The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

APF Southern States (Orlando Florida)

The meet was a lot of fun with the usual outstanding comeraderie and fine job by Brain Schwab and the Orlando Barbell crew. Lonnnnnnng one though. Squats started at 10:30 a.m. and the last award given at about 11:00 p.m. Squats alone took 4.5 hours!

Weighed in at 162.5 and competed in the raw, 165lb class, age 65+ division. Lots of guys over age 50 competed, by the way. I was the oldest full power lifter.

Started with a very easy 275 squat, just to get on the boards. Had planned a final attempt with 345, but when I got called for depth with only 310 on my second (got sloppy), I backed off to 330, which I'd done several times in the gym. White lights.

My left rotator had incurred a slight injury in September. It was back to 90%, but rather than risk a tear, I decided just pick a weight that would give me the total I wanted (assuming I made all planned deadlifts). That was 250, which went up without a problem.

By the time deadlifts rolled around, it was 7:30, and I was delerious. Thank God for Jacked 3d and caffeinated gum! Opened with 420. Easy lift. Called for 450, which also went up without a hitch (pun intended). Final attempt was 480, which was challenging but not a grinder. White lights and a five pound PR.

My 1060 total will put me in first place in the M3/M4's (over age 60) and sixteenth place, overall, on Powerlifting Watch's Current Master's Lifter Rankings. I had been thinking about packing it in after this meet, but now that ain't gonna happen. Hopefully, I'll become a member of the 500 lb Deadlift Club next year.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 11-02-2011 at 05:38 PM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!