Thread: WTF is with all this forum spamming?

WTF is with all this forum spamming?

This is a sweet website, but every night I log in I see Chinese spam everywhere.
    Surely there must be someway to stop this.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

High traffic forums get a lot of spam. It's not new, must be you're just noticing more of it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I'm with you, but don't know how to stop it. If anyone here knows how please feel free to share it with me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

There are was to limit spammers with more intelligent captchas but those only work so well, it seems like spammers are continually finding was around those. I would say the amount of spam is pretty low here relative to other forums I visit so I don't think it is a big deal.

I visit this forum almost on a daily basis and have no clue what he's talking about so it can't be to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    I visit this forum almost on a daily basis and have no clue what he's talking about so it can't be to bad.
    i thought the same thing, lol
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Don't we have a captcha program at the start of registration? I feel that would deter a lot of spammers.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

What is that?

Captcha is the random string a letter/numbers you have to enter before registering to prove you're not a bot. The issue with that is...spam here isn't from bots. Bots were more of a problem in the late 90's early 2000's when it was easy to run a script and have the bot join a list of forums that had genetic registration perimeters, then they'd spam advertisements left and right until the bot was banned. Captcha's make the user enter that code before allowing registration, and since the bot couldn't read the captcha to enter it, registration was usually denied. But with technology, it doesn't always work for the good guy. Serious spammers (we haven't had any of them here) started using character recognition programs for registration on forums that had captchas, rendering them useless. People here that spam are actual morons spamming products. You have the ability to allow/deny registration for every member, but I'm sure that'd be a pain in the ass, and you'd have to basically guess if the person is legit or not. Right now, the best way to combat spam is to keep doing what you're doing. Users flag it, mods delete it and ban that person and their IP address, another one bites the dust. In reality, one spammer a day isn't bad at all.
    Last edited by Mark!; 11-11-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

^good info. I learn something new everyday here!

What if the admin places a 24hr hold before a brand new registered user can post/create a thread? Would that push the spammer to not come back and just have him/her/them hit up another website or are their lives so low that they will come back after the 24hr hold?

oh, and i notice the spamming about once per week average. those tards posted twice in my training log
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 11-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    ^good info. I learn something new everyday here!

What if the admin places a 24hr hold before a brand new registered user can post/create a thread? Would that push the spammer to not come back and just have him/her/them hit up another website or are their lives so low that they will come back after the 24hr hold?

oh, and i notice the spamming about once per week average. those tards posted twice in my training log
    Doubt that would help to much and if anything it would cause a user who wanted to post to perhaps forget about the site.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Doubt that would help to much and if anything it would cause a user who wanted to post to perhaps forget about the site.
    That's what I see happening. Joe Blow who really wants to post says 24 hours waiting period? Eff that, and is off to other sites. Chances are, they'd probably just come back anyway. From the looks of it, it's all a pre-typed deal, they just copy and paste, they don't have to do any long winded typing or anything.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I'm surprised some of you guys aren't noticing it as much as me. Although it's probably because I live in Australia. But everynight (around 9PM) it seems like every new thread in each subforum is spam. It's always in big red writing saying "supplement saving" and then a load of writing.

Don't know why these dumbbasses to this. lol do they even sell anything?
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    People here that spam are actual morons spamming products.
    Not really, I would say 4 out of 5 spammers that get banned here are bots. A captcha would reduce spammers significantly IMO.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 11-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Yeah but it would probably cut down on the number of people who post once and then never come back. If they are serious they will come back and if not...no loss. There are lots of members here who haven't even posted once.

i dont see those chinese letters or whatever. this forum looks pretty clean to me as apposed to other forums ive been on

I usually get on the site around 7 am and catch as much as I can. I think most people don't see it that much. Mods and administrators here are always working on it.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo