The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Working out late at night? What to eat after?

Before I used to go to the gym during the day, but with my new job I have to go in the evening,around 7pm. I know after I should have som liquid carbs and protein, which I do, but then what? Should I eat another small meal an hour after that? And then a protein shake right before bed maybe another hour and a half after the meal?

Is this too much? I am 5'9" and 175lbs. I am trying to stay lean and not gain alot of weight.
    Thanks!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Jedi Master
    I recommend that you only drink water after your late evening workout. Because chances are you'll be sleeping relatively soon after your meal and then it just turns right into fat while you're asleep. any possible way you can wake up early and pump in the morning (before breakfast)?

water?!

Smoothie, just follow your diet plan as normal, but re-arrange it so your post w/o meal comes post w/o, like you are doing now.

About 90 minutes after your liquid carbs/protein, eat a meal consisting of whole-foods.

Protein shakes before bed aren't ideal. Is there not some sort of other whole-food you can eat?

I personally have tuna and oil usually.

or naan bread and chips if it's the weekend
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Wannabebig Member
    I prefer working out at night as I am a night person. I work at 830 in the morning and I have enough trouble with that let alone working out.

What if I take a protein shake after my workout, say around 9pm, no real food, then another one right before bed like I always do, say around 11-1130?

Bah that's not late..Do as CD said. Take your protein shake after you workout and then 60-90 minutes later, eat your last meal...and then go to bed whenever you do.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok thanks guys, I'll try that, taking my regular shake post workout then a meal before bed.

What is good to eat before bed, should I stay away from carbs like bread and rice? How long after I eat should I go to bed? The reason I took a protein shake literally 10mins before bed was I was afraid of losing muscle while I was sleeping.

good before bed:

cottage cheese
    tuna
    chicken
    skim milk (yeah I know everyone is going to say it's not, but it has casein in it, which is a slow digesting protein = good, if you are trying to get to 3% BF, then don't drink it, but if you are not, then it's fine (IMO)
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Smoothie, you want to EAT after you workout. It doesn't matter when. I know you don't have much choice in the matter but working out and then not eating for 6-8 hrs isn't exactly going to promote any muscle gain.

There is no magic fat adding hormone that comes out at night. It is just easier for most people to skip that last meal if you are cutting back on calories. Fatwise, your body works exactly like it does at any other time. The only difference is that you sleep through that first wave of hunger pains.

I'd even suggest a protein shake in the middle of the night. It will help keep your metabolism high, and you building muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    Fudomyo, so are you saying to a meal right before bed, or should I go to bed a little hungry?

Jedi Master
    This is where the theories differ. I said drink only water because I am stauchly against eating anything after 8pm even if your body craves it. There are some theories that we shouldn't eat until an hour after working out because our bodies are still burning calories, tho' some disagree and say to eat some protein right afterwards because they feel the body can absorb it the best at that time.

then again, I'm trying to lose weight, so if you're a person trying to gain size, then I guess it's cool to eat at night.

Even when losing weight you should be eating as soon after your workout as possible. Wether that be early or late does not matter. I agree with chicken and heathj. I usually have eggs and flax or pb before bed. I am also losing weight.

jcybex, im sorry but drinking only water after a workout and before bed would probably be the worst possible thing you could do, especially when losing weight. Really, if you eat this way I suggest you start eating protein and carbs right after your workout and see how much better you feel, or more muscle is retained.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Jedi Master
    cool. you guys are the experts. i work in the morning, so maybe that's why my mindset is jaded against eating at nite....

MACHINE
    Yeah, I eat 2 protein/fat rich/low carb meals after my post workout shake at 7:00pm, and I'm losing fat weight steadily. No need to starve yourself at night. The last thing you want to do if you'd like to retain muscle is deprive yourself of nighttime protein and fat. My post workout shake is at 7:00, and I'll eat again at 9 and 11:30, right before bed.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by Smoothie
    Fudomyo, so are you saying to a meal right before bed, or should I go to bed a little hungry?
    Eat right after you workout.
    Eat right before bed.
    Eat in the middle of the night.

Eat less during the day, if you are "cutting".

Less calories, but not less frequently. Even if you're trying to lose weight you should be eating every 2-3 hours or your body will become catabolic

Banned
    Have a post-workout shake containing protein and simple carbs like dextrose. After that, stick to whole food meals consisting of protein and fat.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by gino
    Yeah, I eat 2 protein/fat rich/low carb meals after my post workout shake at 7:00pm, and I'm losing fat weight steadily. No need to starve yourself at night. The last thing you want to do if you'd like to retain muscle is deprive yourself of nighttime protein and fat. My post workout shake is at 7:00, and I'll eat again at 9 and 11:30, right before bed.
    Gino, what kind of meals do you eat with high protein and fat? What are your numbers for the rest of the day as well, interms of what you eat?