Thread: Fun with arteries and veins!

Fun with arteries and veins!

I spent the other night in the ER. They put a white piece of plastic shaped like a needle but much thicker and easily over 3 inches long into what I thought was my brachial artery. But that wouldn't make sense because IVs are put into veins, right?

Tons of blood flowed out of it when I pushed off with that arm to stand up, even with the bandage on.

There is bruising now a little above the crook in my arm.
    My arm is still sore, but I assume I can keep lifting just with a little weakness.

I was too out of it to ask what it was at the time, and not having luck with google.

A big thing like a brachial artery just heals itself instead of "growing" a new one, right?
    Wtf did they put into my arm? =/
    My Journal My FatDay

Also there is bruising on my neck from where I guess they tried to put a needle/IV in. Why would they do that? I am not sure if they were successful or not because I was mostly unconscious/blacked out.
    My Journal My FatDay

Really just depends on what you were in for and what you had done. There are quiet a few instances they use arterial lines...ABG's and certain anesthesia protocols come to mind...Any time they do the art line, it is considerably larger and longer than a regular IV. The area will heal on its own no problem. I would give it a couple of days just to let it restrengthen up before putting a lot of weight/resistance to it...

Sounds like they may have tried to secure a "central line". This is placed at times instead of the more standard peripheral iv line in instances where a patient is unstable and needs a large amount of fluid in a short period of time. If you were truly unconscious, they may have felt this was needed.

Regardless, the vessel punctured should heal itself in short time. If it was an artery that was accessed however, you may want to give it a few days before going heavy on the weights (as mentioned above).
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

thanks for the replies. now the hospital says the total bill is over $4,000 and charges are still being added. life is good but has been much better... that's a huge bill even for people making over $100k... which I am not... -.-
    My Journal My FatDay