Thread: Cold weather training

Cold weather training

Haven't insulated my garage yet, it gets -25 degrees here for a large portion of the winter. I need some warm clothes to train in, like 100% cotton sweat pants and long sleeve sweat shirts, or something. Having a hard time finding what would be comfortable to train in, I prefer cheap. What has worked for you guys? I have found some cotton/poly stuff but it is really annoying to the skin, and feels horrible if you sweat, last thing I want to think about is clothing while training. So criteria, warm, comfortable, and can move well in it. Thanks, even if this topic is rather minor.

I would suggest some kind of wick away material for the bottom layer that way your clothes don't get crazy sweaty and you cool off super fast. Underarmor cold gear works pretty well..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

1. I'd get a space heater if its that cold.
    2. THe under armour stuff is hella expensive but probly the best choice
    3. Id just dress in layers. Long sleeve t shirt, sweatshirt, shorts under sweats. And once your warm take off a layer.
    4. Also use equiblock or icey hot or sumthing similar
    5. And tbh if your working out alone in your garage who cares what you wear. Put on a ski jacket to get warm. Once your moving around a light sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt will be fine.

Ya don't care what I look like and don't want to dump money into the fancy clothes, just want some cotton sweats or layers is a good idea like you guys said. I should get a good size space heater, but I measured and to get all the insulation i need is only 85 bucks, so I might insulate and get a space heater so my hands don't freeze to the bar, since I won't be wearing gloves. I saw some fancy hiking wick away thin silk type stuff but meh. So where can i even get a 100% cotton pair of sweats? I have hoodies but that gets in the way.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Insulate and turn on a space heater an hour early...... train in a bathing suit.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    Insulate and turn on a space heater an hour early...... train in a bathing suit.
    I guess my weekend is planned.

Wannabebig Member
    I use:

Poly Base Layer
    Cotton Long Sleeve T-shirt
    Lined Track Pants
    Sweatshirt
    Hat
    Rubber palm gloves
    Warm socks

When the high for the day is about 15 below freezing, you need to be warm.

Weather doesn't get too awful bad here in Texas, but I do have a few cold gear under armor shirts, and I can tell you, they're awesome. When it's really cold, last winter in the teens, I'm wearing UA cold gear base layer, long sleeve tshirt, and a hoodie. My legs I'll either just wear shorts, or sweats, and always in a beanie. Hell I'm usually in a beanie anyway.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

When I was in college I trained in my garage. I insulated the garage (well worth the $$) and then bought a salamander heater that I'd run for about 30min before training and then shut it off. It would get the garage up to around 65 and obviously cool off during training slowly

if your garage gets that cold, training in it probably isn't a super smart idea long term. No matter how many clothes you wear you still aren't going to get your extremities as warm as they should be to prevent injury. You really should insulate it and get a proper heater.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Space heater and some of those under armor tights to wear under your clothes. I got them for skiing and such. I can't believe how freaking warm they are. Oh yeah, gain some weight too!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Under Armor is dedinately what you need. But it is expensive on the store shelf at around $50 for a shirt and the same for pants. Id suggest googling them online to find the cheaper( usually around $35) or opting for similar wear like Reebok's or Champions version. Almost as good and cheaper on the wallet.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Garage is now insulated, neighbor traded me work and we got it done in 3 hours, and cost basically 100 bucks. Now to find a heater. Now I get to help him this afternoon with wood paneling in his house, worth it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Garage is now insulated, neighbor traded me work and we got it done in 3 hours, and cost basically 100 bucks. Now to find a heater. Now I get to help him this afternoon with wood paneling in his house, worth it imo.
    I was gonna say insulating thr garage shouldnt cost much more than a few pieces of under armor. When i did mine i gave my buddy an old bench shirt and i bought dinner. Not bad imo.

Holy crap, you are training in my equivalent of hell. You need to insulate. Also don't waste money on an electric space heater. In the long run kerosene is way, way cheaper. You don't have to run it as long, it heats up faster, and the heater itself will retain heat longer, meaning it doesn't have to restart as often. if you are in a purely uninsulated garage up north, there isn't an electric space heater made that I know of that will do much of anything to warm that up on a cold winter day.

I have a 200K BTU forced air heater in my gym. Yes the thing sounds like a jet engine when it starts up, but it will take the gym from almost freezing to a comfortable 75 in 12-14 minutes. Then it just runs every 20 minutes for a couple of minutes on the coldest days. If I had been able to insulate better, it wouldn't even run that much. My electric bill is much less with that setup, it burns about 5 gallons of kerosene every 2 weeks, and in my mind I've got much better heating.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Under Armor is dedinately what you need. But it is expensive on the store shelf at around $50 for a shirt and the same for pants. Id suggest googling them online to find the cheaper( usually around $35) or opting for similar wear like Reebok's or Champions version. Almost as good and cheaper on the wallet.
    Yeah, Target sells Champion's version of underarmor type stuff and I think it's pretty good. Most of the clothes are under $20.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

You can get Starter brand thermal gear at Wal-Mart. It's super cheap (way cheaper than UA) and works just fine.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wear a couple layers of clothes, once you get warmed up its not so bad. Make sure you wear gloves for your warmup sets (or roll your hoodie up over you palms) because your hands will stick to the bar and it rips the skin off when you try to get them off.

I gets to -40 where I live and my gym doesn't have a heater (we have yet to find a heater that stands up to be turned on for more then a few weeks at -30 to -40) I have had 2 of them light on fire though before i gave up.

ive gotten frostbite training before (chucks have no insulation) but for the most part ive not had any problems other then keeping training partners when it gets cold. I spent my youth playing hockey in arenas without heat so its really not much different.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Still looking for a heater, but apparently if you put insulation in you are supposed to sheet rock it. I don't feel like removing all of the shelving and going through the trouble, but i guess I have to before i sell the house. Fire hazard i guess. Trying to get an old heater from my boss at work.

Look on craigslist. You can usually pick up a used 50K BTU heater for pretty cheap

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Man up I train in my shed all year round in the hot summer and cold winter. If it snows I shovel my way to the shed. All I have is a p.o.s. barely working space heater that starts working when I am nearly done and a p.o.s. fan. And obviously wear layers in the winter until you are warmed up enough.

I handled the summer fine, but I want to see you train in -35 to -50. Like what was mentioned earlier your hands will freeze to the bar, i supposed chalking up extremely good could reduce any moisture. Not to be rude, but its funny you talking about manning up when you have a heater, regardless if it "barely works."

Thanks travis I will keep looking around, its amazing how expensive anything new is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ironwill727 View Post
    Man up I train in my shed all year round in the hot summer and cold winter. If it snows I shovel my way to the shed. All I have is a p.o.s. barely working space heater that starts working when I am nearly done and a p.o.s. fan. And obviously wear layers in the winter until you are warmed up enough.
    Your little shed is actually going to hold your bodyheat and space heater heat better than his garage will because it's a smaller space.

The whole "man up" stuff is great until someone tears a muscle. I'm not saying you need to be in 70 degree rooms, but 55 is pretty reasonable.

Win = UnderArmor and space heater.
    When I die, I want to go out the way I came into this world. Screaming at the top of my lungs and covered in someone else's blood.