Thread: Passed out while sprinting............ related to drinking? dehydration? I don't know

Passed out while sprinting............ related to drinking? dehydration? I don't know

Ok. Here's what happened. And I'm a total novice when it comes to drinking so I'm gonna ask some dumb questions; please bear with me. Sorry for the novel, too

Friday night I went out and had... rough estimates here... 10 shots of crappy vodka and then probably like 6 beers. It was enough to get me pretty drunk (which probably means I can't hold my alcohol, but whatever) but not enough to give me a hangover the next day or anything like that. Saturday night I had maybe 8 shots and 5 beers.

Sunday I went to the gym and lifted a bit, set a 3x3 Bench PR so I thought I was feeling pretty good. I didn't drink as much water as I should have, not very much at all by my standards (I drank maybe a quart. Normally I have about a gallon.) But the thing is, my piss was still almost clear even 24 hours after my last beer. If I was dehydrated it would have been yellow right?

So anyways it's monday. I have a big breakfast at 9:30 and then a small lunch at noon, drinking a little water throughout the day and my urine is still clear (or close to it), which is surprising to me because I feel like I haven't drank enough water to be properly hydrated. But anyways, I start my workout at 3:30. You don't need to know exactly what we were doing, i'll just say that we did fast shuttle runs for 1 min and then rest for 2:30 (6 sets total). Anyways, this is a Track team thing and I'm running it with jumpers, pole vaulters, and other sprinters. My endurance and speed both are better than about 90% of the guys I was running with, drastically in some cases.

So in the last 10 seconds of the very first set my legs are locking up BAD. I run the 400m so I know what lactic acid buildup feels like, this was different... my legs weren't just moving slowly; I was barely able to pick them up at all. I'm trying to hide it and whatever, so when the second set starts I go out way slower trying to conserve energy. I make it for about 20 seconds before I black out and fall over. A coach is tapping me on the side saying "don't quit on me!" so I get up and run again... for about 5 seconds where i collapse and just stay down. From there I was blacked out for probably 7-10 minutes (my estimation; nobody told me). I woke briefly because some guys were trying to stand me up, but then I was out again. Finally someone gets me up again and walks me to a bench, I'm falling all over the place because I can barely support my weight and shit, and then I sat there and drank water until I felt good enough to walk home.

It's bewildering to me that I couldn't even make it through 30% of the workout. I've never blacked out from exercise before by the way. The only other thing that occurs to me is that I hadn't eaten since noon (workout started at 3:30) where in the past I would want to eat something about an hour before I workout. But still, hungry and mildly dehydrated as I may have been, I can't imagine why it would such an adverse effect (my body has never come close to giving up on me like this before). And if I'm being honest, this is the heaviest weekend of drinking I've had before a tough workout like this, but again I had almost 40 hours to get over it so I don't see how that could be it...

mostly I'm wondering if it could be alcohol related i guess. Is this something that might happen to a guy who hardly ever drinks, but an athlete who goes out every weekend could have built up a tolerance to?
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

You were dehydrated, plain and simple

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Even though I was pissing clear all day sunday and monday?
    I mean, I hope that's all it was.

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Even though I was pissing clear all day sunday and monday?
    I mean, I hope that's all it was.
    Yes. The reason your urine was clear is because your body was pulling all the water from your muscles.

Alcohol is a diuretic.

Add that on top of not drinking much water at all and you end up with the results you had. Common sense goes a long way

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

ha, well, thanks for pointing out the obvious then (seriously). lesson learned.
    Last edited by Dgro; 09-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.

FYI man, 16 drinks is what's known as "a lot". After you had 13 the next night your liver called me and said it was requesting a transplant to somebody less cruel to it, like Kevin the homeless dude down the road who only does a box of wine a day.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I'm surprised your coach and team didn't express extreme concern about your condition...

Reread Belial's post.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Like I said I don't drink much (i've been drunk less than probably 15 times in my life) and I really didn't think 16 drinks was that much. The fact that I didn't throw up or get a hangover let me keep believing this. But now that it's tuesday and I still feel like shit, I'm beginning to figure it out. Yes, I'm an ignorant dumbass, I know

Sensei, yeah, I'm a little surprised too. Apparently a few guys were checking on me while I was down but it did take a while to get my ass to a bench. This isn't the first time i've seen a coach wax indifferent to this sort of situation though.

Quite frankly, your coach and team suck. The fact that they didn't call an ambulance speaks volumes.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quite frankly, your coach and team suck. The fact that they didn't call an ambulance speaks volumes.
    I agree. If you truly were blacked out for 7-10 minutes that is.

I really didn't think 16 drinks was that much.
    It is. Particularly when you back it up with 13 more the following night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    No kidding, I would be pretty pissed if I was in that situation.

Travis is probably right, but you should see a doctor to be sure.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive