The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    that doesnt change it from being a stupid fucking law that infringes on personal freedoms.
    HOW does it infringe upon a personal freedom when the vehicle was parked on the government's streets? The government didn't strip his car, tag it, or vandalize it. They simply got it off their street because of how the vehicle was left unattended.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    HOW does it infringe upon a personal freedom when the vehicle was parked on the government's streets? The government didn't strip his car, tag it, or vandalize it. They simply got it off their street because of how the vehicle was left unattended.
    Don't bother. These people obviously don't understand what constitutes a 'personal freedom'.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    ....surprise surprise, the OP had existing, outstanding unpaid tickets. Oh, lo and behold, more to the story!
    This is a key component to the story, IMO. It took awhile to get the entire story in context.

My strong suspicion is that the car wasn't even towed for the "key left in ignition" infraction. However in the process of issuing a citation for said infraction, authorities run plates...discover unpaid fines/tickets...and viola: car gets towed.

History tells us that cracking down on minor offenses also results in a decrease in major crime. Take Giuliani as mayor of NYC....he decides to crackdown on subway turnstile jumpers and initially gets a lot of shit for it. After all, there are larger fish to fry -- no? But the stats ultimately revealed a significant decrease in overall crime rate. Individuals that commit petty crime tend to be the same folks that graduate to higher level offenses. Crime begets crime. This has been proven again and again.

In the case of the OP, it's reassuring to see the end result. Sometimes laws do work, and IMO they did here. I'm signing off on this thread. Happy Thankgiving to all.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by razorcut View Post
    This is a key component to the story, IMO. It took awhile to get the entire story in context.

My strong suspicion is that the car wasn't even towed for the "key left in ignition" infraction. However in the process of issuing a citation for said infraction, authorities run plates...discover unpaid fines/tickets...and viola: car gets towed.

History tells us that cracking down on minor offenses also results in a decrease in major crime. Take Giuliani as mayor of NYC....he decides to crackdown on subway turnstile jumpers and initially gets a lot of shit for it. After all, there are larger fish to fry -- no? But the stats ultimately revealed a significant decrease in overall crime rate. Individuals that commit petty crime tend to be the same folks that graduate to higher level offenses. Crime begets crime. This has been proven again and again.

In the case of the OP, it's reassuring to see the end result. Sometimes laws do work, and IMO they did here. I'm signing off on this thread. Happy Thankgiving to all.
    Major players in the crime world don't just play in the super bowl. Tim McVeigh was arrested for No DL I believe, and taken in to the county jail, but I guess to some it's infringing upon their personal privacy whether or not they want to have a DL or not. Just like insurance, Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility, that's a ticket, AND we get to tow your car while you walk home, but since that's YOUR vehicle, the state shouldn't be able to say you have to have insurance or not right?

All of you have likely never been on the receiving end of something where the stupid laws actually worked in your favor. I've been hit by 3 drunk drivers, 2 didn't have insurance, and I should have beat the living shit out of right there in the middle of the road, fucking piece of shit. It sounds like a bunch of teenagers sitting around talking about being rebellious and how they hate authority and "big brother". Hell, if your parents and older brothers didn't fuck up the system so much, then you wouldn't have to pay for govt babysitting. To me, if people are so damn worried about the government watching them, you've got some fucking dirty laundry somewhere. Like Razor, I to am done in this thread. A crybaby wanted to complain about breaking a law and having to pay the price, regardless of how stupid it is, it's a law. It's his and our responsibility to read the laws of the road and, as a driver and vehicle owner.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Don't bother. These people obviously don't understand what constitutes a 'personal freedom'.
    personal freedom/liberty means that an individual can do whatever he or she so pleases, so long as it doesnt infringe upon the rights and personal freedoms of another individual (that is pretty much the exact legal definition of Liberty http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/liberty, a fading concept in this country).

the OP didnt, nor potentially wouldn't, directly infringe upon anyone elses rights as an individual by leaving his keys in his car. yes i do understand that there is a law regarding this and i do not blame the police for enforcing that law, im just arguing the ridiculous reasoning behind such laws.

i said all that i can say, lets just agree to disagree. sorry if i offended anyone in my rantings, just please dont call people hippies or talk to them like they're children just because they support one of the founding principles of this country. im a grown ass man and have always obeyed the law, its just a topic that i feel strongly about and i feel like its my duty as a citizen to question some laws, just as everyone else should do. anyway, have an awesome holiday guys!
    Last edited by soclydeza; 11-22-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. His personal property could very easily become a danger if a 12 year old decided to go for a spin. I suppose it shouldn't be illegal to discharge firearms in populated area either since after all it is our property.
    Exactly. Leaving keys in the ignition is dangerous with kids around. It might sound like a stretch, but it's not much better than leaving a gun out for anyone to pick up.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar

hmm...
    Last edited by thecityalive; 11-28-2011 at 08:15 AM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive