The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Max lower and Dynamic lower Question

i got an idea from jim wendlers 5/3/1 for power lifters, i was thinking of doing for example say this week ill do max upper tonight and Wednesday ill do max lower then Friday dynamic upper then the next week ill do dynamic lower instead of max lower so instead of doing two lower days each week ill switch every week the lower days and would that be fine to do, for i have seen a similar thing when people will deadlift one week and sqaut the next
    Last edited by Bosshogg300; 10-03-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    " though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you "
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21
    (Raw lifts) - BP-325 SQ-600+ DL-520
    My journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...art&highlight=

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    If you're concerned about ME/DE days, why wouldn't you just do the Westside method? I don't know how you'd go about calculating 5/3/1 for speed work or max work.

Pick one 5/3/1 or Westside. Don't try to make a casserole. When done by someone who knows what they are doing the casserole can be delicious, but when you can't get the ingredients right they turn to shit quickly.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

My reading of the original post isn't that he is planning on mixing Westside with 5/3/1. He's planning on doing the Westside workouts. Every week he'd do the ME upper and Dyn Upper day, but on Wednesdays he'd do ME lower one week then Dyn Lower on the following Wed.

Can you make progress if you do ME every other week and Dyn effort on the other weeks? Hoping the extra time off would allow for better recovery. I think this also assumes the upper body recovers faster than the lower.

From a Westside perspective I'd say the answer is no, that training ME and DE that infrequently wouldn't result in detraining. But if you do it, let us know how it goes.

RFabsik i am trying to do exactly what you said , and i know its not the conventional westside routine and people will be leary to deviate from the traditional 4 day routine but i feel my lower body responds better than my upper so, im going to try it out and like you said ill rocover better
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Don't try to make a casserole. When done by someone who knows what they are doing the casserole can be delicious, but when you can't get the ingredients right they turn to shit quickly.
    Now that's pure poetry! I've been looking for a quote to put in my footer. Thanks Joey!

Wannabebig New Member
    If your lower body responds better, why wouldn't you stick to the traditional routine? Good response means good training.

If your upper is lacking, you may want to re-evaluate what has been working and what hasn't. Remember that the Westside Method is all about finding your weak points. It comes to down to something as small as changing your form ever so slightly. You can do the old style of Westside where they change ME exercises every two weeks, or the later style where they change ME movements every week. Something to consider before going a bit off course.

thats a good point i am just trying to work alot of conditioning work in with agilty and polymetrics and such and not have my legs sore from my leg workouts that why i thought about going to one day a week, and its not that my upper body doesnt respond well but it just takes alot more work for it to respond like my legs
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

Banned
    You mentioned plymetric and conditioning work. First - what is the goal of this training cycle? Strength, competiton or conditioning? If it's conditioning, then you cna play around with the template. If it's sternth, then you need to focus on the stuff that's going to make you stronger.

Have focus in training and have a plan. The plan will change, but see it through for the set time you created it for. Otherwise, you'll never really get anywhere.

This is how I would address your issue.

Week 1
    Monday - ME Squat/DL
    Wednesday - ME Bench
    Friday - DE Squat/DL

Week 2
    Monday - DE Bench
    Wednesday - ME Squat/DL
    Friday - ME Bench

Week 3
    Monday - DE Squat/DL
    Wednesday - DE Bench
    Friday - ME Squat/DL

This will allow for plenty of rest for your legs. Remember, have some focus so you can actually make progress.

well my fgoals are both i am just trying to find a happy median and get ready for athletics but i certainly want to always get stronger
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21