Thread: Grip Strength!!

Hybrid View

Grip Strength!!

My Deadlift and shrugs are going up....but my grip is starting to make me have to put the weight down before i should be ending my set haha. Do you guys use straps? I want to get a pair...but i also want to get my grip strength up. What do you guys do for grip strength?? Its kind of an over-looked thing to most people...the rest of you might be strong...but what about your hands and fingers and wrists(the things physically holding the weight)? lol

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Are you using a hook grip when deadlifting? I used to have a similar issue with my grip with deadlifts with +95% of my body weight. The biggest issue for me wasn't my grip strength, but the moisture on my hands. Chalk helps solve this dilemma. You can get a block of chalk for a dollar (got mine at REI).

I do use straps for DB shrugs, but that is it really.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

It just feels like my fingers are going to rip out of there sockets as i get more and more tired. The weight will slowly unhinge my fingers before i do the reps i want haha

Try a mixed grip, that solved all my grip issues with deadlifting

Chalk can definitely help.
    Also when you grip the bar, lock onto it, squeeze hard and in an exercise like shrugs really focus on keeping the fingers tight and keep working on closing them.

For 3's and up, I often use a mixed grip, but like you want to build my grip to.

Simple things to add would be timed bodyweight hangs from a chinup bar, or do a rack pull with something near your deadlift weight and hold it for time.

Other great things are Farmer's Walks, heavy dumbbell rows and sometimes the Captain of Crush Grippers.

There are many ways to train your grip for deadlifts, my favorite way consists of thick bar holds. Wrap your shirt or a towel around a dumb bell heavy enough so you could hold it for 20-30 seconds a set. This will do more forearm extensors than a gripping it regularly would. You could do this with a pull up bar or a barbell as well, for example doing this on your barbell rows (if you aren't so strong on those) is a good way to train grip at the same time you train your lats.

Other ways I usually do it consists of pinch grip holds (pinching two plates from the smooth sides, start off with 10's) you could also do pinch grip holds with the plates set on a barbell on a flat bench or in the power rack.

You could always use grippers to mix it up but they are expensive, but if you don't mind paying for them go with it.

You could do wrist curls/reverse wrist curls as well but those aren't as effective if you ask me and becareful with the amount of weight you use on those.
    Last edited by Murderous; 10-30-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    There are a lot of amazing deadlifters who pull with a hook grip (over/over). Everyone else grips mixed (over/under or under/over).

A lot of grip strength just comes to repetition.
    The key is finding a grip that you like and sticking with it. Repeat and the grip strength will follow.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

chalk is a must
    use a double overhand thumbless grip until you can't hold it anymore
    then use a standard double overhand grip until you can't hold it anymore
    then go to a mixed grip
    for your last 1 or 2 sets, hold the weight for 10-20 seconds before putting it down.

fat bars help a lot, get some fat grips or wrap a towell around the bar for static holds.
    plate pinches (grab two 25s, 35s or 45s and pinch them together and hold them up as long as you can)

something that really helped me was doing all of my back stuff with a thumbless grip. DB and BB rows, cable rows, pullups etc..

if you think you're man enough, try the hook grip. Anything over 400 and I feel like my thumbs are going to pop so I don't hook. I suppose that's just how my vagina keeps me from doing dumb things.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t