Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This cant be legal

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Not surprising that so many people agree with it these days people are willing to give up all kinds of freedoms.
    exactly, i agree
    Last edited by soclydeza; 11-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Yeah I don't really agree that his car should be towed, you should be able to leave your keys in the car if you want. Not the brightest idea but I don't see how it is against the law. That is like towing a car for leaving a purse on the seat, you could say it is inviting crime because it gives a criminal more motivation to break into the car but to say you can't do that is asinine.

Here, we would make every attempt to make contact with the owner IF someone called in saying there's a car sitting there with keys in it. Then, we'd leave expecting to be out making a stolen vehicle report or burglary report later on. I think it is stupid his car was towed, but what would have happened if his car WAS stolen? Would the thread title be "Local PD bastards didn't tell me I left my keys in my car and my car got stolen!" FTW!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    The way I look @ it is this is America. If I want to leave my keys in my car it's my prerogative.
    And if someone wants to call the police because it bothers them that there is a car outside their house with the keys in the ignition, that is there prerogative. Circular logic is circular.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    And if someone wants to call the police because it bothers them that there is a car outside their house with the keys in the ignition, that is there prerogative. Circular logic is circular.
    Sure they can call the cops, I can call the cops because I don't like your haircut but that doesn't mean the cops can/should do anything about it.

That's because a bad haircut is not illegal. Apparently, leaving your keys in the ignition of your car is.

It is a decision. I full well understand what the consequences of my actions could be, but I was under the impression in this country you have the right to make a decision and live with the consequences.
    Obviously you don't understand the consequences, because one of them is that the police will come tow your vehicle for being left unattended on city property with the keys in the ignition. So now you can 'live with it' as you so eloquently stated. So grow the fuck up, pay your fine, and stop leaving your keys in the ignition.
    Last edited by Altephor; 11-19-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

Did you get the car back? Was anything explained?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

That's because a bad haircut is not illegal. Apparently, leaving your keys in the ignition of your car is.

Obviously you don't understand the consequences, because one of them is that the police will come tow your vehicle for being left unattended on city property with the keys in the ignition. So now you can 'live with it' as you so eloquently stated. So grow the fuck up, pay your fine, and stop leaving your keys in the ignition.
    I agree my only problem is that a law like that should not exist to begin with. Then again were getting more and more laws like that as time goes by so I guess it shouldn't really surprise me. I just hope I'm dead and gone before things become unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    ...and to say "because it invites crime" is absolutely ridiculous.
    I stand corrected. I ran across this online:
    "In 2010, the Baltimore Regional Auto Theft Task Force studied 400 criminal cases involving recovered stolen cars. The task force found that 85 percent had been stolen simply by using the keys that were in the car."
    Thus, "results in" is actually much more accurate than "invites" crime. Link: http://www.carinsurancequotes.com/ar...keys-ignition/

Quote Originally Posted by TKisner
    My rebuttal to the property value argument, which I disagree with in the first place....
    Area crime decreases property values. This is fact and can be confirmed thru multiple sources. If you choose to deny this, you aren't living in reality and discussing further is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by TKisner
    Your move to a farm comment is also bothersome...
    It certainly wasn't intended to be so. On a farm you'd be much less likely to be encountered by big brother and subjected to his tyranical rule. Or you could just take your keys out of the ignition like the rest of us.
    Last edited by razorcut; 11-20-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Got the truck back, got some previous outstanding tickets I had removed, it ended well but I still don't agree with the erosion of rights. I'll just leave with this "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." With homeland security and big brother I feel like most people in America fall into this category.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

Got the truck back, got some previous outstanding tickets I had removed, it ended well but I still don't agree with the erosion of rights. I'll just leave with this "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." With homeland security and big brother I feel like most people in America fall into this category.
    see my post above:

the people vote the lawmakers into office. If you are unhappy with the laws in your state/country, either move or do something about it (IE: vote other people in).

On a side note, it's not all about saftey either. BILLIONS of dollars are spent on vehicle theft claims every year. That's billions of dollars that are made back by increasing insurance premiums. Whether it's a big increase or a small increase, carelessness like yours affects everyone else's insurance rates.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Dr. Subtotal
    You do realize driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right...
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    You do realize driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right...
    one could argue that its not the privilege of driving that was infringed upon, it was the right to his personal property.

this had nothing to do with him committing any act while driving, it had to do with the state in which he left his personal property.

"Previous outstanding tickets.." aka tickets you failed to pay on time? Sounds like you have a problem with authority, and not constitutional rights.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

one could argue that its not the privilege of driving that was infringed upon, it was the right to his personal property.

this had nothing to do with him committing any act while driving, it had to do with the state in which he left his personal property.
    Don't be ridiculous. His personal property could very easily become a danger if a 12 year old decided to go for a spin. I suppose it shouldn't be illegal to discharge firearms in populated area either since after all it is our property.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. His personal property could very easily become a danger if a 12 year old decided to go for a spin. I suppose it shouldn't be illegal to discharge firearms in populated area either since after all it is our property.
    well maybe the parents should be watching their child so that doesnt happen? or if that fails, maybe if he/she was taught some common sense then they would make better decisions? if the kid was taught anything correctly they would know A) not to meddle with someone elses property and B) dont put themselves in such danger.

perhaps restaurants should stop allowing their customers to cut their own steak since they could potentially be allowing a murder to occur on their property? maybe mother nature needs to be regulated since she did make bodies of water that could very easily drown a child. why not force people to put locks on their mailboxes? afterall, a thief could steal their mail and commit identity theft.

this kind of thinking is the same as whats behind all those frivolous lawsuits, like the mcdonalds lady who burned herself on their coffee. people need to take responsibility for their own actions, and if they havent learned that then they sure as hell should not be raising children that would break into and drive a strangers car. when i was a kid my parents left all their cars unlocked with the keys in them (they had a lot of property and were gated so they didnt have to worry about theft), i never once though about stealing one of their cars 'cause i was taught better.

you can argue that anything, from a car to an empty can of paint, can be used to harm someone else in some kind of way. the spread of this whole "regulate everything to avoid people doing dumb shit" needs to be stopped in this country.
    Last edited by soclydeza; 11-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Then I guess it should be illegal to leave your keys out anywhere. Any 12 year old can grab his/her parents keys and take the car they don't have to find a stranger who left the keys in his.

you can argue that anything, from a car to an empty can of paint, can be used to harm someone else in some kind of way. the spread of this whole "regulate everything to avoid people doing dumb shit" needs to be stopped in this country.
    Couldn't have said it better. Maybe it's just me but it feels like it's only getting worse.

You can do whatever you want with your personal property, ON YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY. Can I come park my car in your living room? Shouldn't be a problem right, it's my car after all, I can put it wherever I want, right?

The city street is NOT your property. You do not own a piece of sidewalk and asphalt.

If you put YOUR property somewhere that you do not own, you are subject to the rules and regulations set forth by the owner of said property. In this case, a city in West Virginia.

How the fuck is this hard to understand? If you don't like it, move. Not to mention, surprise surprise, the OP had existing, outstanding unpaid tickets. Oh, lo and behold, more to the story! If you have an issue with obeying laws in this country, feel free to get the fuck out. Idiots.
    Last edited by Altephor; 11-21-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

You can do whatever you want with your personal property, ON YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY. Can I come park my car in your living room? Shouldn't be a problem right, it's my car after all, I can put it wherever I want, right?

The city street is NOT your property. You do not own a piece of sidewalk and asphalt.

If you put YOUR property somewhere that you do not own, you are subject to the rules and regulations set forth by the owner of said property. In this case, a city in West Virginia.

How the fuck is this hard to understand? If you don't like it, move. Not to mention, surprise surprise, the OP had existing, outstanding unpaid tickets. Oh, lo and behold, more to the story! If you have an issue with obeying laws in this country, feel free to get the fuck out. Idiots.
    Problem...most of the people here also agree with the OWS crowd. It's like the hippie generation of the 60's and 70's coming back to bite us all in the ass. They want to do whatever they want to do, and when they do something wrong, they want to be excused for doing it and on their way. I guess if you kill your kid it's ok because their yours and you should be able to do whatever you want with your property. Some of the arguments in here are based on personal feelings and wants/complaining about your rights being taken away, whatever. Laws are laws, if you don't like it get involved in your city council meetings to make a motion for a hearing to get the law removed. But likely, the law abiding citizens in your town will disagree with you, becuase in the end, its their property taxes, their communities, and their local economy you're fucking up.
    Last edited by Mark!; 11-21-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

i dont think you understand the point im trying to make. i never argued whether or not the OP should have gotten away with breaking the law, the law is the law and yes it should be abided by. i was arguing how stupid of a law it is and how similar laws and that kind of thinking should be reassessed.

and for the record, i sure as hell am not an OWSer, i just believe in personal freedoms and dont understand why people are so quick to give them up for some stupid logic.

i dont think you understand the point im trying to make. i never argued whether or not the OP should have gotten away with breaking the law, the law is the law and yes it should be abided by. i was arguing how stupid of a law it is and how similar laws and that kind of thinking should be reassessed.
    IMO, it's a pretty solid law. The body of the law states:

WEST VIRGINIA CODE
    §17C-14-1. Unattended motor vehicle; penalty.

(a) No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key, and effectively setting the brake thereon and, when standing upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.
    (b) Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars; upon a second conviction within one year thereafter, shall be fined not more than two hundred dollars; and upon a third or subsequent conviction, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars.
    The purpose of the law is to prevent someone from leaving their vehicle running whilst unattended. Then it further goes on to say to take your keys out and turn the wheels inward if you're on a down grade. You know what that means? If you park your vehicle on a hill and don't turn your tires inward you're subject to a fine/tow as well. It all revolves around safety. Your brake slips and the car flies down the hill into oncoming traffic causing thousands in damage and possibly costing lives.

When you get pulled over, whats the first thing the police say? License, Registration and proof of insurance. So, typically 2 of those are in the vehicle at all times. Furthermore, I've personally delt with hundreds of people that LEAVE THEIR TITLE IN THE GLOVE BOX. So, by leaving your keys in the ignition, you not only invite passersby into your vehicle, but you also give them your name, address, date of birth, insurance information, and more. Now maybe that same criminal comes back a week later looking for another car. Or he tells his scumbag buddies. You just invited crime into your neighborhood.

We can't control what other people think or what their actions are, but we can protect against crime. What you did was not only unsafe to yourself, but to the rest of the community.

There is a purpose behind every law and nearly every one of them with regards to driving or a vehicle has to do with safety. People spend a lot of time trying to make this country safe what responses do they get: "Fuck the po-po", "these laws are stupid", etc.

I don't understand how you jackasses don't see how un-safe this is. What the fuck is with everybody and their god damn sense of entitlement to their "rights"? Please direct me to the notation in the constitution that says "I shall have a right to leave my keys in my car". America is full of a bunch of punk ass kids that are too lazy to do anything but complain about how entitled they are to the "American Dream". News flash, the American Dream was for people that worked hard to better their lives, not for those that have had everything handed to them their entire life.

If you don't like the rules and regulations here, get the fuck out.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Problem...most of the people here also agree with the OWS crowd. It's like the hippie generation of the 60's and 70's coming back to bite us all in the ass. They want to do whatever they want to do, and when they do something wrong, they want to be excused for doing it and on their way. I guess if you kill your kid it's ok because their yours and you should be able to do whatever you want with your property. Some of the arguments in here are based on personal feelings and wants/complaining about your rights being taken away, whatever. Laws are laws, if you don't like it get involved in your city council meetings to make a motion for a hearing to get the law removed. But likely, the law abiding citizens in your town will disagree with you, becuase in the end, its their property taxes, their communities, and their local economy you're fucking up.
    hippies? im personally mainly conservative in my beliefs, never been arrested, pay my taxes and so on. with freedom comes

hippies? im personally mainly conservative in my beliefs, never been arrested, pay my taxes and so on. with freedom comes
    sorry my phone submitted halfway through.

...with freedom come great responsibility, that doesnt mean its ok to let the government babysit you through every decision you make. as i said, the OP broke the law so its his responsibility to pay up for it. that doesnt change it from being a stupid fucking law that infringes on personal freedoms.