Thread: Shoulder Impingement Workaround(s)?

Shoulder Impingement Workaround(s)?

This is probably a lame question, but I'm grasping at straws here. Have been training hard for a meet that is four weeks away and am ready for some big PRs, but unfortunately, I got overzealous on the bench and ended up with a rotator cuff impingement (infraspinatus) on Monday. Saw my MD, chiro, and physical therapist. Usual recommendations and rehab, but of course, that includes staying away from any movement that will further tweak the area. I don't want to do something stupid that might result in a tear, but if I am to compete, I'll need two decent training sessions on the bench between now and then.

This will be my last meet for a long time. I've worked hard, and I'd covet the bragging rights that would come along with repeating as the top 165lb age 60+ raw lifter in the country this year (ref: PL Watch 2010 and 2011 masters' [M3/M4] ratings). Any ideas? The pain is only during external rotation, and the pain level has dropped from high to moderate over the past 72 hours, if that helps.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 09-30-2011 at 05:58 AM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

I know if it were me, I wouldn't do the meet.

I've seen two infraspinatus tears, one of them being George Halbert and it was ugly to watch. And once that thing goes, you're headed for a lot of pain and a surgeon.

There is always another meet. why not just give yourself 6 months and pick another one?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I have to agree with Travis on this one.

I was plagued with rotator issues for the last few years and all that heals them is time. Give yourself 2 solid weeks of nothing and gauge how the pain feel than go from there

Travis - Sage advice. Unfortunately, at my age, there may not be another meet. (Then again, if I tear that puppy there may also not be another recovery.)

Dank - That's the pretty much the plan. Assuming I'm pain free, I'll test the water a week from next Wednesday by first doing some very light warmups, then slowly progress to my second attempt with singles, unless I feel pain. If I don't have to stop before my planned opener, I'll compete full power. If not, maybe I'll do deadlift only. Not what I want, but on the bright side, I'll have a better shot at breaking 500.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    The only reason why there wouldn't be another meet is if you are dying. Not eventually, soon.

If you are dying then screw it and do the meet, if not then you should back off and do another meet.

I watched Erne Frantz squat 500 at 76 years old with a collapsed lung.... you are never too old for powerlifting.

On the small chance that you actually ARE dying..... my condolences...
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    The only reason why there wouldn't be another meet is if you are dying. Not eventually, soon.

If you are dying then screw it and do the meet, if not then you should back off and do another meet.

I watched Erne Frantz squat 500 at 76 years old with a collapsed lung.... you are never too old for powerlifting.

On the small chance that you actually ARE dying..... my condolences...
    ROFL. Very good, big guy. Half expected Travis to come back with a similar comment about Louis Simmons, who is close to my age and is still lifting large after working his way back from some pretty horrendous injuries. I'm just letting off steam. I coach Lifters Without Limits, a team of senior (and disabled) PLers, who range in age from 62 to 79. So, I really do know it's only over when we say it's over.

Update: After five days, pain level has dropped from 7 to 2, thanks to rest (other than rehab), coupled with massage, trigger point and hot/cold therapy with easy stretching.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 10-01-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Lacross ball the hell out of your shoulder and get some indian clubs to strengthen the joint up. Those two things took alot of pain out my shoulders.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Lacross ball the hell out of your shoulder and get some indian clubs to strengthen the joint up. Those two things took alot of pain out my shoulders.
    Thank you, Scott. I've been using a tennis ball across the trigger points on and around the scapula, but I think I'm ready for something more hardcore, like the lacrosse ball. Had forgotten about the indian clubs.