Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ALLEN'S PRE-CONTEST JOURNAL 2012

3 days out

My weight is siting at 178 lbs. The plan is if I'm under 176 lbs FRiday morning after taking over the counter diuretics I will have carbs at each meal watching my weight every hour. Water will be cut at 10am until after weigh-ins. If I'm over I wil only do protein and fats at each meal then start loading every hour on the hour with carbs after weigh-ins.

There are 358 total competitors, 478 with crossovers. Should be some hard competition and a long day.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, you will do well on saturday, good luck
    eric

1 day out

Weight this morning was 175.6 lbs, just under cutoff for middleweights. I will stop water intake until after weigh-ins and have 3 small meals of protein and fat. After weigh-in its time to let the loading begin! I'll put about 3/4 gallon of water back in then cut it at 10-11pm.
    Eating every hour on the hour until bed and depending on how I look have 2 cheeseburgers made with 85/15 grass fed beef for breakfast to load more sodium and fats. I'll have 1 small coffee to get bowels moving and then just sip on water til after pre-judging. Probably go back to regular diet meals after that.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 03-23-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Allen how did the first show go?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

First contest.

The first contest did not go well. Here is what happened.

I woke up FRiday morning at the weightclass cutoff so that meant I basically couldn't load all day as I had planed and this started the downward spiral. The weigh-ins were not until 7pm, which is ridicuous as KY is the only state that does only night weigh-ins. So from 8am til weigh-ins I only had about 50g protein and 30g fat and 4oz water. Now realize I had been sea salting every meal and was paln on eating 300g carbs prior to weigh-ins.

I weighed in at 176 lbs exactly. I immediatley went back to hotel and started drinking water and eating. I ate every hour of about 60g carbs and 20g protein each meal and put about 1 gallon of water back in me. By the time I went to bed I had eaten about 400g carbs. I wasn't feeling good at this pint and wasn't really filling out at all.

I woke up at 6 am and had 2 cheeseburgers and another 20oz water. I was sea salting all meals at this point. I was still not filling out the way I needed and I had another full meal of potatoes and steak. Then for the next 2 hours til pre-judging I had almond butter and rice cakes. I was backstage pumping up and my heartrate ws much higher than it should have been and I knew something was off. They called us out and I went thru one round of poses and my heartrate skyrocketed. I started sweating badly and then while i was standing in line up I started feeling light headed. I knew at this point it was over.

I went off stage had the EMT check me out and found out my sodium levels were way too low which caused my heartrate to go crazy, it was at 180 bpm. I drank 20oz of an electrolyte drink and my heartrate went back to normal within 5 min.

I decided at thqat point I would never try to make a weight class again. Where ever I come in at is fine. If I had known it was my sodium I would have drank about 20oz of pedialyte before stage. I went out to eat after all this and had large flatbread pizza, 2 steaks, bread, and yogurt and I was looking the way I should have, that showed me how badly I was depeletd of sodium and food in general. TRying to make weight and not eating all ay completely threw my bodys sodium/potassium ion pump out of balance.

I took all day Sunday off from diet and ate freely all day. I probably put back 10,000 calories at least. I woke up Monday and had gained 9 lbs (water weight) and went back to diet. By Tuesday I was right back to my previous weight.

I have another contest in 4 weeks and will load as I usually do and whatever weight class I'm in is fine with me.

I am currently doing a Keto diet of 310 protein/30 trace carbs/ 110 fat. every 5 days I have a 6 hour refeed of as many cabrs as possible. Th only rule is the carbs are lowfat and no direct protein during this time.

4 weeks out from 2nd contest

I am 4 weeks out from my next contest and my conditioning is already imporved. Skin is even thinner and tight. I am doing a version of a Keto diet where every 5 days I have a 6-8 hour carb refeed. This can include anything as long as its low/non fat and mostly higher GI carbs.

Here is a smaple of what i had friday:

1) 8oz pasta with red sauce, half loaf garlic bread
    2) 6 pumpkin muffins
    3) bagel with apple butter and large bowl of cereal
    4) 4 large pancakes with blueberries
    5) Large bowl cereal
    6) 3 large pieces banna bread
    7) Half bag pretzels

I gained 5lbs from this and after one day I'm back down to my baseline. I will more than likely hit a new low Monday or Tuesday.

Banned
    sorry to hear it did not go well. c;learly you are learning and adapting though. any shots from the show or before/after/leading up to the day?

Sorry to hear the first show didn't go as planned. I'm looking forward to following these next few weeks towards the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    I am currently doing a Keto diet of 310 protein/30 trace carbs/ 110 fat. every 5 days I have a 6 hour refeed of as many cabrs as possible. Th only rule is the carbs are lowfat and no direct protein during this time.
    That's very similar to how I refeed also. I allot a half day window rather than a specific amount of carbs every 4-7 days, obviously fat kept trace and protein only indirectly consumed.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    sorry to hear it did not go well. c;learly you are learning and adapting though. any shots from the show or before/after/leading up to the day?
    The problem was i have never tried to make a weightclass and always loaded. Going 12 hours without food was the only way to make the weight, but a little to drastic and should have just been a light-heavy. This time thru I will load as i always do.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Sorry to hear the first show didn't go as planned. I'm looking forward to following these next few weeks towards the next one.

That's very similar to how I refeed also. I allot a half day window rather than a specific amount of carbs every 4-7 days, obviously fat kept trace and protein only indirectly consumed.
    By the way my weight dropped back to baseline so quickly I will have to move the refeed up to every 4 days. Only protein and fat comes from the trace amounts in the carb sources. This diet also gives a mental break since I can have whatever carb sources i want and no limits. I have been dieting for 21 weeks now so its a nice change of pace. i always usually have to go keto the last 4-5 weeks to get my glutes to come in.

is that keto diet you are doing specifically to get ready for contests?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    is that keto diet you are doing specifically to get ready for contests?
    No, I've had a few clients use it regularly, but 95% of the time do carb based diets. I only use it myself the last weeks leading up to a contest as its the only way i can get my glutes to come in.

Good luck, man. Sounds like you learned a tough lesson at the other comp. Inspiring journal, to say the least.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Good luck, man. Sounds like you learned a tough lesson at the other comp. Inspiring journal, to say the least.
    What happened to me is very individual. I know amny competitors who have not eaten or drank anything all day to make weight and they are fine. My body is sensitive when it comes to water and sodium.

What you went through was inevitable, you needed to experience this directly and now you are good to go. Nothing like a gut check as to what will serve you better next time out.

You never know, you may take the whole thing next show. Wish you the best in the next couple of weeks.

Wannabebig New Member
    I've noticed that you sometimes have a egg whites with a couple tbsps of natural peanut butter for fat instead of just eating whole eggs. Any specific reason for this? Aversion to egg yolks?

Not at all, just depends on what I feel like having. I love cage free whole eggs. I scramble the egg whites then cook the whole eggs over medium with the yolk a little runny.

I will be 2 weeks out from my last contest of this year. I am definitley going to be a Light-heavy for this one. I am feeding myself into this contest. I am currently taking in 350g protein, 450g carbs, 50g fat on training days and 300g protein, 200g carbs, 50g fat on non-training days.

I am going to be doing 2 tyraining sessions a day for the next 2 weeks and no cardio. I am vascular as hell right now with very full muscle bellies and tight skin. I will present a full lean physique at this contest to be as competitive as possible as a LHW. i am feeling really good at this point. Only slightly lethargic at times.

Pics

I am sitting at 192 lbs. Up 16 lbs from my last contest 3 weeks ago. Besides taking in the amount of food in my last post I am also doing a pre, intra, and post-workout protocol. I am just as lean as I was at 176 lbs but much fuller and thicker and my legs are actually leaner and more vascular.

Here is my protocol:

20-30 min Pre-workout shake
    -30g Vitargo
    -10g EAA
    -5g Creatine
    -10g Glutamine
    -2g L carnitine
    -2g Beta Alanine

Intra workout shake
    -30g Vitargo
    -10g EAA
    -10g BCAA
    -1g L carnitine
    -1g Beta Alanine

Post-workout
    -50g whey
    -5g creatine
    -10g glutamine
    -40g carbs from berries (raspberries, blueberries)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (25.6 KB, 81 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (24.4 KB, 70 views)
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 04-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.

You look awesome, bro. Sick vascularity.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

whoa how do you gain 16 lbs in 3 weeks??

whoa how do you gain 16 lbs in 3 weeks??
    Good supercompensation and a very structured protocol everyday.

what do you mean by supercompensation

what do you mean by supercompensation
    When you have dieted for a long period of time (correctly) your body enters a supercompensation state where it will bascially absorb and utilize all the nutrients you put in it. If all those are very structured and clean you can add, maintain, or even lose weight without any fat gain.

1 WEEK OUT

My weight is sitting around 195 lbs in the morning, cut off is 198 so I am good to go there.

Nothing really special as far as loading for this contest as I am basically just going to eat what I have been eating, minus the fruit and shakes, thru the contest. I will manipulate a little water but thats about it. I am very pleased with my progress over the last 5 weeks since the last contest. I have put on 20 lbs and basically gained NO fat. My muscles are full and I look 10 times better than last contest.

I will be a Novice Heavyweight and an Open Light-heavy. We'll see how things go.