Thread: Routine found on WBB

Wannabe Arnold

Routine found on WBB

Havent posted on here a very long time, but constantly lurking and reading any info I come across as helpful. Currently Deployed in Afghanistan, havent been a dedicated lifter until about 4 months ago, but have been lifting off and own for about 3 years. I followed this routine for a while but jumped off of it to try and mix things up but had a feeling its leading me down a road to over training. So I figured I pick it back up and follow it as close as I could. My questions regarding it are could I add in some form of abs and light cardio as my main goal is to pack on weight, but also keep some form of decent cardiovascular fitness just due to the job I am doing over here.
    Day one

•Barbell bench press 4 x 8-12
    •Deadlift 4 x 8-12
    •Seated military press 4 x 8-12
    •Barbell curl 4 x 8-12
    •Weighted dip 4 x 8-12
    Day two: OFF

Day three

•Squat 6 x 8-20 (pyramid up in weight, down in reps)
    •Stiff-legged deadlift 4 x 10
    •Leg press 3 x 10-15
    •Lying leg curl 4 x 10
    •Standing calf raise 3 x 10
    Day four

•Chin-up 4 x 8-12
    •Incline dumbbell press 4 x 8-12
    •Barbell row 4 x 8-12
    •Seated dumbbell press 4 x 8-12
    •Alternate dumbbell curl 4 x 8-12
    •Skullcrushers 4 x 10-12
    Day five: OFF, repeat cycle

As for diet it can be a little tricky over here. My main goal to get my protein needs in first. We can normally get three solid meals a day from our chow hall unless we are out and about then it could be anything from junk M.R.E.'s to any snacks we pack out. But aside from that Ill just say I get 3 solid meals a day normally

Meal 1- 2 hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, 16 oz milks, and oatmeal-sometimes cereal or yogurt

Workout
    Post- 2 scoops nitrean and results

meal 2- One portion of any kind of meat, serving of veggies, form of potatoes

snack-assorted nuts beef jerky, 1 scoop off protein

about 2 hours later- one serving of truemass weightgainer

meal 3- same as meal 2

snack- oatmeal, beef jerky

45 minutes before bed 1 scoop of nitrean
    *Also supplement with ets and jsut a regular mutli

Sorry if the meals seem all jumbled, buts it not easy being consistent with eating habits while being over here at times. as for any stats Im 6 ft. 200lbs.
    bench-245x6
    squat-245x5
    Dealift- havent deadlifted in a while jsut due to my confidence in form, but will be picking it back up with the assistance of some experience lifters giving me a hand. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

House Lannister
    I did that routine for about 3 months. I didn't really like it. It's a LOT to accomplish in one session.

You'd be better off with a simpler upper/lower or push/pull/legs IMO, especially if you're deployed. Thank you for your service, btw.

Could always do:

Day 1: Push (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    Horizontal Press (Bench Press/Incline Press)
    Vertical Press (Military Press)
    Triceps Compound (Dips/CGBP)
    Fly
    Shoulder Isolation (Lateral Raise)
    Tricep isolation (skullcrusher/rope pulldowns)

Day 2: Pull (Back/Biceps)
    Horizontal Pull (Barbell/Dumbbell Row)
    Vertical Pull (Chins/Lat Pulldown)
    Hip Dominant (Rack Pull/Deadlift/Deficit Pull)
    Bicep Curl (preacher/db/bb etc)

Day 3: Legs (Quads/Hams/Calves)
    Quad Dominant (Squat, Leg Press, Hack Squat)
    Hamstring Dominant (SLDL, leg curl, lunge)
    Calf Raise

3-4 days a week, 2-4 sets each movement. Gives you a lot of time for recovery if you're in a combat position.

HCT-12 is also solid.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 12-21-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Wannabe Arnold
    I actually like the sound of that. Seems like I could follow the same general guidelines as Day 1,2, working out, day 3 off then day 4 working, then day five off then repeat. Yeah that program I first mentioned wasn't bad in terms of some of the strength gains I made form it, but i was normally pretty wore out after the first big compound movements of each workout. My other workout was similar to the one you mentioned I just wasnt taking ample rest days and sleep wasnt coming as easily.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleguy15 View Post
    I actually like the sound of that. Seems like I could follow the same general guidelines as Day 1,2, working out, day 3 off then day 4 working, then day five off then repeat. Yeah that program I first mentioned wasn't bad in terms of some of the strength gains I made form it, but i was normally pretty wore out after the first big compound movements of each workout. My other workout was similar to the one you mentioned I just wasnt taking ample rest days and sleep wasnt coming as easily.
    Yea there are ways to schedule it so that you are training 4 days a week consistently. Being deployed, the thing that is going to hurt your progress is access to quality food and rest I would imagine.

Really, your lifts aren't very advanced for your yet (not putting you down). If you enjoy training for strength, you could look into Madcow 5x5. I did that program for a while and saw some great gains in terms of strength. That have carried over into other programs, but it would depend on what your priorities are, really.

Wannabe Arnold
    Oh I agree, I mean right now I can bench more than I can squat and havent deadlifted in quite a while. My only real means of progress is tracking my workouts in a notebook. Out here I just make steady increases in weight or reps and thats how I really make my judegments. Training for strength is nice seeing as this is the strongest I have ever been, but ultimately I want to get physically bigger.