Thread: maxing out linear gains prior to a periodized program

maxing out linear gains prior to a periodized program

hey guys,

I finished runs of SS and SL5x5. I've been lifting for a year and a half.

I'm interested in starting 5/3/1 but I'd like to ensure I have milked all the linear gains out of my system prior to starting 5/3/1.

What I'm thinking about doing is basically doing the same lifts as SS but instead of 3x5 straight across, doing 5x3 ramping from about 50-60% up to my current 5RM and then put 5 pounds on it each session. 3 reps should help increase my 1RM strength on which you base your 5/3/1 numbers.

Is this an OK idea? I figure over the course of a month or two I will probably plateau, and then start 5/3/1 but in the process I should be able to put some weight on my 1RMs.

Thanks,

philip

I see what you're trying to do, but if it were me I would avoid hitting a plateau, just test my max and then start on 531 (assuming 531 is what you want to end up doing)

I don't like hitting plateau's. It greatly slows down my progress because (obviously) progress comes to a halt when you hit it, and then it takes some time to get things going again. Although some times it's going to happen, staying ahead of hitting plateau's is probably one of the biggest challenges in powerlifting.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I agree with Travis.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I don't like hitting plateau's. It greatly slows down my progress because (obviously) progress comes to a halt when you hit it, and then it takes some time to get things going again.
    I hadn't really ever thought of it like that. You have me rethinking and questioning some of my beliefs for beginners. I'd like to read more opinions and experiences with this.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I see what you're trying to do, but if it were me I would avoid hitting a plateau, just test my max and then start on 531 (assuming 531 is what you want to end up doing)
    Right; the 'problem' I am trying to mitigate is going from SL5x5 where I am lifting (more or less) my max 5x5 3 times a week to going on 5/3/1 where I will be ramping up to less than my 1x5 and 1x3.

I understand the differences between SS/SL5x5 and a periodized plan like 5/3/1. I understand I can't milk linear gains forever workout to workout, I was just trying to think of a way to bridge the gap... Is there something else I should consider or just bite the bullet and start 5/3/1?

Thanks Travis,

philip
    Last edited by everphilski; 10-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I hadn't really ever thought of it like that. You have me rethinking and questioning some of my beliefs for beginners. I'd like to read more opinions and experiences with this.
    You have a good point about beginners as well. I think with them, boredom is more often confused with a plateau.

Staying ahead of plateaus has more to do with assessing and addressing weakness, which can be difficult for beginners, but is still important.

Quote Originally Posted by everphilski View Post
    Right; the 'problem' I am trying to mitigate is going from SL5x5 where I am lifting (more or less) my max 5x5 3 times a week to going on 5/3/1 where I will be ramping up to less than my 1x5 and 1x3.

I understand the differences between SS/SL5x5 and a periodized plan like 5/3/1. I understand I can't milk linear gains forever workout to workout, I was just trying to think of a way to bridge the gap... Is there something else I should consider or just bite the bullet and start 5/3/1?

Thanks Travis,

philip

What bridge are you afraid you need to gap? I'm afraid I got a little lost now lol.

You aren't going to get any weaker either way. But if you just test and then bounce right into 531, you aren't wasting any down time in training. Whereas if you wait until your training stalls (plateau) thats a period of time where you aren't getting stronger. Wasted time, so to speak. Not getting weaker, but not getting stronger either.

Travis, you hit it on the head, he is worried he will lose strength because he isn't going balls out multiple times per week...

Fucking Starting Strength and Rippetoe... Ruins so many young minds...

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Travis, you hit it on the head, he is worried he will lose strength because he isn't going balls out multiple times per week...

Fucking Starting Strength and Rippetoe... Ruins so many young minds...
    Chris, I understand you can't go balls to the wall every workout. But you can initially when you are starting untrained with nothing but a bar or a broomstick. If I had started with the bar and 5/3/1 a year and a half ago my maxes would be 225 squat, 225 deadlift, 135 bench press (45lb bar +5lb/mo BP, +10lb/mo Sq/DL).

I'm not worried about losing strength so much as I'm concerned that I wont really be gaining much to start. There's a difference between losing and maintaining. I know ultimately 5/3/1 will be advantageous.

philip

Quote Originally Posted by everphilski View Post
    I'm not worried about losing strength so much as I'm concerned that I wont really be gaining much to start. There's a difference between losing and maintaining. I know ultimately 5/3/1 will be advantageous.

philip
    You'd be making gains just fine. However if you wait until you plateau then you'd be right, you stop making gains.

UDPATE: I'm in week 2 of 5/3/1. I'm lifting 3 days a week (M: squat/ohp, W: BP, F: DL).

Starting 1RM's (90% of tested 1RM): squat: 275, ohp: 115, BP: 160, DL: 380

Accessory work:
    - Chinups, neutral grip, 6x4 (last week) 6x5 (this week), M/W/F. Eventually adding weight.
    - Standing cable crunch 3x10, M/F
    - Standing oblique crunch 3x10 M/F
    - Good Morning 3x10, W

I lift in my garage, just got a chin bar, so I'm working on building up chinning strength.

I've never worked abs directly and when testing my 1RM squat/deadlift the abs seemed to be the first thing to go.

I'll reassess in a month or two. I'll probably add in dips, keep the chins, and reduce abs to once a week.

My only complaint is my legs feel underworked. As a kid/in college I played soccer and I bike several thousand miles a year, leg volume has never been a problem for me. I'm sucking it up for now but may add some accessory work in the future.

philip
    Last edited by everphilski; 10-12-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Your abs should be the LAST thing to go. For about ten bucks you an get a cheap ab wheel, or, you can make your own with a couple lawnmower tires, a 10" long hex bolt that fits into them, and a bunch of duct tape (for the "handles" around the hex bolt.) Google Ross Enamait if you need to.

Do roll-outs on your knees multiple times a week for a few sets, eventually, meaning work your way up starting with just one set... and expect to really feel it the next day.

Your abs should be the strongest link in the chain.