The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Swimming for cardio

Two things, I guess.
    First, I am someone who can swim in the sense that I won't die in the water, but if you were going to time my 50m freestyle I wouldn't go very fast and my form would probably look like ass (I assume this is common among people who did not grow up near water). Now, the only reason I want to swim is because it's non-weight bearing and works my entire body harder than any other non-weight bearing form of cardio that I have tried. I don't really care about being fast in the water or anything like that. With that in mind, do you believe the quality of my pool workouts would improve if I learned how to swim properly, or am I just as well off (from a cardio standpoint) floundering around like a jackass?

Two... could someone recommend some pool workouts? You don't have to write me an entire regimen, just any tips from someone more experienced in this area would be nice. As of right now all I really do is swim lengths until I'm really tired, short rest, repeat. I'm assuming there are other things I could try from time to time.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why not just treat it like LISS, hill sprints or HIIT?

one day you do 20 laps at a 60% speed

another you do 10 laps at 90% speed with a 30 second break between each lap.

then maybe 20 laps total @ 80% speed, going 2 laps before taking a break, then a 45 second break?

it really depends on what your goal is, conditioning, fat loss, etc.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

and yes, I believe the quality would improve if you learned to swim properly. mixing up different strokes can hit your muscles differently and can be beneficial to cardio workouts
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

The quality of your workouts would improve greatly if you learned to swim properly - absolutely. If you're going to spend the time in the water anyway, it's worth the extra effort to learn. Swimming efficiently, you'll put a lot less (bad) stress on your shoulders and put in more mileage in the same stretch of time.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Do you think it's realistic for me to be able to teach myself the strokes, or would I be a lot better off taking some sort of class? I mean, I taught myself how to sprint, squat, power clean etc without a teacher/coach, but swimming seems a lot more technical somehow
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

I think you can do a lot by yourself - there are a lot of great resources out there for self-coaching. The "Total Immersion" stuff (online, book, videos, etc) are great, and you could buy or check out a lot from your local library. BUT, a few sessions with a competent coach/instructor would make a huge difference and save you a lot of time and effort. As with strength training, finding the right instructor is key.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Amery View Post
    Hi All,
    Swimming is great low impact exercise to burn fat and lose weight.
    Swimming strengthens your heart and lungs and improves muscle strength, flexibility and balance.
    This is exactly the information I was looking for!!!!!!!!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    not worth the time for me personaally