The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

4x10 pullups, way of progression

my routine states that I should do 4 sets 10 reps of weighted pullups.

for now my max is (only bodyweight): 9 reps, 7 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps

so should I wait and try to add reps each workout till I get all 10, 10, 10, 10 and then start to adding weight and get sth like 10, 9, 8, 7 and next time 10,10,10,8 etc. and up weight again when i reach 10,10,10,10

is that correct way of progression?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes. I would stick with bodyweight reps until you can get 4x10, then add weight.

Even better would be to work with your bodyweight, but do 10 reps. How are you going to do that?

Declines.

A decline is just the negative portion of the rep and are very beneficial to putting on strength. So after you finish your 9 first set, have a box underneath the chinup bar ready and jump up to the high point of the chinup and let yourself come down. Do this to fill out the other sets to a square 10, once you can do BW*10 for 4 sets, then you can start adding weight. You can even use this same system with weight.

See how it works for you, I know my chinups/pullups shot up with good controlled declines mixed in with the full rep
    21 | 6'1 | 180lbs
    Bench Press-165*7 | Squat-205*8 |Deadlift-205*5

------------------------------------------------

Check Out The SupRSmall Journal

Yes, hit 10-10-10-10

I usually try to hit 12-12-12-12 before I add weights, or add another set. How are your rest periods like in between sets?
    Last edited by ammocase; 11-16-2011 at 06:58 AM.

I'd suggest doing 3-5X5 of full range pullups, then progressing to L-seat pullups, wide-grip pullups, and L-seat wide-grip pullups.

Maybe you incorporate weighted pullups in that progression.

Remember, ALL THE WAY DOWN and ALL THE WAY UP. Don't cheat yourself by not doing the full range. Take the time to do them full and you will be rewarded down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slizzard...41/SVW7_-wnHbI

Quote Originally Posted by SupRsmall View Post
    Even better would be to work with your bodyweight, but do 10 reps. How are you going to do that?

Declines.

A decline is just the negative portion of the rep and are very beneficial to putting on strength. So after you finish your 9 first set, have a box underneath the chinup bar ready and jump up to the high point of the chinup and let yourself come down. Do this to fill out the other sets to a square 10, once you can do BW*10 for 4 sets, then you can start adding weight. You can even use this same system with weight.

See how it works for you, I know my chinups/pullups shot up with good controlled declines mixed in with the full rep
    No, a decline is where your head is below your waist (as in a decline bench press).

The term you are trying to use is a NEGATIVE. You are performing the negative, or eccentric portion of the ROM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

stick with your own bodyweight, if you add weight you might be tempted to swing and have improper form. technique is key