Thread: Anybody here know much about Olympic Lifting?

Banned

Anybody here know much about Olympic Lifting?

I've started training for weightlifting with a group operating out of my gym. The coach has just given us a program but I'm making great progress with my strength program at the moment. Is anyone qualified to make some suggestions on how I could mix the two?

far from an expert, but I would definitely put the olympic lifting stuff at the beginning of your day (before squats, dead, bench, etc) since the oly stuff is all about explosion.

Most olympic weighlifters train off of the Bulgarian system of weightlifting...

Muderous, no they don't... Some people use a version of it.

The real question is why the O-lifting? What is your goal?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

^ That is what I meant.

Banned
    OK sure, I was just testing the waters. I'm a hobby lifter, I do it to to be stronger and fitter than the general population and to keep me happy and sane.

I've been lifting on and off for a few years, usually running medium-distance and getting skinny when not lifting. Six months ago I joined a good gym and went from 78kg (170lbs) to 95kg (210lbs) while my strength flew up.

The gym recently started a weightlifting club and now get a coach in for one night a week. I just thought it seemed like a good opportunity to learn some new skills and get a bit more athletic. 12 of us have joined up, and it's pretty much the 12 strongest in the gym. Although it's a university gym so that's not saying much.

So he's given us this 6 day a week, 5 week program. It will probably make me much better at oly lifting but it could completely halt the strength progress I'm making. The gym is also holding a powerlifting meet in March which we're all going to compete at. I should be good for a 400lb squat in about a month and I hope to squat and pull quite a lot more by March. It's a small number by the standards on this board but comparing myself to these other guys I have a decent chance. So everyone's a bit unsure about what to focus on now. The weaker guys are leaning towards weightlifting and the stronger guys are cautious about giving up what's working.

Banned
    I'm doing a version of Texas Method because it's quicker than 5/3/1 and I'm still enough of a beginner/intermediate that I can make faster gains. It also allows enough flexibility that I should be able to incorporate some weightlifting. I don't have any bands/chains/speciality bars so can't really Westside it.

Monday - Volume Day
    5x5 Squat
    5x5 Bench/Overhead/Push Press
    5x5 Bentover Row
    Assistance: Chins/pull-ups, Dips, SLDLs, Front Squats

Wednesday - Weightlifting Session - replaces recovery day in TM
    Whatever the coach says for about two hours.

Friday - Intensity Day
    Rotate Triples, Doubles, Singles on the main lifts.
    Some assistance work.

Saturday - Light Weightlifting session.

And this is the program we were given last night.

He did say we could spread it over two weeks if we wanted so instead of 6 sessions in a week we could do 3. But even then, I don't know how to mix this with what I'm doing. Maybe do half a weightlifting session before my usual workout on Monday and Friday?

Sorry for the long post btw, I know it's a bit complicated, I wasn't sure if anyone here could help but thought I might as well ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J.C.; 11-03-2011 at 06:12 AM.

If you're going balls out on monday, I don't see the need to do friday's workout you have listed. You might want to add another day as these workouts can get kind of lengthy, just a thought.

all of this is just my opinion, so take that for what its worth.

I would personally stay with 4 days/week and this is how I would set it up:

monday
    5x5 squat
    5x5 bench
    5x5 jerks
    assistance: pullups/rows/RDL/close grip presses

wednesday
    do whatever the coach says and he's going to evaluate your technique. this is where he will tell you what you need to work on the rest of the week. work in deadlifts here too

thursday
    snatch grip pulls w/ shoulder shrug (from hang), snatch grip high pulls (from hang), power snatch with a high catch then overhead squat (1-3 squats per rep), overhead squats, full snatches.. you're probably going to want to do 6-8 sets of 1-3 for each of those. I would probaly start with triples on week 1, then doubles week 2, then singles week 3 and start over. Start all sets relatively light and work up to a 3RM, 2RM or 1RM on your last 1 or two sets from there.

saturday
    clean grip high pulls (from hang), hang cleans with high catch then front squat (1-3 squats per rep), front squats w/ jerk, full clean & jerks. same thing as thursday with regards to reps.

again, this is just what i would do. i plan on doing an oly meet sometime towards the end of next year, but my programming only allows for 3days/week and I'm focused on strength right now so my oly stuff has been put on the back end until april-ish.
    Last edited by JSully; 11-03-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    OK thanks. The coach is pretty cool with us. He knows we're not taking it super seriously so he shouldn't mind if I don't stick to his program religiously.

I think I'm going to do some kind of hybrid of your ideas along with mine. I really want to keep focussing on strength in the run-up to this meet in March, but if I don't fit in the oly stuff then I know I'll fall behind with this group. It will probably become clearer in the weeks to come as I see what I can handle and recover from.