The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stick

Dumbbell Deadlifts Vs. Dumbell Squats?

So apparently I'm doing something wrong because the routine I use calls for both of these exercises on different days, but up until I just realized they're different I've been doing the exact same. What is the difference between these two? The videos I've seen look the same to me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Look up barbell deadlifts and barbell squats. If you still can't figure out the difference, then I can't help you...
    When I die, I want to go out the way I came into this world. Screaming at the top of my lungs and covered in someone else's blood.

Stick
    Oh wow, that's completely different than what I've been doing. So I'm guessing the site I got the routine from is just plain wrong in calling this a dumbbell squat?

http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell-squat.html

Stick
    For comparision, here's their instructions for dumbbell deadlifts:

http://www.building-muscle101.com/du...-deadlift.html

Stick
    So.... For the squat the dumbbells need to be held up near my shoulders like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeqytTtq4

Do you workout at home?
    When I die, I want to go out the way I came into this world. Screaming at the top of my lungs and covered in someone else's blood.

Stick
    Yes. My entire routine is done at home with just a bench and a pair of dumbbells. The gym is not really a financially viable option for me right now.

Stick
    Actually, since there's no way for me to tell what kind of deadlift the author of the routine I use meant(and I know there are a lot of different types), how about I just repost the entire routine and get you fine folks' opinion on what type of deadlift I should do on the red line bolded below. Note that on Monday's the "Squats" I do are me just squatting down with the dumbbells at my sides and on Wednesdays I do stiff-legged deadlifts. You guys probably have better advice than the guy that wrote it anyway.

Monday:

Dumbbell bench press (Chest)
    Warm up 1 x 15 reps
    3 sets of 8 reps

Incline dumbbell press (Upper Chest)
    3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell squats (Quadriceps - Front Of The Thighs)
    4 sets of 10 reps

Alternate dumbbell curls (Biceps)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Pullover (Back / Chest)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
    4 sets of 15

Wednesday:
    Arnold press (Shoulders)
    Warm up 1 x 15 reps
    3 sets of 10 reps

Alternate front dumbbell raises (Shoulders)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell rows (Mid Back)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell stiff legged deadlifts (Hamstrings / Butt)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
    4 sets of 15

Friday:
    Dumbbell deadlifts (Mid Lower Back)
    4 sets of 12 reps

Incline dumbbell press (Upper Chest)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Lunges (Legs)
    3 sets of 12

Alternate dumbbell curls (Biceps)
    3 sets of 12 reps

One arm dumbbell extensions (Triceps)
    3 sets of 12 reps

Ab Crunches (Abdominals)
    4 sets of 15
    Last edited by SmallyBigs; 11-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Stiff-legged deadlifts is what I would have recommended. You can't really do DB deads because a proper DL involves a barbell and the bar to be pulled from a specific height. A deadlift, is not a DB exercise, but you can bastardize it by doing SLDL with DB.

Depending on how heavy your DBs are, you could try goblet squats as a substitute. If not, the way you're doing them is fine. You can also load them on your shoulders as well. Or find a broom stick (something stronger) and tie the DBs to it. Never tried it, so it could go disasterously wrong. And don't forget; craigslist is your friend. There are a ton of over-weight and out-of-shape people who bought weights thinking they were going to use them one day, and then unload them for cheap because its junk in the way (to them).

Stick
    So doing "Squats" on Monday and "Deadlifts" on Friday, when the way I'm doing them really makes them the same exercise, isn't too much? If that's the case I'll keep doing them as-is.

And it's funny, I was just thinking about where I could get some more weight last night. I've only been lifting for a few weeks and I'm already up to 30lbs on each dumbbell for my benches and incline benches(my weights only go up to 36 lbs.). I never thought a bout craigslist, but I'd imagine I can find some great deals on there for heavier weights. Thanks for the idea!

I've bought a barbell off of CL for $20 before. Its well worth it to look on there and see what people are trying to unload.

Training with just a pair of dumbbells is pretty much a waste of your time. You can afford an internet connection. My guess is you eat out with some regularity. It's really all about where you choose to spend your money.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Stick
    I don't really see how training with just dumbbells is a waste of time. If anything I've read that they're better than barbells because of all independent stabilizer muscles involved that don't come in to play with a barbell. I know my body certainly doesn't feel like I've wasted my time after I work out and the next day.

And I post here from work. I don't have an internet connection at home, nor do I have cable. I choose to spend my money on things I need. A gym membership or barbells don't rate very high up there.

I agree with Chris. You just can't do a decent deadlift or squat with dumbbells, and that's the cornerstones of any good routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Training with just a pair of dumbbells is pretty much a waste of your time. You can afford an internet connection. My guess is you eat out with some regularity. It's really all about where you choose to spend your money.
    I disagree. If you want to be a serious lifter, or really want to build muscle; then yeah you're going to need the proper equipment to do so. However, to say that its a waste of time is the wrong, because anything is always better than nothing.

I don't pretend to know other's financial status, so if that's all you have and that's all you can do then I can understand that because I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallyBigs View Post
    I don't really see how training with just dumbbells is a waste of time. If anything I've read that they're better than barbells because of all independent stabilizer muscles involved that don't come in to play with a barbell. I know my body certainly doesn't feel like I've wasted my time after I work out and the next day.
    First, DBs are most certainly NOT better than a barbell. That's not to say they're not useful when it comes to training, because they can be, but you'll never generate the load with a DB that you can with a BB and that means you're limited.

I personally don't really use DBs, but I have coached others and had them use DBs. Different people and training styles call for different protocols.

Secondly, how you feel the next day or after means nothing really. I'm not trying to shoot down what you're doing by any means, but I'm trying to educate you so you know. Sore does not equate to an effective workout. You can hold you arms out to your sides for 20 minutes straight, and yeah, you'll be sore. But I believe you know that holding your arms out isn't going to build muscle. But if you're a rank beginner, which it sounds like you are, then what you're doing is going to provide you with results. And don't be afraid to toy with bodyweight exercises like dips, push ups and pull ups. There are multiple ways to add weight to you, in order to make progression. And I know you way more than a DB.

Regardless, your exercise selection isn't bad, but yes without a gym membership you are/will be handicapping yourself to an extent. But what you're able to do now is getting you up off your ass and has you exercising, so that's a step in the right direction.

Good luck with your training man. Stick to it, and upgrade to a gym or buy the proper equipment when you are able to.

Stick
    When I outgrow the dumbbells I'll find a way to upgrade. For the time being though, I still have a hard time lifting the weight I have. I'm figuring as long as I still can't max out my reps to what they should be, I gotta be building muscle. Once I can lift my heaviest dumbbells 10-12-whatever times for 3 sets, it'll be time to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallyBigs View Post
    When I outgrow the dumbbells I'll find a way to upgrade. For the time being though, I still have a hard time lifting the weight I have. I'm figuring as long as I still can't max out my reps to what they should be, I gotta be building muscle. Once I can lift my heaviest dumbbells 10-12-whatever times for 3 sets, it'll be time to upgrade.
    Then you're still going good. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, but don't worry because you won't always be stuck there. Keep working to get better and better and it will carry you a long way. Its amazing how fast you can increase your strength.
    Last edited by Mr Shadow; 11-15-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Stick
    Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Come the new year in January my annual company "perks" kick back in. They offer us up to $350 towards a gym membership to promote healthy workers or whatever. I'm definitely going to take them up on that offer this year.

You'll make it to a point to where you look back and ask yourself how did you ever struggle with such a weight.
    Last edited by Mr Shadow; 11-15-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Stick
    I can't wait. I'm PUMPED!

Honestly, if that is all I had to work with I would google CrossFit travel workouts and do those. You can do most of them with your dumbbells and a jump rope (I would add a chin up bar if possible). Hardly optimal but there are some really good workouts with minimal equipment and it could hold you over until you join a gym. You aren't going to be able to much of a typical routine with just some dumbbells so I wouldn't try to adapt a powerlifting routine to the lack of equipment you have.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Wait a second, first you said you choose to spend your money on things you need and equipment or a membership are not up there. You then say you will do it once you outgrow your dumbbells...

Which brings me back to my argument, if training is not pretty important in your life you won't keep it up and it is all for naught.

Wait a minute, how old are you Smally?
    Last edited by chris mason; 11-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Stick
    I guess all I'm saying is that for now I think the dumbbells are plenty for me. I really have to stress my muscles with them and I can't even achieve the suggested reps for most exercises with the dumbbells I have now. This leads me to believe that they're enough for me, for now, which makes upgrading a low priority. Hopefully sooner rather than later, the dumbbells won't be enough for me and then I'll make upgrading a priority. I posted above that come January I'm eligible for $350 towards a gym membership from my work, which I plan to take advantage of. Until then though, the dumbbells should be sufficient from what I've read.

I'm 24.
    Last edited by SmallyBigs; 11-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Just make sure that when you are able to join a gym, that you simplify. Get rid of 90% of the lifts your doing and run a beginner powerlifting program like Starting Strength or 5x5. Learn the motions of a proper deadlift, bench, squat and press, build your strength up, and then choose a routine that is geared towards your goals.

If I'm ever in NY and I see you doing these exercises in a gym, with all sorts of high volume nonsense lifts, when you have your best friend the barbell sitting in the corner of the gym... I'm gonna back hand you.

Stick
    Haha fair enough.