The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

how many days of the week you do pre/rehab?

The other thread from Vincent reminded me how important rehab/prehab/recovery is. We beat the living crap out of our bodies and its always good to stay injury free. Stretching is important, but I'd like to see how often you: foam roll, get massages done, inversion table, liniments, lacrosse/tennis ball pressure points, use bands, ice/heat, etc. Would be great to know what injury (if any) you are treating and see what has worked for you.
    I personally foam roll twice a week (full body). I get on the inversion table 1-3x a week hanging upside down for 3 minute intervals (x2). For pecs, I like to use a tennis ball and lean against a wall pushing my weight into it to hit those pressure points. The nerves on my lower back are compressed and I find that the inversion hanging and foam roller helps a lot. I haven't seen much progress using ice/heat but maybe I am doing them wrong?
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 10-05-2011 at 02:20 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wish I followed something. I try to finish up my training early enough to spend 5-10 mins doing a full body stretch. and when I feel something nagging I'll generally give it some foam rolling to shut it up. Other than that I've started going for a massage every month or two rather than once a year now and I've noticed quite the improvement.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I roll every day with a rumble roller and hit my body with a lacrosse ball daily as well. I do mobility work 4 times per week. I also do 25 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5 speed 2 tiomes per week to keep my hips and legs healthy.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I train 3 days per week and pre-hab each training day; so 3 days.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I notice a pretty big difference when I foam roll almost every day. I usually don't hit my whole body, just any muscle group that is sore/any knots.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Please noone flame this comment but, what is a foam roller? and what does it do exactly because im doing literally 0 prehab or rehab right now other than a little tredmill to stay loose. Maybe I should look into this foam roller?
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

Quote Originally Posted by headache View Post
    Please noone flame this comment but, what is a foam roller? and what does it do exactly because im doing literally 0 prehab or rehab right now other than a little tredmill to stay loose. Maybe I should look into this foam roller?
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=143&pid=1468
    http://train.elitefts.com/exercise-index/foam-roller-2/

you can pretty much google more info on it. all it takes is 5-10min of your time to get its benefits

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Apart from a hot shower and the occasional massage from the G/F nothing unless you count stretching prior to the workout. I have however started wrapping my wrists and knees and noticed that they feel a lot better afterwards as opposed to training without.

Ahhh ok that makes alot of sense thank you, Im gonna look into buying one deffinetly a helpful thread!
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

Impinged rotator cuff (infraspinatis) on September 26th. Here's what I've done since:
    1. RICE for first 48 hours
    2. Started rehab -- external rotation movements and stretching -- on third day. These are done every day for two sets of forty reps.
    3. Foam roll and hit trigger points in shoulders with tennis ball every day
    4. Banded disconnects every other day; thirty reps with a light band
    5. Hot tub to a cool pool (or ice) several times a day
    6. Chiropractor has done adjustments, ART, and stretching twice so far. The ART was VERY successful.
    7. Have used a linament and Tiger Balm, but I don't know if either has helped. Feels good though.
    8. Diet squeeky clean, except for two light beers nightly (to ease the pain, of course!)

After nine days (yesterday), the pain was gone, except first thing in the morning. With fear and trembling, tried a few bench presses using a shoulder width grip: bar x10, 65x10, 95x10, 135x8. No trauma at all. Moved grip out a smidge (still well inside rings): 175x3, 205x1. Shoulder felt "unstable", but still no pain. Did a single with 215. Still okay, but shoulder said "Push me one more time and you're toast". Took a ten minute break, then experimented with 135. Used grips from thumbs inside smooth to ring fingers on rings (my comp grip). Found I can go as far as pinkies on rings without trauma. Thought using lower bar placement on the chest and a tighter elbow tuck would help, but my normal sternum to nipple level placements and forty-five degree tuck worked fine, even though shoulders were much tighter.

Finished with repeat of rehab exercises, twelve minutes on the shoulder ergometer, and a lot of hot/cold. Also worked rest of upper body at moderate intensity. Very slight, intermittent pain after session, but doubt I regressed more than a day.

Will continue therapy as is but do no other upper body work for a week. Assuming pain is still absent, will see if I can move my BP up fifteen to thirty pounds. Will have my spotter keep his hands on the bar and tell him to "keep it moving".

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 10-06-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5