The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bench PR! Deads PR! Squat.... ?

Hey guys I've been having an awesome month or so getting new pr's left and right in my bench and deadlift. But my squat seems to be lacking. I'm not sure why getting under that bar seems harder and harder it used to be my forte now I feel like its falling behind. What should I do to fix this I know theres a bunch of these threads but I usually get great feedback from everyone so if you could help I'd greatly apreciate it. My training log is in my sig if there are things I should be implementing that I'm not please let me know!
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would front squat if you had a squat/power rack instead of leg extensions. Add a glute and ham dominate movement (such as a GHR) to replace the hack squats.
    Last edited by Murderous; 11-02-2011 at 10:35 PM.

It might friggin help if you told us what you currently do? How can we make valid suggestions without that information???

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

well thats why i said to check out my training log in my signature i figured it was a quick shortcut

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

not a quick shortcut, it takes time for us to look for, find, and then evaluate. Not many of us want to spend 10+ minutes responding to a post when you could just as easily copy and paste one of your leg workouts in here.

If you're doing leg extensions or ham curls, stop and replace them with front squats and RDLs. Cycle in box squats with your regular squats and focus on exploding with your hips, not your quads. If you don't have any glute exercises, look into glute thrusts against a band or glute bridges with a barbell.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    not a quick shortcut, it takes time for us to look for, find, and then evaluate. Not many of us want to spend 10+ minutes responding to a post when you could just as easily copy and paste one of your leg workouts in here.

If you're doing leg extensions or ham curls, stop and replace them with front squats and RDLs. Cycle in box squats with your regular squats and focus on exploding with your hips, not your quads. If you don't have any glute exercises, look into glute thrusts against a band or glute bridges with a barbell.
    What he said about looking it up. With that said I will look it up.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Ok, looked at your program. It looks like you are trying to use some Westside principles combined with doing just about every exercise you ever heard was for strength?

You are overtraining. Way too much volume by body part and no real rhyme or reason to the structure of your training. You would be MUCH better served following a true Westside style program.

You just hit a sqaut pr on 10/19, then the next week you said your head wasnt in it. Get your head in it and go hit 390 the next session. 5 lbs is a pr. And like Chris said, stick to a certain program. I would look into 531 or 351. Seems that would better suit you IMO.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

So basically I'm doing unnescasry excersises which is causing my over training on top of needing a more structured program because I do feel I need to switch my program up for sure. The only thing detering that was the PR's in bench and pulls. Will deffinetly begin to clean it up thank you guys for the input and sorry for the run around with my current workouts

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

You can continue to progress in the early stages of overtraining. I promise you a program like Westside will benefit you greatly now and later.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    As you get stronger you'll have to adjust your training to avoid burning out. I used to be able to do more volume when I first started, or get in the suit every week, but now my leg training consists of squat, raw box squats, deadlift, and some light leg press and prowler.... I can only push heavy every 3 weeks or so,too.... that's not talking about a PR every time either, just 90%+
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Chris took your advice today. Did a dynamic effort box squat 8 sets of 2 at around 80% for quick explosive reps. And cut out the bs excersises I'm glad you guys caught my early stages of over training before it got out of hand lol thanks again!!

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)

Total 1315

Training log!