public gym I'm sure you can relate. At a conventional chain gym, you might see 5% of people doing this, on a good day. I track my weight and reps for every single exercise, not just compounds.

2) Use correct form on things like push-ups, pull-ups and inverted rows: It goes without saying that correct form should be used on all movements - but I mentioned these specific body weight movements because these are often performed with a varying, fly by the seat of your pants form. If your goal is to improve your push-ups, it doesn't do much good to track your progress if you're varying your form from set to set, session to session. While performing certain movements like curls with a heavy weight and a not-so-perfect form might be good for breaking a plateau, I find that using a consistent, repeatable form for all of my body weight exercises is the only way to identify true progress. Without using a strict from, there's no way to know if those 2 reps you added were a result of added strength or sloppy form. For example, when I'm doing inverted rows - I do not count it as a rep unless my hands touch my chest.

3) Use 1/4lb, 1/2lb and 1lb plates: In going from a chain gym to a "real" gym, I now have access to these incremental plates and they've allowed me to add weight on a consistent basis without getting ahead of myself.

4) Avoid conventional cardio at all costs: I hated cardio so much that, for the bulk portion of my years in the gym, that I came up with a great solution for it - I didn't do it. Because of this, I was in terrible shape - even though I may have looked fit. The monotony of traditional cardio machines often leads to the overall exclusion of cardio from your routine all together - as they are incredibly drab. Instead, swing sledgehammers at tires, push a sled, row, run intervals - add in some crossfit-style cardio for short, intense sessions.

There you have it. I may add more as things come to mind. I hope this helps those of you that may be in the earlier stages of your lifting career, and could possibly serve as a reminder to those of us that have gotten lazy lately.
    Last edited by HahnB; 06-26-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I also like fractional plates and hate traditional cardio exercise.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Agree with all.

Good, helpful tips!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

I too enjoy long walks on the bea...wait...wrong thread, damnit. I hate cardio, traditional type, and love fractional plates, awesome stuff.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Fractional plates would take the fun right out of it for me and also mean you use the same movement over and over slowly adding which which I dont think works for too long.

My 2 cents.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I'm with NickAus, my only quibble is with the fractional plates.
    sure their nice to use once in a rare while, certainly for assist exercises, or training single or small muscle group.
    Other than that, I wouldn't waste too much time with fractionals.
    Last edited by Rugby Dad; 06-27-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Fractional plates would take the fun right out of it for me and also mean you use the same movement over and over slowly adding which which I dont think works for too long.

My 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    I'm with NickAus, my only quibble is with the fractional plates.
    sure their nice to use once in a rare while, certainly for assist exercises, or training single or small muscle group.
    Other than that, I wouldn't waste too much time with fractionals.
    Fractional plates are gold for anybody trying too eek out that last bit of progress while utilizing linear progression. If you aren't using linear progression, then they probably aren't worth the cost or the trouble.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hahn, hey mate, welcome back.

With you on all those.

Except for your views on, well... conventional cardio.
    (For obvious reasons, if anybody cared enough to read my new journal... which I discourage strongly).
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Hahn, hey mate, welcome back.

With you on all those.

Except for your views on, well... conventional cardio.
    (For obvious reasons, if anybody cared enough to read my new journal... which I discourage strongly).
    Thanks.

I think running (long(er) distances) is a part of conventional cardio which I can't do. I have chronic shin splints that spring up anytime I run on a consistent basis. I run shorter intervals, usually 2-400 meters mixed in with other stuff. I think there are benefits in moderate intensity, longer cardio sessions. I just never had the patience to stick to them. Switching to shorter, high intensity has allowed me to at least get some sort of cardio in, and it has also improved my muscular endurance. I'll have to check out the journal.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Banned
    I like these tips. But I also like running.
    Last edited by J.C.; 06-27-2011 at 01:15 PM.

where can you buy fractional plates? the only places i have around me are Dunham's and Wal Mart and neither of them sell them. I kinda live in the stick though, so that may be why the Dunham's doesn't have them? They have like 10 different ab machines and smith machines and everything i don't want (except for a dip/pullup station) :P

Banned
    Agree with everything excet the fractional plate thing, and that these are not "small tips"

Quote Originally Posted by dasfonzie View Post
    where can you buy fractional plates? the only places i have around me are Dunham's and Wal Mart and neither of them sell them. I kinda live in the stick though, so that may be why the Dunham's doesn't have them? They have like 10 different ab machines and smith machines and everything i don't want (except for a dip/pullup station) :P
    You might want to order online.

I'm sorry. I have no use for fractional plates.
    ( ^ - ^)

Track your weight/reps is the most Important of all the tips that you have shared with us.Thanks a lot for your tips,Just keep on adding more and more...
    Really a good post...

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Fractional plates are gold for anybody trying too eek out that last bit of progress while utilizing linear progression. If you aren't using linear progression, then they probably aren't worth the cost or the trouble.
    what the heck is linear progression training?
    sounds like some mombo jumbo training done by guys that barely look like they workout. Sorry.

sounds like some mombo jumbo training done by guys that barely look like they workout. Sorry.
    seriously?

it's the ideal of adding weight to the bar every time you do the exercise in question. it's one of the principles of the Starting Strength regimen. eventually you are not going to be able to add 5lbs to your lifts, so you need weights smaller than 2.5lbs

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    You might want to order online.
    any recommendation for places to order weights? i have no experience ordering exercise equipment online. i see on amazon 1.25lb plate pairs for 6.50 but then i also see this

http://www.amazon.com/APT-Weights-Fr...9278146&sr=1-2

which doesn't really say what they are, and seems very expensive

Actually linear progression is, in and of itself, relatively unspecific. You'll usually hear it in the context of music.

But really, it just means progressing from one point to the next in a stepwise fashion in fixed, regular intervals.

i.e. EVARY WEEK MOAR WIEGHT!

cheers.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

I see two possibilities here...

ONE: You truly do not know what Linear Pogression is and should therefore do some research before making comments on it.

or

TWO: You are simply trolling and looking to raise a negative response.

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    But really, it just means progressing from one point to the next in a stepwise fashion in fixed, regular intervals.

i.e. EVARY WEEK MOAR WIEGHT!
    A very simple and fine explanation of Linear Progression. Thanks.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post

A very simple and fine explanation of Linear Progression. Thanks.

Banned
    It's also worth pointing out, before some smart guy says otherwise, that not every type of program is a linear progression. Some programs have you rotate exercises, some have you changing reps from session to session, some have PR days every week or month or simply by feel. While these programs can be useful, a beginner can make far quicker progress by just adding weight every damn time. And they should want to do this for as long as possible.

Banned
    Does anyone else have small tips they want to share? More experienced guys...

Wannabebig Member
    I went years w/o a journal, wish I could get that time back.