The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    216

    This cant be legal

    My car was towed because I left the keys in the ignition. I live in wheeling WV. Please someone tell me this is illegal. This is America right?
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    What is the rest of the situation? Where were you parked, where there no parking signs, parking limits, etc?
    6'1", 215lbs

    Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

  4. #3
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,590
    Sounds very odd to me.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  5. #4
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Check ebay and craigslists for parts from it. STAT!
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  6. #5
    Senior Member Justin R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    82
    I know you can get a ticket for leaving the car ON while unattended, but I am assuming the vehicle was off. I can't believe it would be illegal to leave your keys in the ignition of a turned off vehicle. My boss at my old job owned 5 cars including 2 Lamborghinis, a BMW 850csl and Range Rover sport and he kept the ignition key in each of them and never took them out once. Never locked the doors either, lol.

    I would call the local PD or courthouse, whoever can tell you your local traffic laws/codes. If its not illegal, I would report the vehicle stolen and give them the name/address of the towing company. You will have your car back in no time.

  7. #6
    Beefcake razorcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,777
    gotta be more to this story
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

    "Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

    "It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

  8. #7
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by razorcut View Post
    gotta be more to this story
    this
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    216
    Heres your update. It was towed by the police. They said it was illegal to have the keys in the ignition. The car was parked in the street, but im guessing the D-bag neighbors down the way took offense to it being in front of their house for a few days and called the cops. Cops wonder why people don't like them. The dispatch guy I spoke to sounded confused when he was telling me why my car was towed. I felt like he too grasped the ridiculousness of it.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    655
    you left your car for a few days with keys in it? lucky it was the cops that got it..

  11. #10
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    you left your car for a few days with keys in it? lucky it was the cops that got it..
    ^ This. Assuming that it did violate a statute you really can't blame the cops for having it towed. Directing you to the impound lot is a whole lot easier than dealing with grand theft auto because you didn't feel like taking the keys out.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    ^ This. Assuming that it did violate a statute you really can't blame the cops for having it towed. Directing you to the impound lot is a whole lot easier than dealing with grand theft auto because you didn't feel like taking the keys out.
    You can try to spin this anyway you want. Its insane that they can tow your car for that reason. If I want to leave my keys in the car I paid for then I should be able to do that.

  13. #12
    Beefcake razorcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    You can try to spin this anyway you want. Its insane that they can tow your car for that reason. If I want to leave my keys in the car I paid for then I should be able to do that.
    Whether they can legally tow, I don't know. But it does appear to be against the law in some states to leave keys in an unattended vehicle: http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content46505.aspx

    Spin or not, I'll put it another way: A car left any period of time (let alone multiple days) with the keys in the ignition, invites crime. Because I'm a home owner and also now have a son, I don't want crime in my neighborhood. If I noticed an unattended car on my street with keys left in the ignition, I'd first try to locate the owner. If I didn't have success on that front after about 24 hours, I'd call the cops too.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

    "Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

    "It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

  14. #13
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    You can try to spin this anyway you want. Its insane that they can tow your car for that reason. If I want to leave my keys in the car I paid for then I should be able to do that.
    I suppose you should not have to abide by speed limits either since you paid for the car.

    Leaving your keys in the car is just careless. If carelessness promotes crime then there is every rationale reason to enforce the carelessness.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  15. #14
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    You can try to spin this anyway you want. Its insane that they can tow your car for that reason. If I want to leave my keys in the car I paid for then I should be able to do that.
    This doesn't make sense. If I want to nut in the prostitute I paid for then I should be able to do that, but it's still illegal in every state outside of Nevada.

    If you're that pissed, do some investigating and find the statute/law that prohibits you from keeping your vehicle immobile for certain lengths of time with the keys in the ignition.

    Furthermore, when you leave your keys in the ignition for extended periods of time, how the fuck does your battery not die?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    216
    The way I look @ it is this is America. If I want to leave my keys in my car it's my prerogative. I've left cash on the seat with the doors unlocked. I''ll leave my whole wallet in the car fairly often. I've done this since I've first start driving 6 years ago. I've never been messed with. So never once did I have my car touched until the cops decided to touch it. To say that to have it towed is less of a hassle than to have it stolen, for me, is historically wrong. The only people who have ever caused me automotive inconvenience is the police.

    Behemoth I disagree with you calling it careless. It is a decision. I full well understand what the consequences of my actions could be, but I was under the impression in this country you have the right to make a decision and live with the consequences. Behemoth I also disagree with you about your comparing it to speeding for the same reason this bothers me so much leaving keys in cars causes no harm to people. It is not like speeding, reckless driving etc. I won't hit somebody with my car because I left my keys in it. The only person who could be negatively impacted is myself, and I accept that. I find in fault in people viewing things like this as not that big of a deal because it is a gradual erosion of our rights. What does it matter what I do with my keys? I don't want the government to protect me from a harmless decision I want it to stay out of my life.

    The fact that some people think that the towing is justified disappoints me as an American.
    Last edited by TKisner; 11-17-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

  17. #16
    Beefcake razorcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    The reason this bothers me is because leaving keys in cars causes no harm to people.
    It is inviting crime. Crime begets crime. Crime reduces real estate property values....not to mention puts innocent people potentially in harm's way. You'll find at times in life, the world doesn't revolve around you.

    Move to a farm.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

    "Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

    "It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    The way I look @ it is this is America. If I want to leave my keys in my car it's my prerogative.
    And if someone wants to call the police because it bothers them that there is a car outside their house with the keys in the ignition, that is there prerogative. Circular logic is circular.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

    Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

  19. #18
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    And if someone wants to call the police because it bothers them that there is a car outside their house with the keys in the ignition, that is there prerogative. Circular logic is circular.
    Sure they can call the cops, I can call the cops because I don't like your haircut but that doesn't mean the cops can/should do anything about it.
    6'1", 215lbs

    Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,378
    That's because a bad haircut is not illegal. Apparently, leaving your keys in the ignition of your car is.

    Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    It is a decision. I full well understand what the consequences of my actions could be, but I was under the impression in this country you have the right to make a decision and live with the consequences.
    Obviously you don't understand the consequences, because one of them is that the police will come tow your vehicle for being left unattended on city property with the keys in the ignition. So now you can 'live with it' as you so eloquently stated. So grow the fuck up, pay your fine, and stop leaving your keys in the ignition.
    Last edited by Altephor; 11-19-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

    Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    That's because a bad haircut is not illegal. Apparently, leaving your keys in the ignition of your car is.



    Obviously you don't understand the consequences, because one of them is that the police will come tow your vehicle for being left unattended on city property with the keys in the ignition. So now you can 'live with it' as you so eloquently stated. So grow the fuck up, pay your fine, and stop leaving your keys in the ignition.
    I agree my only problem is that a law like that should not exist to begin with. Then again were getting more and more laws like that as time goes by so I guess it shouldn't really surprise me. I just hope I'm dead and gone before things become unbearable.

  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    216
    Your logic is flawed as far as innocent people. A guy who wants to steal my car because the key is in it is not going to go inside of every house on the block rape the women then tie the men down and make them listen to a Justin Bieber album. What criminal is going to decide that a theft was too easy and then go tack on some felonies for good measure? The only thing at risk was my vehicle which I acknowledged and accepted.

    Furthermore, Thieves aren't magically going to come out of the woodwork because they heard a car has it's keys in it. Thieves don't just pick up and move for a gold rush of auto theft in a region. There is a relatively static number of criminals in an area an easy theft will not cause an influx of crime nor will it have an effect on property values. To continue this trend auto thieves look for vehicles which are easy to unload and have a demand for the parts. My truck is older, there are not a lot of them, there is low demand for parts, and I would bet they are one of the least stolen vehicles out there. Even as a percentage of the total made.

    My rebuttal to the property value argument, which I disagree with in the first place, is we are currently having a housing crisis. Why? I would argue the government. The government forces lenders to give mortgage loans to at risk people. They say it's equality. It's stupidity. If the government is here to protect housing prices how come the government didn't intervene when mortgage companies were giving loans to people who they knew had no chance of paying the mortgage? How come the government bailed out these lenders which creates the whole issue with moral hazard. All those things caused much more damage to housing prices than keys in the ignition ever would. Just to make an easy example alcohol causes more crime and death than leaving keys in the car yet alcohol is not illegal to people of a certain age. Leaving your keys in your which causes almost no crime and certainly no death is 100% illegal always. Heres another example. Weightlifting is dangerous. If you get hurt you might not be able to work. I don't want to pay your unemployment. Therefore to eliminate this risk working out is illegal. Only pilates are legal from this day forth. The law is different, but the principles behind it are the same, and if that principle gets one dumb law passed it can continue

    How does my argument think the world revolves around me? I did something which affects no one. I was willing to accept the consequences yet i'm punished like a criminal.
    Last edited by TKisner; 11-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

  23. #22
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    My rebuttal to the property value argument, which I disagree with in the first place, is we are currently having a housing crisis. Why? I would argue the government. The government forces lenders to give mortgage loans to at risk people. They say it's equality. It's stupidity. If the government is here to protect housing prices how come the government didn't intervene when mortgage companies were giving loans to people who they knew had no chance of paying the mortgage? How come the government bailed out these lenders which creates the whole issue with moral hazard. All those things caused much more damage to housing prices than keys in the ignition ever would. Just to make an easy example alcohol causes more crime and death than leaving keys in the car yet alcohol is not illegal to people of a certain age. Leaving your keys in your which causes almost no crime and certainly no death is 100% illegal always. Heres another example. Weightlifting is dangerous. If you get hurt you might not be able to work. I don't want to pay your unemployment. Therefore to eliminate this risk working out is illegal. Only pilates are legal from this day forth. The law is different, but the principles behind it are the same, and if that principle gets one dumb law passed it can continue
    your argument is silly. The government has caused a lot of shitty issues, but the housing crisis is not one of them. The crisis was caused by the banks, lack of appraisals and retarded people taking interest only loans. The banks approve a 500k house on an interest only loan that is only $1000/month. Your average-income middle class home can afford a max of $2000/month payment. After 2-3 years the payment balloons up to $3000/month and the dummy can't pay so it forecloses. Now the bank sells it again. Win Win for the bank. They just made $x in all interest and they only have to take a small hit in the principal when it sells again.

    Second, everyone has spelled it out for you, I'm not sure how you aren't getting it. The farm comment would be because on a farm, there are many, many less people than in the city. Less people = less chance for crime. Use some common sense.

    Just because YOU haven't delt with a stolen vehicle yet, does not mean it doesn't happen. It is far more bothersome the deal with insurance than simply going and paying to have your car back. I'm an insurance adjuster, I know the procedures. Would you rather pay the $200 for breaking the law and have your vehicle back, or would you rather wait 3-6 months for a fraud investigation to conclude that the vehicle was indeed stolen and not hidden/sold/burned for financial gain purposes?

    If you don't like the laws here, do something about them or move to another country.

    Where I'm from, if you leave your keys in the vehicle you either a) want it stolen or b) are involved in some type of drug ring. Leaving a vehicle there for days with the keys in the ignition is lazy and careless, unless you fall under category a or b. If I were walking my son down the street on our nightly walk, and there was a car sitting there for days on end with the keys in the ignition, you would be damn sure I would call the cops. How do I know that vehicle isn't going to fucking blow up as I'm walking by it? Or am I going to get stabbed because someone sees me walking by and there are drugs in the vehicle. Stop be so fucking stupid.
    Last edited by JSully; 11-18-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    216
    Your move to a farm comment is also bothersome, and comes off as rude. Your argument is that criminals would be invited to steal my truck because the keys were in it. Yet if I left my keys in my truck at a farm then I would, again, be inviting criminals to steal it. So how does moving to a farm make me safer?
    Last edited by TKisner; 11-17-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

  25. #24
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,313
    I'm with Behemoth and razocut on this one in that it invites crime and therefore can't be allowed. It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to picture a few 12-14 year old kids noticing it and curiosity getting the better of them. Any number of disasters could come from that.

  26. #25
    Dr. Subtotal
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,372
    FWIW in some states, if you are in a car and intoxicated and the keys are in the ignition, you're liable for a DWI arrest. It always seemed to be one of those borderline definition laws.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

    Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Similar Threads

  1. Is this legal?
    By Behemoth in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
  2. How can this **** be legal?
    By Altephor in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM
  3. Is this legal?
    By Bullshark in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •