Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 quick novice question

Hybrid View

Stick

2 quick novice question

Hi all, figured I'd pop in and get some experienced advice. Firstly, I live in a small apartment and only have room for a small bench and a pair of dumbells, so I looked up dumbell-only routines and have been using the one below for a week. I just want to make sure its sufficient for a beginner and I'm not under-doing it:

Monday:

Dumbbell bench press (Chest)
    Warm up 1 x 15 reps
    3 sets of 8 reps

Incline dumbbell press (Upper Chest)
    3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell squats (Quadriceps - Front Of The Thighs)
    4 sets of 10 reps

Alternate dumbbell curls (Biceps)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Pullover (Back / Chest)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
    4 sets of 15

Wednesday:
    Arnold press (Shoulders)
    Warm up 1 x 15 reps
    3 sets of 10 reps

Alternate front dumbbell raises (Shoulders)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell rows (Mid Back)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell stiff legged deadlifts (Hamstrings / Butt)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
    4 sets of 15

Friday:
    Dumbbell deadlifts (Mid Lower Back)
    4 sets of 12 reps

Incline dumbbell press (Upper Chest)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Lunges (Legs)
    3 sets of 12

Alternate dumbbell curls (Biceps)
    3 sets of 12 reps

One arm dumbbell extensions (Triceps)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
    4 sets of 15

Second question is, how do you tell if the soreness in your muscles is normal or if you've overdone it and should take an extra day or two before you work out again? It being my first week in, I'm pretty damn sore and had trouble walking up/down stairs for a few days.

Thanks for the feedback!

Why aren't you joining a gym?
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Stick
    Financial reasons, time constraint reasons, lazy reasons, etc.

I figure if I can find a sufficient routine to do at home, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by SmallyBigs View Post
    Financial reasons, time constraint reasons, lazy reasons, etc.

I figure if I can find a sufficient routine to do at home, why not?
    IMO, thats the only one that should be stopping you from getting a gym membership. The other 2 reasons are nonsense. If you have the financial means to pay for a gym membership, do it. If not, keep what you're doing now. You will yield greater results in a gym though.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

actually, I think that's a pretty solid workout. Can you get a pullup bar? that would be a great addition

the soreness you're experiencing isn't out of the ordinary. I'm often quite sore for 2-3 days after a tough leg workout, and I've got over 10 years experience. Keep doing what you're doing.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Gym memberships are a bitch. As someone who works in a commercial gym - they are quite a scam. Start up fees, annual fees, and (sometimes) cancellation fees. This only applies if you go with an Electronic Funds Transfered, or EFT plan. We do offer Paid In Full memberships (which don't include any bullshit fees, but if you've guessed by now, we don't publicly advertise them*)

Example: At the Powerhouse Gym I work at, one of our more popular rates is 29.99/month. It costs 198.98 down to get started. You pay for 40 processing fee (bullshit fee), 99 initiation fee (I call it the frat fee), and two months in advance at 29.99 (your first and last month, basically collateral). What a lot of people don't ask or figure in is our 39.99 annual fee we charge once a year.

So from the outside, it seems like you are paying for 359.88/year, but in reality, you pay 538.87.
    For our Paid In Full memberships, we sell a year for 399, which is why we don't advertise it.

I tell a lot of my close friends who consider putting that money down for a gym membership - you could not get a gym membership, and potentially invest in used gym equipment for cheap (Power Rack, olympic weights, barbell, etc) and not have to deal with the bull shit that is (some) the commercial gym experience.

But I digress. What you are doing is fine...for now. Eventually, you will get stronger and grow out of your current weight set up (IE: you may need additional weights).

This is your dilemma, IMO. What are you going to do when this happens?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

You're not going to do much in terms of strength or hypertrophy if you don't have the ability to continually progress in weight
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Stick
    But I digress. What you are doing is fine...for now. Eventually, you will get stronger and grow out of your current weight set up (IE: you may need additional weights).

You're not going to do much in terms of strength or hypertrophy if you don't have the ability to continually progress in weight
    That's really the only thing I'm worried about, but I definitely will come up with a new plan once I outgrow the ones I have. Luckily I'm not exactly in the best shape right now and have a long way to go before I max out the set of dumbells I currently have. For most exercises I'm only putting on a total of 20 lbs. per dumbell and I have access to a friend's plates and weights I can use to make each dumbell 40 lbs. each.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Gym memberships are a bitch. As someone who works in a commercial gym - they are quite a scam. Start up fees, annual fees, and (sometimes) cancellation fees. This only applies if you go with an Electronic Funds Transfered, or EFT plan. We do offer Paid In Full memberships (which don't include any bullshit fees, but if you've guessed by now, we don't publicly advertise them*)

Example: At the Powerhouse Gym I work at, one of our more popular rates is 29.99/month. It costs 198.98 down to get started. You pay for 40 processing fee (bullshit fee), 99 initiation fee (I call it the frat fee), and two months in advance at 29.99 (your first and last month, basically collateral). What a lot of people don't ask or figure in is our 39.99 annual fee we charge once a year.

So from the outside, it seems like you are paying for 359.88/year, but in reality, you pay 538.87.
    For our Paid In Full memberships, we sell a year for 399, which is why we don't advertise it.

I tell a lot of my close friends who consider putting that money down for a gym membership - you could not get a gym membership, and potentially invest in used gym equipment for cheap (Power Rack, olympic weights, barbell, etc) and not have to deal with the bull shit that is (some) the commercial gym experience.

Yep when I was thinking about joining a gym this is exactly what pushed me out the door. It's just to damn expensive I've been lifting for 6+ years and the amount of money I would have spent on a gym membership is ridiculous.

I prefer to cram my weights and all that into my apartment. I don't have a kitchen table but that's fine with me my daughter would be the only one to use it anyway.

I have everything I need and more then enough weights for my current lifts. When I need more I'll go buy them. Plus I can sell all of it and make some of my money back if for some odd reason I decide to do that.

I agree with Behemoth - however if your goal is to lose weight and possibly get in shape I would look into some type of program that revolves around body weight exercises if you're not willing to spend the money.

Your second reason, being lazy, will not get you far in this sport.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Stick
    It's mostly money. I simply don't have any extra cash to spend on something like a gym membership. The economy is crap right now.

Another unrelated question:

I've developed quite the stomach gut from too much inactivity for too long. I have a feeling my routine listed above isn't going to do much to get rid of it, so aside from the weight lifting I'm doing does anyone have any advice on how to shed a pot belly without burning the muscles you're working to build?

Fat loss comes at a caloric deficit. Your expenditure to intake ratio needs to be higher if you want to lose that gut.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Stick
    If that's the case it looks like I'll be hitting the treadmill between my workout days then!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallyBigs View Post
    If that's the case it looks like I'll be hitting the treadmill between my workout days then!

Room for a treadmiill but no bench? Haha

Stick
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunz90 View Post
    Room for a treadmiill but no bench? Haha
    The treadmill is actually at a friend's house. I have to go over there to use it.

As someone mentioned, don't forget bodyweight exercises. Pushups, feet elevated pushups, dips, pullups, chinups, etc. An easy way past doing sets of 20-30 is get a dipping belt. They're fairly inexpensive and you can add weight to the dips/pullups/chinups. Also, a backpack will work (even for the pushups), just make sure you wrap the weights in a towel or two for a bit more comfort.
    I'm liking the idea of a chinup bar. I'm sure I can stick one in a doorway somewhere. I'll have to look into that.

Don't like the fact that you said you were lazy, but you're wanting to lose weight. Those two definitely do not go together at all.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

The program looks good and soreness is normal. In your case you should train through it. It will go away quickly. Be sure to use good technique! Slow and controlled repetitions.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

HIIT (high intensity interval training) is where it's at, not this RUNNING thing.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

As someone mentioned, don't forget bodyweight exercises. Pushups, feet elevated pushups, dips, pullups, chinups, etc. An easy way past doing sets of 20-30 is get a dipping belt. They're fairly inexpensive and you can add weight to the dips/pullups/chinups. Also, a backpack will work (even for the pushups), just make sure you wrap the weights in a towel or two for a bit more comfort.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Stick
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    On what days in my routine listed above would you add these bodyweight exercises? I know I quoted you specifically, but feedback from anyone would be appreciated.

Since you're doing full-body 3X a week, you could really throw them in on any day.
    Pushups will hit chest, shoulders and tris, changing the emphasis on hand placement.
    Dips hit chest, shoulders and tris.
    Pullups and chinups are back, bis and some shoulders.

I'd probably throw pullups or chinups in on Mondays.
    If you do pullups on Mondays, then do chinups on Fridays.
    Wednesdays, add in pushups, but I'd use closer hand spacing to hit the tris more.
    I'd probably throw dips in on Fridays.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Stick
    Awesome info. I'm going to do that. Thanks!

Stick
    Probably a dumb question, but since I don't have any dip bars or anything will chair dips suffice? Or should I try something else?

As long as they can hold you without breaking or collapsing, you'll be fine.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Stick
    Perfect. Thanks.