The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Aggravating Shoulder Injury

Hi Everyone,

I've been struggling with a shoulder injury lately. This originally started about 2 1/2 years ago when I started getting severe pain in the back of my shoulder doing overhead presses, and I did seek out professional treatment and I went to physical therapy for a few months for it. Initially claimed to be a "rotator cuff" injury I was given the basic treatment and was sent on my way. Now I did regain all my mobility back but since then ive continued to still feel pain with my bench no matter what I do. I've tried looking online but I only seem to find people who are having problems with pain when benching in the front of the shoulders and my pain is coming from the back.

Now that the background information is out of the way, i'd like to explain why im posting. I recently started the Baby Got Back routine from here and all was going well. I've made flat and incline my 2 exercises for my chest on the days I do chest/back. I get barely any pain on my flat bench and if I do get any its gone after the first few reps and completely dissapears for the rest of my sets, but on incline the pain has been so awful that i've decided to stop doing it at all. Being frustrated, I started looking up rear delt exercises and came across bent over rear delt raises. So I tried them last week, and using just 10 pounds I did 3 sets of 8 reps. When I woke up the following day my DOMS was so painful, which led me to believe that my rear delts could possibly just be really weak and maybe not injured after all.

So my question is, do you think I should lay off incline press for a few weeks (maybe longer) and just continue to try and make my rear delts a little more stronger? Or could I possibly still do my inclines if I stick to a 12 rep range as long as theres no pain? Or simply post if you have any experiences with a situation similar to mind. Remember, this injury was causes initially by overhead presses and now only affects my bench. I feel no pain when overhead pressing anymore.

Any input would be great and thank you in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm probably not qualified to respond to your specific lifting questions, but I can share what did help me with my shoulder.

I injured mine and it sidelined any and all pressing movements for 3 months. It sucked. I did P.T. (stretching and some mobility things). That helped about 20%. Then I resorted to a cortisone injection. That helped more, and got me to about 60%. But I still couldn't lift.

Ultimately what worked for me was taking 2 ibuprofin every four hours religiously for 10 days straight. That got me to 100%. I suspect what happened was the anti inflammatory bought me a big enough window of time that the swelling went down and it was allowed to rest and not re-aggravate it.

My shoulder still has lingering reminders of the injury, during certain movements, and I'm very mindful when doing OHP or dips, etc. But I can lift again pretty much as before. Ibuprofin isn't the be-all, end-all remedy. Review the side effect. But it worked for me.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis