Thread: CrossFit might be for me! Just need some simple Help

Wannabebig Member

CrossFit might be for me! Just need some simple Help

My friend and I saw a crossfit comp on ESPN2 the other day and WOW crossfit is no joke! After watching it we want in on the action! Now we work out at our work because it is free and we have 2 huge gyms. Now all we need is to figure out an everyday routine and this is where I was hoping you all could come in handy! Anyone know where I could find a CrossFit for Idiots routine? There is a crossfit gym close to us but we don't have the money to pay $75.00 a month to join and why join when we have everything we need for free.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    $75/month seems like a bargain for CrossFit.

The biggest part is the group training (IMO). I have never seen so much camaraderie in a gym. Regardless if you are a male or female, everyone is there struggling though the same shit you are and want you to finish just as quickly as the person who has the fastest Fran time.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

You can either follow the main site (crossfit.com) or almost any affiliate that posts their workouts. You could have a few that you follow and just pick the workout you want for that day. Some programming is definitely better than others.

You can start by looking at the Mainsite www.crossfit.com. They post a daily workout, but often times they are difficult or use moves that a non-crossfitter hasn't done before. On the mainpage under the "starting" section they have a link to BrandX that scales all of the recent WODs. That was a very helpful tool for me in the beginning. Don't be afraid to scale down at first especially if some of the moves are new to you, even if the weight seems light. Once you get a feel for the exercises, then you can start being aggressive.

After you get some WOD's under your belt, you will start to know what stuff you need work on. I would then suggest practicing these things as part of your wamup before hitting a full out WOD. Let's say you can't do muscle-ups. At first you might sub dips and chins for muscle-ups, in the meantime you'd practice doing muscle ups 2-4 times a week. Once you get them under your belt, you plug them into the WODs.

If you really want to improve your metcon capacity, you'll probably want to hit 2-4 metcons a week. Just mix them up and work'em hard. A lot of affiliates mix in some basic strength work in addition to metcons. Some have blended in Wendler's 5/3/1, others linear progression programs and Chris Mason has developed some programs that blend Westside with CrossFit.

Another good blended program is CrossFit Football. Just start looking around at the different sites and get a flavor of the methods.

I agree with the comments above. The main site is the best place to start. There is plenty of information in the forums and how-to videos.

CrossFit utilizes "specialized" equipment that some globo gyms don't have. For example, Dynamax med balls (or they won't let you throw them against the wall if they do have them), climbing ropes, rings, GHD machines, kettlebells, Olympic weights (you can't drop weight from overhead at a regular gym, which limits movement and ability to perform max lifts). Some gyms won't even let you do Olympic or power lifting. I am not sure what equipment your gym at work already has. I did CrossFit in a regular gym for a long time before moving to an affiliate. I would follow the main site and do the best I could and when a workout came along that I was unable to do because of equipment constraints, I would skip it or find a work around. The biggest improvement in my training from working out at an actual CrossFit gym (besides the camaraderie as you mentioned) is being able to max out on lifts and (worst case) if needing to, drop the weight before hurting myself. If you've ever tried to catch a 195lbs bar in mid-air after failing on an overhead squat, you'll appreciate the freedom of being able to let it go.

BTW $75.00 is a really good price. There are some places in my area that charge over $200.00.

- Good luck
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Main site WODs are ridiculous. I've been crossfitting for over a year and I still shake my head at most of what they post. One thing about crossfit is, SOME people setup WODs that make them look and feel elite..almost like a clique for people with ego.

The OTHER 95% of crossfit enthusiasts program normal WODs that can be performed or easily scaled. I personally have no interest in doing a mainsite WOD where I have to scale or sub EVERYTHING. It's unnecessarily demoralizing when there are lots of other movements that work just as well for average Joe who doesn't aspire to do ring handstand pushups.

My advice is to checkout the affiliates listed on the mainsite and find one with reasonable programming. The LESS posted on a WOD, the better. Some of them post a shitload of technique and procedures that clog up the post and confuse inexperienced readers.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Patz; 10-18-2011 at 07:56 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the main sites programming. Good to know I am not alone in that one haha

Can someone who does crossfit tell me the point of kipping?

In other words, why not do / train toward full-range of motion, non-kipping pullups, and muscleups, etc.

To my eye, it looks like simply sacrificing form for the sake of higher reps or even for the sake of doing a movement that you are not really ready for.

For the record, I currently do "gymnastic bodies" style strength training and a fair bit of running:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/

Kipping is kipping. Not a pullup. It's like using a concept 2 rower vs cable rows, or push press vs strict press. Similar/same motion, different goal.

We do lots of dead hang pull ups too.

5/3/1 Journal

I understand that if is different from dead hang.

Maybe I should have asked directly in my first post: What's the goal of kipping?

Well you can typically do more work than a standard strict pull up, I know I can do more reps and feel like I worked harder because of that. I can't do too many strict pull ups but I can string together a decent number of kipping ones. It also works different muscles than a strict pull up, I feel it uses more core.

I guess I see kipping as using momentum to complete movements you otherwise could not. But maybe I'm missing something. That's what I was trying to understand.

Bodyweight exercises are interesting in that slight changes (can) make a large difference. Slightly different hand positions or body positions can change the leverage of and exercise dramatically, basically turning it into a "different" exercise altogether.

Anyway, as Crossfit is supposed to train a well-rounded athlete that is "ready for anything", I was really wondering what kipping was meant to accomplish. I really just don't know / don't understand.

Maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable can chime in but after I do a workout heavy in kipping pull ups I really feel it in my shoulders, back, and core so I would say it works those areas pretty well. And while it does use momentum, you still have to control the momentum in order to efficiently use it and that takes work as well. Try them out sometime, might like em.

ncsuLuke, there are plenty of videos and articles on the mainsite about kipping. It is probably one of the most controversial movements in CrossFit and they have had to defend it numerous times.

Here are a few:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ing_Pullup.pdf (wfs)

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010 (wfs)

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Exercises13 (wfs)
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Thanks for the links. I understand now.

Good articles. I never bother arguing the superior explosivity of a Kip anymore. Anyone who only does traditional pull ups finds that shocking and ridiculous.

For the record, I was never able to do a dead hang pull-up until after I learned to Kip. Now I can do 5. That's a big deal for me.

5/3/1 Journal

BOZ 2011
    These guys Kip everything...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp7fBtj81c
    Last edited by BOZ2011; 10-24-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle." Author Unknown
    Kettlebell Training in Weimar