Thread: Hoping someone could give me some feedback on my DE box squat [vid inside]

Wannabebig Member

Hoping someone could give me some feedback on my DE box squat [vid inside]

Hi All,

New member to the forum.

Hoping someone could give me some feedback on my DE box squat. My max squat is about 170kg (374 pounds), im sure i have got more in me than that..The weight on the bar here is 50kg (110lbs) as i was doing alot of form practice. I did 15 sets of 2 at that weight.

In my regular squat I had been failing about mid way up. Since i started doing low box squats it feels like i push the bar back now instead of up. I havent tried to 1RM a regular squat for about 8 weeks now (been doing other ME lifts liek rack pulls and deadlifts and basically trying to get used to the different exercises and build up my PC which has been neglected).

I have been trying to drop the box to about 12-13 inches. The box in the video is about that. Since it is a new height for me i had a little difficulty staying tight at the bottom hence why i was using 50kg (110lbs).

Any feedback anyone could give would be really really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Video

Im no expert but that looked pretty good!

I have seen way worse!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

It didn't look that bad. The only thing I would stop doing is rocking on the box to get off. Explode with your hips/glutes to get off.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Guys,

I can see the rocking as well, i think thats because i was struggling so much to keep tightness at the bottom. I will raise the box a bit and practice more. Should i be using some type of band or chain?

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    It didn't look that bad. The only thing I would stop doing is rocking on the box to get off. Explode with your hips/glutes to get off.
    I agree with this but will add that I would also not rock back on to the box in the first place. Descend, sit, then come right back up. You aren't building anything by rocking back and forth on the box. So hold form on the box. I see a lot of guys in contest who are strong as all heck off of a box but crumble under a big squat because they are used to descending with crummy form, then using the box to rest on and sit up before they come up. Hold your regular form on the box.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

You are sitting DOWN instead of back! The way you know your Box Squat is in good form, is when you see your shins in a 45 degree angle. The way you are working, I can appreciate it is quad dominant and not posterior chain.
    Besides that, sit back, and when you get up, start the movement with your head, following your chest up, and squeeze your posterior chain.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys a heap, really helpful. I have watched a few more videos of the guys at westside and I can see the difference alot better now thanks to you lot. It seems my shins/knees should never travel forward...they should always be perdendicular to the floor or past it. In that video my knees travel forward to both sit down and then to get back up. I am sure if i sat back properly and didnt rock to get back up i would not have my knees travel forward.

Niko can you let me know what you mean by that i know my form is good when i see my shins in a 45 degree angle?
    Last edited by roman209; 09-28-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi everyone,

Lets have a go at round 2, the box is raised and i have put a pillow on there as well. To me, this looks a lot better except you see i fall back at the top of the second rep. Other than that, i think i need to aim to hit more reps like the first.

Any feedback is appreciated guys/gals.

Thank you.

Here is the video - i am in a red shirt this time:

Video

EDIT: On second view I think i can stay tighter as i go back as i seem to be a tad loose when i hit the box...
    Last edited by roman209; 10-10-2011 at 05:02 AM.

They didn't look that bad. But I would focus on not dropping on the box like that.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Dive-bombing the box like Brian said. Control your descent. You are just falling back.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys, needs more work - i can definitely see what you guys mean. Ill go for round 3 next week.

Quote Originally Posted by roman209 View Post
    Thanks guys, needs more work - i can definitely see what you guys mean. Ill go for round 3 next week.
    Just keep working it and you'll get it.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

yep... still just sitting on the box.... touch it and go. You look relaxed on the box, stay tight....

Thanks guys a heap, really helpful. I have watched a few more videos of the guys at westside and I can see the difference alot better now thanks to you lot. It seems my shins/knees should never travel forward...they should always be perdendicular to the floor or past it. In that video my knees travel forward to both sit down and then to get back up. I am sure if i sat back properly and didnt rock to get back up i would not have my knees travel forward.

Niko can you let me know what you mean by that i know my form is good when i see my shins in a 45 degree angle?

Niko is wrong in this regard. And it isn't so much that your knees are traveling forward as at the bottom you are falling back, same with the second video, your knees shouldn't end up behind your heals, i know that is an exaggeration, but you are losing a lot of tightness at the bottom and still having to shift your body back forward.

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    yep... still just sitting on the box.... touch it and go. You look relaxed on the box, stay tight....
    Agree with this. I'd add, and some will disagree I think; that when you alter your squat technique to the point that you'd fall on your a** if it weren't there to catch you are not helping your squat. It's not even a squat anymore. The 'ONLY' reason I use a box is to reinforce and perfect my squat technique and create the 'imprint' in my mind as to what legal depth feels like consistantly. If done right my box squat looks just like my comp squat. I just touch it and go...no unload onto the box.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    Agree with this. I'd add, and some will disagree I think; that when you alter your squat technique to the point that you'd fall on your a** if it weren't there to catch you are not helping your squat. It's not even a squat anymore. The 'ONLY' reason I use a box is to reinforce and perfect my squat technique and create the 'imprint' in my mind as to what legal depth feels like consistantly. If done right my box squat looks just like my comp squat. I just touch it and go...no unload onto the box.
    I agree with you Buddy, the only thing I do different is, I'll pause on the box and then explode off. But I also like to mimic my box squat like my free squat.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Your form is just fine.

Invest in some bands. They are cheap, and they really are integral to speed training.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree with this.... with a pause like Brian or without.... http://youtu.be/m3jRZYbanHU it around 3:05 in this video I recorded some of my box squats ( sorry, but I couldn't get the same angle you got) .. you can see what I mean. I like how west side does their box squats, but you see a lot of less experienced guys try to work these a lot then fall apart on heavy free squats at a meet when there is no box to catch you.

Wannabebig Member
    No worries - thank you for the responses everyone, the feedback is great. I will try mimick my squat on the box without breaking form but i think i am going to have trouble doing that because i just seem to drop back even though i try to stay tight - it wouldnt surprise me if that was because of my weak ass hamstrings but i will keep at it.

Chris - thanks, i did get some bands. Looking forward to chucking them on when i get into things.

No worries - thank you for the responses everyone, the feedback is great. I will try mimick my squat on the box without breaking form but i think i am going to have trouble doing that because i just seem to drop back even though i try to stay tight - it wouldnt surprise me if that was because of my weak ass hamstrings but i will keep at it.

Chris - thanks, i did get some bands. Looking forward to chucking them on when i get into things.
    If you can squat to depth without the box, you should be able to squat to depth with it without falling back on it; unless you fall during your squat anyway. Don't think about the box being there as you start at first. Just do your regular squat and when you feel it, start up. Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks everyone.

Lets have a go at round 3 - from all the feedback you guys have given i seem to be spot on for the first rep, second one i drop a bit but i will continue to work on it. I filmed myself a few times, but i had trouble not droping on the box for both reps. I will keep practicing and will start putting the weight up. I think my videos have showed improvement from the first to third but if you guys dont think so let me know.

Video

Wannabebig Member
    If you can squat to depth without the box, you should be able to squat to depth with it without falling back on it; unless you fall during your squat anyway. Don't think about the box being there as you start at first. Just do your regular squat and when you feel it, start up. Good luck!
    Thanks for this btw, i keep telling myself as i sit back to imagine there is no box so hold tightness. I definitely felt that on the first rep i did in that video. This cue will really help me to make it perfect.

yup..... much better

Thanks for this btw, i keep telling myself as i sit back to imagine there is no box so hold tightness. I definitely felt that on the first rep i did in that video. This cue will really help me to make it perfect.
    You are very welcome!