The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Lower lat pain

Lower lat pain

Yesterday on my first squat warmup I got some pain in my right lower lat (or could be lower trap, hard to tell). I proceeded to go through my full body workout without any pain though, it's just a constant annoying pain. I can feel it the worst when I twist to my left or take a deep breath.

Anyone know what I may have done here or how I can speed up recovery?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Yesterday on my first squat warmup I got some pain in my right lower lat (or could be lower trap, hard to tell). I proceeded to go through my full body workout without any pain though, it's just a constant annoying pain. I can feel it the worst when I twist to my left or take a deep breath.

Anyone know what I may have done here or how I can speed up recovery?
    Sounds like a pain I get frequently also. Foam rolling it out often helps me. When mine occurs it is a bit more in the middle of my back than where you described (but similar in a sharp painful jab when taking a full breath). When I roll it my back is only half on the roller. Pretty much I'm just using the corner of my foam roller to dig into it and roll it.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 10-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Sounds like a pain I get frequently also. Foam rolling it out often helps me. When mine occurs it is a bit more in the middle of my back than where you described (but similar in a sharp painful jab when taking a full breath). When I roll it my back is only half on the roller. Pretty much I'm just using the corner of my foam roller to dig into it and roll it.
    Check out the "rumble roller" . That thing DIGS. It's great on the low back, glutes , and IT band too.
    Last edited by Patz; 10-07-2011 at 03:50 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Foam rolling looks to have worked wonders, thanks!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Get a lacrosse ball. You'll thank me later.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Just be careful it's not a rib that you pushed out of place. Speaking from experience, leaving those out only makes them worse over time.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    no pain no gain jk. as long as pain is away from joint u shud be good.

lay off the lower back for a bit and concentrate on core exercise, so abs, obliques, gluts, then go back work your lower back but this time lower your weight concentrate on form

Thanks for the replies all. I ended up messing this up again much much worse also on a squat warmup. The problem turned out to be during my warmups since they are so light I wasn't keeping my core very tight as I went down, causing my back to round at the bottom. Some muscle by the bottom of my lat and kinda between the lat and spinal erector got hurt, so saw a doc and they said I can train anything that doesn't hurt, and gave me some slow-releasing ibuprofen. I couldn't squat/deadlift for a week and bench was a bit tough (arching hurt a bit) but could do everything else. I kept foam rolling and taking the ibuprofen for the week and now I seem to be as good as new

I think you have pulled something relative to one of your ribs. I would not necessarily say it is out of place, but at least a strain of some sort.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Oh, and for me, find something that will train the muscles in the area of the problem and do 1-2 sets of a very light load for 100 reps. Do this on off days. The increased blood flow can speed healing.

You should also pay attention and see a doctor if you begin to suspect it is anything more than a pulled muscle etc.