The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: low back pain

low back pain

I have had on and off low back pain for about 5 months. It's real sporadic. I feel like sometimes doing deadlifts helps and sometimes it doesn't. I try stretching my back out quite a bit before going to the gym. It will feel good for a couple weeks and then all of a sudden start hurting again. I am a student so it might be related to leaning over at a desk studying for hours each day.

I just don't want to be causing any permanent damage. The pain isn't crippling but it definitely hurts. If anyone has had a similar problem what have you found helpful, stretches, etc.? I've tried taking some time off but when I go to the gym and workout it sometimes makes the pain go away. I'm doing SL 5x5 right now, btw.

If I were to pursue this what kind of doctor should I go to?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I''m sure a proper physical would get you a sturdy referral.

As a side: do you foam roll at all?
    Last edited by thecityalive; 06-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Back pain is a bit vague. Is it upper back or lower back? Is it sharp shooting pain or muscle soreness pain? These are just two questions, there are too many for anyone to diagnose here, I would recommend calling your Doc and setting up an appointment. You don't realize how much you use your back until you are laid out flat and can't move. Been there, done that.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

yeah proper stretching and foam rolling can really make a big difference.
    Check out my journal:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

Goal To be the Strongest Huggins! - started again on 2/24/11 then again 2/27/12
    squat: 420 405 x 5
    bench: 355 320 x 3
    deadlift: 455 420 x 3
    Total 1215 on a single day

Deadlifts help with guarding the back against injury, or rehabbing the back after the injury has healed. I would never do deadlifts with an injured back!!!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I wish I could help you but I've been on and off with back pain for months now too. I have a dull pain very low, right around the belt line, that doesn't feel like a muscle. No idea what it is. Doctor dismissed it as a strained muscle which it definitely isn't because of how long it's been lingering. I'm see a different doc in a couple weeks. Hopefully getting an MRI

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

When you say this:
    Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    I try stretching my back out quite a bit before going to the gym.
    ...what do you mean? If you mean flexing the lumbar, you're probably aggravating your condition.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

its the weirdest thing....two days ago my lower back was hurting but I went to the gym anyways and did squats and deadlifts. While doing deadlifts I felt some soreness but I wouldnt say it was severe. Now today my lower back feels way better! I don't know what to make of it because theres definitely something going on or else I wouldn't feel any pain.

For stretching lower back I mostly just lock my knees and touch my feet and bring my knee to my chest one at a time while lying on my back. Don't know many other back stretches but I think these help a little.

http://endyourbackpainnow.com/blog/f...elief-webinar/

Ive been trying to research my problem. This guy seems to know his shit. His name is Sam Visnic and what he's saying makes sense to me at least. He has some youtube videos as well.

Based on what he is saying it seems my pelvis might be imbalanced. Probably an anterior pelvic tilt. This would mean my quads are too tight and my hamstrings are too weak. And, my abs are too weak and my lower back is too tight.

Ive been doing SL 5x5 for 2 weeks and really like it but I feel like it would not be helping my problem since it focuses on squats and deadlifts. Squats focus more on quads and deads more on lower back, right? Any ideas on what I could do that this point. I really don't want to stop the program but I also don't want to make my problem worse.

Things that could help you...

Squat to a box. The box will help with your form by making you sit back and balance the efforts between your quads and hams. Just make sure to pick a box height that gets you to parallel or below. You don't have to deload onto the box, you could just tap the box and rise back up. That will give you all the form cues and ensure depth.

Really keep a sharp eye on deadlift form. The deadlift can be your best freind or worst enemy if you have back issues. Done properly it can really help to strengthen your back and return you to a normal life. Done poorly it can absolutely destoy your back. Don't be a hero and try for more weight at the expense of poor form, better to save it for a day that your form is dialed-in correctly.

Strong abs are very important for a healthy back. Forget anything that has the word "Planks" in it, stick to heavy traditional exercises; situps, sidebends, hanging leg raises, etc. Make your mid-section strong.

Conditioning is also important, get rid of that belly (if you have one) and keep moving. Sitting around is about the worst thing ever for a bad back, it just brings on the pain. Excess bodyweight in the form of unneeded fat will also put a strain on the back. So keep moving.

And finally, stretching is so very important. Keep the back, hams, and hips nice and loose. There are a bunch af great stretching routines that you can find out there. I find the simple ones to be the best because it's easy to get into the habit of doing them every day. They don't have to be complex yoga poses to be effective.

I went through a very severe back injury and these are the things that have helped me the most.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post

Forget anything that has the word "Planks" in it,
    curious as to why you say stay away from planks? not that i disagree jus wondering why you dont recomend them.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    curious as to why you say stay away from planks? not that i disagree jus wondering why you dont recomend them.
    Because for my back injury, I want ab strength, not endurance. I get enough static strength from squats and deads.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Because for my back injury, I want ab strength, not endurance. I get enough static strength from squats and deads.
    makes sense, thanks.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

I agree w. everything Off Road said except maybe this.
    Actually, Stuart McGill (a lower back dude) recommends that improving strength endurance, not limit strength is more important for lower back health.

In any case, planks aren't exactly "endurance" work as most people are going to be doing them for less than a couple minutes at a shot.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

When I was having back pain, I was using too much weight. Dropped the weight and made sure my form was good and increased as long as I was not having back pain. Now I have no problems.

I think you can throw on much more weight and cheat the weight up, but you will hurt your back. I would drop the weight at a point where you can deadlift with no back pain, then increase only as you do not have back pain.

I think part of the fix for my anterior pelvic tilt is to increase the strength of my abs. So if I want more tone in my abs to pull up on the anterior part of my pelvis, what rep range should I be shooting for?

If low rep ranges (< 10) are more for strength and higher rep ranges 20-30 are more for endurance should I be shooting for 10 or less in my sets?

Hurt my lower back 3 times already. I found the williams exercises for low back pain to be effective each time.