The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cross Fit and other lifting

My questions and they may be based on ignorance:
    1.) Do you guys do Cross Fit everyday?
    2.) Do you feel you lose mass without traditional lifting/routines?
    3.) Do you supplement traditional lifting with cross fit?
    4.) Is your workout the WOD and that is all?

Thanks. I've done some crossfit in the past, but just dabbling and I would like to do more. I am concerned about losing mass, but would love to lose BF.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Let me say, I still sort of Crossfit, but after going to the Westside Powerlifting Cert, I've been doing more Westside stuff with some CF stuff.

Crossfitters fall in a couple of camps, but I think of those who do varied fitness workouts 3-6 times a week--some mix up of strength work, metcons and endurance work with all the various movements. So these people "crossfit" probably 3-6 times a week.

The other camp, is do a basic strength program 2-4 times a week mixed in with 2-4 metcons/endurance work.

I feel the first camp is good for general fitness. The second camp is probably better for strength.

I think if you eat a lot, in either camp you can maintain weight, but I think doing a base strength program with reasonably chosen metcons would probably be a better fit for you.

For those who just CrossFit, that is typically the only workout they do. But, keep in mind you are supposed to attack it with fury--so the idea is mainly brief but intense workouts most of the time.

CrossFit mainpage workouts follow the first camp--just do the WOD and over time you'll cover most of your fitness bases.

When I did more CrossFit only, I'd still do 2 basic strength workouts and then 3-5 WODs a week.

I am trying to justify $100 per month cross fit, that I may only do a few times a week.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    I go 5-6 days a week typically
    Strangely enough I have gained close to 20lbs since starting and all my lifts have gone up. Don't think this is the norm
    No although we do strength work some days prior to wods
    Pretty much unless we have some other work scheduled like strength, oly lifting technique, mobility/flexibility, etc.

Thanks. I've done some crossfit in the past, but just dabbling and I would like to do more. I am concerned about losing mass, but would love to lose BF.
    My answers are in bold.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

What box will you be going to? Have you checked out their daily WODs? Some list daily strength work others don't. I'd look over their programming for the last mont and see what you think. Just don't undervalue some of the WODs. Often the easiest ones turn out being the worst.

If you go at least 3 x week, I think $100 a month is a pretty good deal. Especially if the instructor ratio is around 6 students:1 instructor. If you aren't familiar with the WODs and movements, I think it is worth going to a box for 3-6 months just to get proficient in the movements and then if you aren't in love with your box, you can start training at home or alone at a gym.

If they don't have a strength program, and after giving their programming a trial for a while, you might want to ask if they mind you coming in early/at other times/ or staying late to to do a little strength work.

Does box mean gym?

yes.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

It is worth it for the personal training aspect and community in my opinion. It will likely motivate you to actually train like you should. My guess based upon your questions is you are someone who trains for a while then doesn't etc.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree with all of the above. I personally try to get theta 3 times a week. Right now I'm not supplementing it with lifting and never have, although I plan to start soon. I've gained muscle and lost 20lbs of fat over the last year, in addition to several "firsts" of physical feats (dead hang pull ups, ring dips, jump rope double unders, etc.). I love it, and don't see myself NOT having HIIT in my life in some fashion in the near or even distant future.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

1.) I CrossFit about 5 days a week.
    2.) What do you consider traditional? I still lift weights, more in fact than I did when I used to go to a regular gym. Since CrossFit, my Back Squat, Deadlift, and press have increased, and I use proper form. I've also been introduced to Olympic lifting and kettlebells, things you rarely see in a regular gym.
    3.) Again, what do you consider traditional? CrossFit is all encompassing.
    4.) This is going to depend on your goals. Some boxes do a strength component first, then a METCON.

Don't limit yourself. CrossFit is what you make it. I think the money is worth it. Even if just for a few months, to learn from the Coaches and get a feel for how programming is done. Give it try as is. After a couple months, decide if you need to add or subtract from it. Your individual goals will drive your training.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Does box mean gym?
    CrossFit affiliate, gym, training center - minimalist name that echoes the minimalist formalities of CrossFit.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I do crossfit for conditioning, although it isn't your typical crossfit workout. I'd never give up my strength based/bb routine, though.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    I do crossfit for conditioning, although it isn't your typical crossfit workout. I'd never give up my strength based/bb routine, though.
    It's good gpp, but more and more of their top athletes are incorporating strength based workouts as well. This is what I am planning to do.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

The affiliate I go to incorporates strength in every class. We always do DL / Squat / OH Press at least once a week, and usually squat 2 times a week considering we divide up front/back/OH.

The days we aren't doing the "big 3" lifts, we are doing variations that include those lifts, meaning we power/squat clean, jerk, power/squat snatch etc...
    We usually do a WOD after our strength training, but sometimes we do a WOD before the strength.

Our affiliate trained the 1st place team in the Midwest regionals this year, who went to the CF Games and finished 11th in the world, so it seems to be working well.

If you consume enough calories, you shouldn't lose mass or strength. You should gain strength if you are doing it right.