The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

brand new slingshot

I just got a slingshot and did an ME session with it. I'm normally completely raw, and I have to admit my ego is pretty happy about the kind of weight I can move with that thing. My question is could I expect about the same difference (80 pounds first try) with something like a single-ply shirt?
    To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A bench shirt is harder to learn. It can be difficult to touch weights at first. Do you train with other powerlifters that wear gear? That's the way to do it. You can definitely get 100+ out of a 1-ply shirt. I've seen guys that get 300.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I have gotten about 175 out of my 1 ply rage x. That being said it is fairly loose fitting and it did take quite a few workouts to learn it.
    email Rudy at overkill and look into one of his one ply shirts.

Thanks for the replies. I had considered myself raw only (and really only beginner-intermediate at that) but I'm thinking my ego would probably be happier with the heavier weights of equpped benching. BTW, is that single-ply rageX usable in usapl? Only asking because I live in Phoenix and I know they have meets here two or more times a year.
    To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Slingshot is nice, but you'll get more from a single ply shirt once you learn it.... every manufacturer makes single ply gear that's solid..... Titan and Inzer are the big IPF ones, but if you don't care about IPF approval and just need the best single ply shirt I'd +1 for the Overkill. My wife did well in her 1-ply and nobody can deny the success that Luyando is having in his....

There is a decent crew out in Pheonix with a few good benchers. I know that Sidney Thoms is out there, she's gone 400+ in the masters devision and is great with the shirt.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzRockytop View Post
    I just got a slingshot and did an ME session with it. I'm normally completely raw, and I have to admit my ego is pretty happy about the kind of weight I can move with that thing. My question is could I expect about the same difference (80 pounds first try) with something like a single-ply shirt?
    I do not have any experience with bench shirts, but I have used the SlingShot and have used other equipment for deadlift/squat. I would say that a slingshot is similar to knee wraps in that it is easy to learn, but a suit (or bench shirt) will require you to change your form a bit in order to maximize the benefit from the equipment.

If you get a loose suit/shirt it should be easier to learn - but will provide less carryover.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I get 250-300 out of my single ply Titan Super Katana. It's USAPL/IPF legal. Rob Luyando gets about the same from his single ply Overkill. The Overkill should be IPF legal, but Rudy hasn't paid the IPF their ransom for shirt approval. You will have to change your groove/bar path to use a shirt effectively. Training with experienced geared lifters is necessary to learn it. The shirt doesn't "give" you anything. You will definately have to earn it.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

and here I was overjoyed about getting ~100lbs out of my F6. I think it may be time to move to a RageX or SK...
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

If you are already use to an F6, call Ken Anderson and he'll set you up with a SK. It doesn't get any better in single ply.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!