The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar

Squats without rack

I workout at home and don't have a rack to do squats in and I don't have a spotter and I this affects the amount of weight I want to try because I don't want to **** up while there is no one home or put so much weight on that I can't do it and then screw something up...is this bad? I mean, is squatting without a rack going to affect my gains?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I'm assuming that you have some sort of rack to hold the weight while you set it on your shoulders. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem to squat without a rack...

BBBUUUUTTT... I cant be the only one here who has tried to push the envelope with just one last rep, only to buckle under the weight and the only thing that saved my ass from being crushed under 250lbs of iron was the squat rack. Its really a safety issue. If you dont believe that you will ever need a rack, then go ahead and do your squats, but in all honesty, I would start looking for a good quality rack.

Either get a rack or a trap bar.

Danger Will Robinson!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

If your not worried about your floor just drop the weight off your shoulders if your getting in trouble, I can't see any problem with that however I'm no expert.

I have decided I am getting a rack next - too scary and risky to run without one...

Originally posted by Coleman
    If your not worried about your floor just drop the weight off your shoulders if your getting in trouble, I can't see any problem with that however I'm no expert.
    In my experience it's not that easy to just drop the weight off your back, it would prolly end up being painful.

I know the feeling of having the squat rack save my life as well, fun experience ain't it.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

bone crusher
    it saves me every leg day

the kid from oz
    get a rack

i find i cant work nearly as hard if i dont have a rack to save me

Rack = essential
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wannabebig Member
    Apparently Frank Zane developed an apparatus/harness you can purchase. Works like a safety squat...may be a good investment.

I'm a home squatter too, with no rack. I've had to dump 320 off my back after getting pinned once before ... it's not as easy as you'd think and luckily, I didn't do any damage. Get a rack, I am.

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    If you can get the weight on your shoulders ok, buy some sawhorses (nice metal ones...Fulton makes nice ones). Make sure they stable and on level ground. If you get in trouble, dump the weight on the horses. I adjust mine to the height of my bar at the lowest position in my squat. It's not often that you fail at the top end, so it shouldn't be a rough drop.

Take care.

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't have space for a rack right now so I'll probably just keep doing low weight squats but I guess it's not as bad as not doing squats at all.

If I have room for a squat rack then I'll be sure to get one, I hope.

Generally I just get "stuck" at the bottom of the lift. It's easy enough to decide to lean back a little. When it falls off your shoulders it either crashes to the rack, or the ground, or your spotters leg if he's not paying attention (ahemm).

Just don't lean forward.

Hey - how do you toss the weight back? Wouldn't it just land on your ass and f you up?

Ther barbell pretty much stays on your shoulders till you are at/past verticle. Then you've got enough momentum that it doesn't seem to matter.

Can't say I over analyzed it at the time. There's only one way to find out what going to failure on squats is.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    Hey - how do you toss the weight back? Wouldn't it just land on your ass and f you up?
    Yes, it does, and it sucks .... badly.

I came back down after getting jammed and tried to dump it and run out at the same time. It caught me in the ass and luckily it only caught me, it didn't land on me. And again, it luckily hit my ass and not my tailbone, that would've been a problem. I got lucky once, I won't risk it again. So until I get a rack, I am held back by that fear ... but still haven't stopped squatting.

You can do barbell or dumbbell deadlifts until you get a rack.

Get a rack, and invest in a good one.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

when I have to dump the weight i just lean back a bit and it lands on the ground or bars, it's never hit my butt or back. I dont think it would be that big of a problem but you really should get a rack.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Originally posted by Fudomyo
    Just don't lean forward.
    Amen to that!
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody