The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    wow your conditioning looks great this far out
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

5 weeks out

This past week without any diet changes the last 4 weeks I had a huge weight loss of 9lbs. Now I know some people would freak out and think they lost a lot of muscle but when you haven't changed anything for a few weeks and it just happens its find. Your body just holds on and keeps holding on until it can't anymore and just lets go.

My weight is at 183lbs so middleweights should be no problem to make. I also increased my 2 re-feed days to 500g carbs. Thde other days are still 200-250 grams.

Next week will be a little inconvienient because i will be traveling to the Arnold Classic and staying for 4 days because my fiance is competing. So I'll have to cook up tons of food and hit a couple training sessions while I'm there. It will be good seeing some friends I know in the industry. So I'll plan on watching the contests, relaxing and working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    This past week without any diet changes the last 4 weeks I had a huge weight loss of 9lbs. Now I know some people would freak out and think they lost a lot of muscle but when you haven't changed anything for a few weeks and it just happens its find. Your body just holds on and keeps holding on until it can't anymore and just lets go.

My weight is at 183lbs so middleweights should be no problem to make. I also increased my 2 re-feed days to 500g carbs. Thde other days are still 200-250 grams.

Next week will be a little inconvienient because i will be traveling to the Arnold Classic and staying for 4 days because my fiance is competing. So I'll have to cook up tons of food and hit a couple training sessions while I'm there. It will be good seeing some friends I know in the industry. So I'll plan on watching the contests, relaxing and working out.
    Sounds like the old "whooosh" as Lyle calls it.

Here's a question for you Allen. For someone who listens so intuitively to their body and adjusts accordingly, how does hunger factor into your adjustments? What is your response to an acute spike in hunger levels? Is it viewed by you as a positive and necessary progressive indicator of fatloss or postmark to back off on the dieting intensity. I guess in large what I'm asking is how do your hunger levels compare at the very end of a diet to say after a few weeks to a month into a diet?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Sounds like the old "whooosh" as Lyle calls it.

Here's a question for you Allen. For someone who listens so intuitively to their body and adjusts accordingly, how does hunger factor into your adjustments? What is your response to an acute spike in hunger levels? Is it viewed by you as a positive and necessary progressive indicator of fatloss or postmark to back off on the dieting intensity. I guess in large what I'm asking is how do your hunger levels compare at the very end of a diet to say after a few weeks to a month into a diet?
    Hunger should be fairly high in anyones prep. Hunger is basically a fat burning signal, now there is a difference between hunger and absolutely starving. My hunger is moderate the first month or so into prep by about 6-7 weeks out its pretty high. I can eat a meal and be hungry 30-45 min later.

Hunger should be there and spikes should never be added just because you're hunger is high it should be based on how you're looking (if you're flat or overdepleted), amount of weight dropped, ability to get pumps, energy levels, etc.. things of that nature.

4 weeks out

My weight has held steady this week for the first in a month, which is what I wanted. I'm filling out a bit more uping my 2 re-feed days of 500g carbs. The plan is to drop 4-5 more pounds and manipulate water enough to make weight.

I've also been talking with Milos "the mind" Sarcev lately and learning all kinds of new things with nutrition and supplements. He is one of the most intelligent coaches in this industry. He knows in-depth info of functional endocrinology, clinical nutrition, kinesiology,etc.. He takes everything into account when it comes to getting results and he's done it with many competitors. I'm always trying to learn more and I know Milos will help with that.

Shoulders

1a) 6 ways 4 x 10 x 12lbs
    1b) Machine press 4 x 6 x 130lbs

2) DB side lateral 4 x 12 x 30lbs
    3) Reverse pec deck 4 x 15 x 100lbs
    4) Alternating Side and front raises 2 x 8 x 20lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I know, I have a detailed pre contest loading phase in my maps, he goes deep into details.
    I'm going to look at it again, I can't remember everything and now you made me curious again, eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    I know, I have a detailed pre contest loading phase in my maps, he goes deep into details.
    I'm going to look at it again, I can't remember everything and now you made me curious again, eric
    Did you work with Milos or just find info on what he does?

Wannabebig Member
    The first time I spoke Milos was at FIBO in Germany more than 15 years ago, he was under contract with MET RX and Paul Demayo too.
    From talking with him I understood that he had more than average bodybuilder knowledge
    The DVD he made is also very informative, especialy the part about nutrition.
    He also worked with a few wellknown bodybuilders and is also for his very exausting
    training circuits wich have lead to puking for a lot of people.
    He has a whole other vieuw on contest preparation like Scott Abel but this only proves that there are many ways leading to Rome, of course Milos never worked with clean bodybuilders, that must be said too.ERIC

This morning weight is where I want it to be, 182lbs. Still have a little over 3 weeks and making weight will be a piece of cake at this point. I have also increased my daily calories by uping my carbs to 285g and 250g, still with 2 re-feeds at 500g.

I'll be heading to the Arnold tomorrow to support my fiance as she competes and to get some good training sessions in with some friends in the industry.

Legs

1) Leg curl 4 x 12, 10, 8, 6
    2) Hammer Power squat 3 x 10
    3) Leg press with bands 4 x 12
    4) Walking lunges 3 x 10
    5) Single leg, Leg press 3 x 12 (placed foot high and wide and ONLY pushed thru the heel. Complete destruction to your hams and glutes)

3.5 weeks out Pics

This is the last set of pics I will be posting until after my contests. I am very pleased with my conditioning and where I'm at. This is the most food I have ever eaten going into a contest, which is the best way to do it and why you should get ready early.

Now the goal from here is to make middleweights at 176.25 lbs. Its a bit tricky because its a night weigh in only, if it was morning it would be much easier, so at worse I'll have to basically eat nothing and drink nothing all day and then load up all night and next morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (29.4 KB, 103 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (31.5 KB, 99 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (28.2 KB, 109 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (26.9 KB, 116 views)
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 02-29-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Wow your face is so drawn out, I hardly recognize you.

Thanks for the new contest prep article.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    Looking great Allen, how are you feeling in the day and what about training energy ?
    Are you sooner tired at night and how many hours do you still sleep ?
    ERIC

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Looking great Allen, how are you feeling in the day and what about training energy ?
    Are you sooner tired at night and how many hours do you still sleep ?
    ERIC
    It varies. I'll have some days where my energy is above normal for this far into prep and other days where its definitley low. When I train I just turn on a switch and hit it as hard as I can, I don't think about anything else.

I am more tired in the evening, not sleepy, just tired. I still sleep the same for now, 7-9 hours.

Maintaining

This past Friday while I was atr The Arnold I did a trial run of water manipulation and loading to see how close I was to making middleweights.

After loading water Tues-Thursday I did 500g carbs on Friday and cut water at 9pm. I went to bed weighing 185 lbs and woke up at 178 lbs. I was very dry and hard but realized I need double the maount of carbs to load. I still had that stringy look. So what i will probably do once I make weight is start loading every 1.5 hours thru the night and morning and eat more or less by how I am looking. Probably shoot for 1000g carbs or more with possibly some fats Saturday morning if I'm still flat.

I don't want my weight dropping below 180 lbs at this point. Sunday I woke up and it was at 178.8 lbs so I had a cheat meal last night to fill me out a bit. This morning I was 182. This was my cheat meal:
    -6 rolls of sushi
    -9 pieces sashimi
    -1 loaf bread with garlic butter
    -large salad with ranch
    -medium size yogurt with nuts

I will continue to have my 2 500g carbs re-feed days and the other 2 days are at 320g and 285g. If weight drops below 178 again by this weekend I will take 1 more cheat meal. I don't want to overdiet. I also cut back cardio to 30 min.

Weight is holding steady at 180 lbs with 2 more weeks to go. Energy is pretty low at this point, but workouts are still good except strength has dropped. Cardio is at 30 min 5 days a week.

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

1) Machine press 4 x 8
    2) Incline DB press 4 x 6-8
    3) reverse band bench press 3 x 5, then 3 x 8 with close grip

4) Presssdowns 4 x 10
    5) DB skullcrushers 3 x 15

6) DB side lateral 4 x 15, 12, 10, 8
    7) Spider crawls 3

How did the girlfriend do at the Arnold?

Looking shredded btw.
    Last edited by krazylarry; 03-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    How did the girlfriend do at the Arnold?

Looking shredded btw.
    They were 30 girls in her class but she didn't make top 10

2 weeks out

My weight is at 179.6 lbs and My skin just keeps getting tighter and thinner, which is why i wanted to be ready a couple weeks early. I talked with some guys who will be competing in my class and its going to be some tough competition, which I like.

I have 2 more full training weeks and I will stop training on Wed the week of and train legs on Sunday. All cardio will stop the last week as well to let me legs rest and get rid of any extra water.

Banned
    looking very good. does the strength drop bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    looking very good. does the strength drop bother you?
    Not at all, it happens to everyone when they get this lean, unless they are a gentic freak. Besdides I'm training to be bigger not really stronger so as long as I look the part I'm fine. I've been a powerlifter and the constant pounding on the joints wasn't worth it.

how do u cook ur chicken to make it enjoyable and so you don't get sick of eating it?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    how do u cook ur chicken to make it enjoyable and so you don't get sick of eating it?
    I use different spices and hers as well as condiments. I also alternate between chicken and tilapia

1 week out

Today I am one week out from my first contest of the year. My weight is around 178 in the morning, which is perfect. I'll be able to load some before weigh-ins Friday night when I cut water.

After I make weight I will be eating every hour on the hour until I go to bed. Then for breakfast once I will have steak and whole eggs with a small cup coffee, then go back to regular diet meals unless I am a little flat and need to load more.

Right now I have veins running thru my abs, quads, lats, etc.. skin is getting thinner everyday. Once I load up and dry out hopefully I'll be a top contender at the show. My glutes are still my weak point and won't be exactly where i want them until the last show in 5 weeks.

I will workout from now until Wed straight thru and cardio evgeryday at 30min. I will play it by feel on what I do each day as far as exercise choices.

What do you think your bf% was when you started this prep and what do you think it is in the last pictures 3 weeks out?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    What do you think your bf% was when you started this prep and what do you think it is in the last pictures 3 weeks out?
    Honestly I have no clue. I always go by how I look.