Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ALLEN'S PRE-CONTEST JOURNAL 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ZAR-FIT View Post
    my apologies for mis-typing that, so on your new diet are those carb source amounts measured before or after cooking them
    Cooked for the potato and rice, dry measurement for the oatmeal.

did you feel any advantages to cycling your carbs vs a steady decrease in calories w/no real change in macros?

do you feel there is a minimum/maximum fat intake for cutting vs performance? I see you're keeping fat at 40g/day, why not 30g, why not 50g? which is why I ask. To me, fat seems to just be a "filler". I don't really know if that is correct or not. I try to go with 1-1.25g/lb LBM of protein, and I base my carbs on how I feel; if my workouts and recovery are suffering I increase carbs, otherwise I put them as low as I can get. Then the fat is just "whats left" out of what I want my total caloric intake to be.

it seems that you use fats to load for your peak. what kind of carb intake do you utilize when you're loading fats? any specific types of fats? any specific types of carbs?

If I'm asking too many questions that would require client type answers, please just say so. It's nice to pick your brain and I'm trying to keep things as "general" as I can while I'm comparing my notes with yours.

While I've never been contest shredded, the lowest I've gotten to is 8%, however, it extremely affected my performance. Over the last 2 years I've been working different things to get my bodyfat lower without sacrificing performance, or if at all possible, increasing performance. There are little things I need to do here and there to make the cut better for both fat loss and strength/performance gain.

One thing I noticed was allowing myself a very high carb, fatty meal once a week (thick chicken aflredo or steak&potatoes) really helped me out both psychologically and physically (in regards to performance only as I my bodyfat wasn't low enough to notice a difference). In regards to macros what I did over the course of 7 months was slowly decrease calories as well as implement maintenance periods. As I got leaner, I ate a smidge less calories, though, they drop typicaly came from carbs, I was somewhere around 275/275/65 (p/c/f). At my lowest I was 275/225/65. You're dropping fat to 40g makes me wonder if I could use the additional carbs for energy to go towards strength/performance maintenance while dropping the fats down to continue fat loss.. hmmm.. ok, now I'm just rambling.

Anyways, great journal, great read.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    did you feel any advantages to cycling your carbs vs a steady decrease in calories w/no real change in macros?

do you feel there is a minimum/maximum fat intake for cutting vs performance? I see you're keeping fat at 40g/day, why not 30g, why not 50g? which is why I ask. To me, fat seems to just be a "filler". I don't really know if that is correct or not. I try to go with 1-1.25g/lb LBM of protein, and I base my carbs on how I feel; if my workouts and recovery are suffering I increase carbs, otherwise I put them as low as I can get. Then the fat is just "whats left" out of what I want my total caloric intake to be.

it seems that you use fats to load for your peak. what kind of carb intake do you utilize when you're loading fats? any specific types of fats? any specific types of carbs?

If I'm asking too many questions that would require client type answers, please just say so. It's nice to pick your brain and I'm trying to keep things as "general" as I can while I'm comparing my notes with yours.

While I've never been contest shredded, the lowest I've gotten to is 8%, however, it extremely affected my performance. Over the last 2 years I've been working different things to get my bodyfat lower without sacrificing performance, or if at all possible, increasing performance. There are little things I need to do here and there to make the cut better for both fat loss and strength/performance gain.

One thing I noticed was allowing myself a very high carb, fatty meal once a week (thick chicken aflredo or steak&potatoes) really helped me out both psychologically and physically (in regards to performance only as I my bodyfat wasn't low enough to notice a difference). In regards to macros what I did over the course of 7 months was slowly decrease calories as well as implement maintenance periods. As I got leaner, I ate a smidge less calories, though, they drop typicaly came from carbs, I was somewhere around 275/275/65 (p/c/f). At my lowest I was 275/225/65. You're dropping fat to 40g makes me wonder if I could use the additional carbs for energy to go towards strength/performance maintenance while dropping the fats down to continue fat loss.. hmmm.. ok, now I'm just rambling.

Anyways, great journal, great read.
    I haven't noticed any advantages or cons. I just go by how my body responds.

I think if you are doing a carb based diet you just need to make sure you get some healthy fats ie fish oil, evening prmrose oil, coconut oil to take care of those needs because they are important and needed by the body. As long as you are getting those in just add the amount of fats needed to hit calorie needs once a carb intake is set.

There are 2 different types of fat loading. One where you stay with a certain percentage and just increase calories to load and another which requires a 1-2 day increase carb intake with clean carbs, then on the fat load day you use a mix of fats and some carbs: prime rib, fries, almonds, paydays, etc... Just depends on how depeleted the individual is. You have to cut water around 12-16 hours for this fat load method to work.

If you're lookingto stay lean and not effect performance then you would typically eat at maintenance or slightly below for the week and have a re-feed day once a week, maybe 1.5 days a week depending on how your body stores nutrients and utilizes them.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, do you mean cutting water 12 - 16 hours before the fat load or before contest time ? eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Allen, do you mean cutting water 12 - 16 hours before the fat load or before contest time ? eric
    I would have someone cut water around 11am on Friday, depending on the individual, if they were competing on Saturday.

Interesting info about the fat loading, thanks for sharing.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Re-feed day

Yesterday I had another re-feed day but i bumped my carbs up to 400g becasue the last re-feed I had only maintained my weight the next day. I weighed in this morning and I had lost another pound. My weight is at 199lbs. Metabolism is going crazy. I'll have another re-feed day on Thursday and see what happens.

Legs

1) leg curl 3 x 12 x 115lbs, then 1 drop set x 12, 8, 8, 25 partials

2) Leg press 4 x 10 x 9 pps. On last set I did 40 BW walking lunges after leg press.

3) Leg extention 4 x 15 x 110lbs

4) Alt. lunges 3 x 12 x 45lbs

5) Smith machine stiff legs 4 x 10

7 weeks out

My progress is moving right along. Since the diet change 2 weeks ago my metabolic rate has been crazy high. I am implementing 2 clean re-feed days a week, Monday and Thursday. The last 3 re-feeds I have had to increase the carb intake by 50g each time. After the last 3 re-feeds I haven't gained any weight the next morning and 1-2 days later my weight is at a new low.

Monday I was 199lbs then I had my re-feed. By Wed morning I was down to 196.8lbs. So Thursday I uped my carbs again and now they are at 450g on re-feed days. This morning I am down half a pound and will more than likely be at another new low by Monday. I just keep feeding the boody and its responding well.

I know most would be be uneasy to keep uping the carbs but this is where you have to understand that you wanna coax the body to lose fat, not force it and don't be afraid to spike calories when/if needed.

Here is what I had Thursday:

Meal 1
    -1.5 cups egg whites
    -1 cup oatmeal
    -1 slice ezikiel bread
    -3g fish oil

Meal 2
    -2 scoops protein
    -1.5 cup rice
    -1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Meal 3
    -170g chicken
    -350g potato
    -3g evening primrose oil

Meal 4(post workout)
    -2 scoops protein
    -5 cups Cherrios
    -1 cup almond milk

Meal 5
    -170g chicken
    -1.5 cups rice
    -1/2 tbsp peanut butter
    -3g fish oil

Meal 6
    -1.5 cups egg whites & 1 whole egg
    -3 slices ezikiel bread

Glad it is progressing well.

What is the benefit of the evening primrose oil?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Glad it is progressing well.

What is the benefit of the evening primrose oil?
    I use it to get my fat macros. It has GLA in it, an essential fatty acid, which means it has to be obtained from diet. GLA is important for skin, joint, nerve and cardiovascular health.

When will you be posting updated pics? (before and current would be good)

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    When will you be posting updated pics? (before and current would be good)
    I'll try to get some by this weekend

What does this season hold for you as far as shows go Allen?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    What does this season hold for you as far as shows go Allen?
    I will be doing the Northern KY Championships March 24th (this is one of the largest Ametuar NPC shows in US with around 350 competitors). Then I will be doing the VPX Derby Classic April 28th.

The main goal is to do Jr Nationals in 2014. I'll be getting married next year so No contests in 2013. I'll just take the time off to add size.

Had another re-feed Monday with 400 carbs and my weight dropped from 195.6 to 194.2 lbs the next morning.

1) Flat DB press 3 x 8 x 90lbs

2) Incline BB press 4 x 12 x 175lbs

3) Seated machine press x 1 strip set

4) Pec deck 4 x 15-20

5a) Rope pressdowns 3 x 10 x 80lbs
    5b) Close grip push ups 3 x max

6) Rear delt band pull aparts 3 x 15

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    I will be doing the Northern KY Championships March 24th (this is one of the largest Ametuar NPC shows in US with around 350 competitors). Then I will be doing the VPX Derby Classic April 28th.

The main goal is to do Jr Nationals in 2014. I'll be getting married next year so No contests in 2013. I'll just take the time off to add size.
    Congrats on the engagement. What weight class are you shooting for this season and what age are you?

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Congrats on the engagement. What weight class are you shooting for this season and what age are you?
    Thanks. I'm 35. I will try to make middleweights for the last time. If I can get down to about 180 lbs by 1 week out I should be able to make weight then just load thru Friday night and Early Saturday. I expect this to be my best condition.

At my height 5"10" I give up a lot of size at natinal level shows, Middleweights are usually around 5' 5". I need to weigh around 190-195 shredded to be competitive at the national level so we'll see how the 2 year off season will treat me.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 02-08-2012 at 02:15 PM.

7 week out pics

Here are pics From 7 weeks out. Weight is 193
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great mate, a lot of mass there. I know you don't like to go by bodyfat percentages, but do you know what you currently are?

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Looking great mate, a lot of mass there. I know you don't like to go by bodyfat percentages, but do you know what you currently are?
    No clue, I never get it measured.

Back

1) DB row 4 x 8 x 110lbs
    2) Wide grip pulldown 3 x 10 x 180lbs
    3) BB deadlift/shrug 4 x 6 x 225lbs
    4) Chest supported row 3 x 10 x 75lbs (kept elbows high to hit rhomboids)
    5) Banded Hyperextension 3 x 20

Weight is down to 189.2 lbs! 10 more pounds and I should be able to squeeze down to Middleweights.

You're going to look insane under 180! If I'm not mistaken, you actually competed heavier than that last time you were on stage?

You're going to look insane under 180! If I'm not mistaken, you actually competed heavier than that last time you were on stage?
    I was heavier, 183 lbs. I plan on coming in the best condition to date with paper thin skin. I need to put on A LOT more muscle to be more competitive in Light-heavyweights since there is a 20lb range unlike all the other lower clases. Hopefully the NPC will split the LHW class like they did in Canada to make it more of an even playing field.

I plan on taking 20 monjths off to grow as much as possible. Whatever class I end up in after that off season is where I will stay. At 35 gains are going to come slower.

Wannabebig Member
    I was heavier, 183 lbs. I plan on coming in the best condition to date with paper thin skin. I need to put on A LOT more muscle to be more competitive in Light-heavyweights since there is a 20lb range unlike all the other lower clases. Hopefully the NPC will split the LHW class like they did in Canada to make it more of an even playing field.

I plan on taking 20 monjths off to grow as much as possible. Whatever class I end up in after that off season is where I will stay. At 35 gains are going to come slower.

SLOWER BUT NOT OVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERIC

Shoulders

1) Rear cable lateral 4 x 15
    2) One arm cable side lateral 3 x 15 , rest 45 sec
    3) Cage Press 3 x 8
    4) Front/Side raise 3 x 12 (this is where you raise the arms at an angle between a front raise and side raise)