Thread: Deadlift madness

Hybrid View

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar

Deadlift madness

Video

My deadlifts from this morning's workout. (click to view journal entry)

Volume plus my 425x4 PR. Not bad for 6am. (lmao I just noticed I edited my 395 incorrectly and only showed 3 of the 6 I did)

...as always, comments, criticism, and feedback is always appreciated!
    Last edited by thecityalive; 10-10-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Strong dude

Thank you, sir. I certainly feel strangely stronger on a manic Monday morning.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Banned
    I'm impressed. Quite a lot of volume for the deads too.

Nice deadlifting, yeah I agree a lot of volume. Do you get mad DOMS from that?

Just curious, have you ever tried deadlifting each rep from a dead stop, and if so was it harder or easier?

DOMS? Yeah, but it isn't as bad as you'd think.
    Do I feel it that day? Yes, but nothing insane the following day.

On dead stops: I have. It isn't harder (IMO), but I like to finish this work out as efficiently as possible...not to mention as fast as possible. Deadlifting from a deadstop (especially) takes a bit much more time than touch n go does.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on deadlift practice when it comes to reps n such, but here is my philosophy: Touch n go holds about just as much value as starting from a dead stop. While resetting at a dead stop may help focus more on speed off the floor, I feel as long as you have made contact and retained the tautness between the bar and weight, you are doing the same thing.

I enjoy training singles and resets. Hell, you saw me do it in the video when I got tired towards the end. It's just not how I train with this sort of volume.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 10-11-2011 at 04:44 AM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Great pulls!!

You tried closer grip?
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Nice pull dude.
    Man that WAS a lot of volume. Have you considered doing more sets and fewer reps? You gain for strength that way.

Hit me up if you want all the Sheiko cycles.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

I'm suprised you kept your sweatshirt on the whole time, deadlifts warm you up pretty quick lol

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Great pulls!!
    You tried closer grip?
    Like from a sumo stance or conventional? From where I pull, I have about an inch from my inner most part of hand to the smooth of the bar. Or are you talkin about a closer grip like a sumo grip?

Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    Nice pull dude.
    Man that WAS a lot of volume. Have you considered doing more sets and fewer reps? You gain for strength that way.
    Hit me up if you want all the Sheiko cycles.
    I have considered doing rep ranges from the 1-3 range, but I've shot up in strength doing it this way. Pretty sure my erectors are made of steel now.lol. I want to somewhere along the lines incorporate singles for max effort. As I've said before, this workout is taxing, but I am developing a scary strength boost as a result of doing it (or a result of being stubborn, take your pick).

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    I'm suprised you kept your sweatshirt on the whole time, deadlifts warm you up pretty quick lol
    I enjoy having the hoodie on in the morning. After this workout, trust me, the shirt I have under it is soaked.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

well, I suppose I'll be the bad guy..

1) you're going to blow a hammy, be very careful doing your reps like that (touch & go). I use to DL touch & go. I'm not saying you'll blow your hamstring in this particular fashion, but if you injure it some other time, it's much easier to reinjure if you're deadlifting this way. I blew my hammy in late 09 and then again 5 more times, all doing deads touch and go and allowing my ass to shoot up.

2) your ass shoots up on your first rep, which I assume would probably do so on every rep if you did a full reset. I'm terrible at analyzing what the weakness is that's causing it, but I can tell you a few things that I see wrong. Before you begin your pull, you sink your ass and arch your back. This is perfect, however, as you begin to pull, you look down and your ass shoots up. Then you pretty much stiff leg it. I think there may be a weakness in your glutes and/or core. You need to keep your chest up the entire time. Wendler says to pick a spot on the floor about 10-15 feet in front of you and focus on that. I personally like to look straight ahead as it reminds me to arch my back and stick my chest out. Right before you pull, take the tension out of the bar rather than grip and rip, which can cause you to jerk and possibly injure your back. Flex your lats to lock your upper back in place. Here's the big one, focus on pulling BACK, not up. It should be damn near dragging up your shins and as soon as it hits your knees your finishing the pull by pushing your glutes and hips through, not "straightening out". Push your hips right through the bar to lock it out.

Here is a vid from a while back, most of my vids nowadays are combos of different lifts so I'm not going to post a vid you have to sit through to finally get my point. In this one, my rear comes up a tidbit, but compare the form to yours and you'll see what I mean.
    Video

you're strong no doubt, I'm not taking that away from you. But I think if you tighten it up a bit, you could yield better results. Just my $.02
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Huge strength. But I agree with sully. Tap and go is dangerous most of the time. I tweaked my hamstring a few years ago working with tap and go in the 6-8 Rep range. Since reading Vault and working more in the 1-5 rep range my strength has skyrocketed as well as my hip drive has improved.

Great work though

Thanks Sully. There's a reason why I post these videos is for critique like that. Exactly what I need when I can't get it at the gym I train at. The point about pulling back rather than up was something I read in the EliteFTS videos about deadlifting. Definitely tried implementing that technique more into my pulls. (I have the scars to prove it LOL) I noticed what you are talking about with my head dipping on some of my pulls. Guess it just all carries over from squat to deadlift....head back and everything else will follow.

Dank - I have been seriously considering doing less volume work with my deadlifts and focusing in lower rep ranges for form and power. The whole debate about touch n go has been resonating in my mind for a while, but I've just been doing it as such for now. I enjoy resets as it helps me emphasize speed off the floor, but with the volume I'm working at, it takes for fucking ever.

Again, I always appreciate constructive criticism. If anyone can further add to my development to my pulls, that would be great!
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

You're ricocheting the weight off the floor and just flying into another rep. Slow down, and keep your mind on your form if it is not second nature.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54