Thread: Had Gastric Bypass, now extremely weak. Wondering where to start now that im so weak

Wannabebig New Member

Had Gastric Bypass, now extremely weak. Wondering where to start now that im so weak

About a year and a half ago I had Gastric Bypass surgery. In that year and a half I have lost 300 pounds. I am about 6Ď6 and 225 pounds now. The problem is I am extremely weak. I drink protein shakes, take vitamins, and all the things suppose to keep me healthy.

Anyway I decided to start lifting weights as I noticed moving furniture how weak I was. I bought myself a 25 pound weight to start off with and sadly I found that I canít even curl it one single time. I literally canít raise it anymore than a couple of inches. I went back and got a 15 pound weight that I have been working with. I can do about 10 typical curls with it on each arm before my arm feels like it about ready to fall off. I can do about 3 sets (changing arms each 10 curls) before I can no longer raise the weight at all.

I am wondering if any of you may have some suggestions on some other exercise I might try. Some general advice would be great too. I was naturally very strong before surgery but now it is like I am in another person as weak as I am. I use to be a 60 hour a week furniture mover so this has completely blown me away with the weakness. It came as a complete surprise to me that I was not prepared for. Not really sure where I should even start to proceed with this.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. I am pretty troubled by this.

Curls aren't really going to do much for your over-all strength. Focus more on your legs (squats), posterior (deadlift), and back (rows and chin-ups). That's where strength comes from. Buy a barbell and start with very light weights, then try to add more reps or weight every week. Make sure you are eating correctly with solid foods.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

one weight isn't going to get you to your goals. I would suggest either joining a gym or obtaining a rack/weights for your home. There are multple programs you can look into: 5/3/1, westside, stronglifts, starting strength.. you can form all of them to your needs, though I've heard starting strength is one of the best for new trainers. Check your ego at the door regardless of what you do. Just because you used to move lots of weight, doesn't mean you still can and that can get you hurt. It's better to start out small and work your way up, then start out big and get injured.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Garage Lifter
    what these guys said and you may want to look into bodyweight work as well
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for advice guys. Looks like was going about completely in the wrong way. I considered joining the gym but where I am so big almost embarrassed to go in. I guess we all have to start somewhere though. I am wondering too if perhaps my weight could actually be too low. I am getting 20/30 pounds of skin removed come Dec so that is going to put me under the 200 mark at 6Ď6. Puts me in normal weight range according to BMI still feels very odd with this body. With diet I am eating a lot of grilled chicken and steak.

I think Iíll run to the gym go ahead sign up though seems like from your advice best option. Hopefully can get this worked out.

Thanks again!

Garage Lifter
    under 200lb at 6'6" is pretty thin. I'm 6'4" and went from 165lb (super skinny) to 230lb (at my heaviest) and never felt "big". My friends didn't even really notice until I got above 220lb.

that being said you should be at whatever weight you feel good at and are healthy at. For me I was too damn bloated at 230lb and feel much better at 215lb (my current weight).
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

You obviously have some weight and eating issues, so I'm not going to recommend anything there. But I will say that most everybody here will tell you that the BMI is way too low and most people look horribly skinny when they reach that level. Add some lean muscle to your body and tell me you don't look and feel much better.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

my BMI is 39.

I'm 6' 285lbs with a high 5s squat, high 6s deadlift and high 3s bench.. apparently I'm morbidly obese?

point is, BMI is garbage.

Don't worry about other people in the gym. 10 years from now they'll still be doing the same old curls with the same old weight while the dedicated get bigger, stronger fitter. Keep your focus and forget everyone else.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    DO NOT BE EMBARRASSED TO GO TO THE GYM!!! Everyone in the gym is trying to do the same thing improve themselves. You have to start somewhere. I'd recommend hiring a trainer. And not just any joe trainer a lot of them are terrible do some research and find a good one.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 10-12-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

You need to join a gym and start a progressive resistance program. If you are worried about how you will look, and I understand that, start with all machines and when you progress to a certain point move to free weights and the machines. Download our free HCT-12 program for an idea of HOW to train properly.

When you lost the weight you lost a tremendous amount of muscles mass. You will be surprised at how quickly you can build yourself back up if you start a proper program.

One last point, I don't know your general health. Be sure your doctor oks you for resistance training before starting.

Gastric bypass or no, congratulations on losing 300lbs! Amazing!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

By stepping into the gym, you are putting yourself above the 99% who will never set foot in the gym. Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for replies and encouragement everyone! I went ahead and joined the gym. I have to say its pretty astounding how weak I have gotten but everyone seemed really cool and friendly. Though most guys my age were doing huge amount more than me.

I talked to my doctor and I am going to increase my protein I am putting in. Its going to be long process but I figure with time I can marginally catch up.

Again thanks for advice and support! Hopefully with time can get the strength back.

Well done mate hardest part done

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljohnson View Post
    Thanks for replies and encouragement everyone! I went ahead and joined the gym. I have to say its pretty astounding how weak I have gotten but everyone seemed really cool and friendly. Though most guys my age were doing huge amount more than me.

I talked to my doctor and I am going to increase my protein I am putting in. Its going to be long process but I figure with time I can marginally catch up.

Again thanks for advice and support! Hopefully with time can get the strength back.
    Good for you man!! Don't worry about what others are doing the gym, be happy with every little bit of progress. It would be great if you started a journal in the Journal section of this site.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

The coolest thing about starting out with weights either for the very first time or after a long break is how fast you improve. If you're eating a balanced diet and are getting enough protein, doing the work, and get and enough rest, there's just no question. You will get stronger, and at the beginning, the results just come so quick! You'll be very encouraged by your first couple weeks in the gym, I think!