The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Questions on Band Set Up?

When a band is doubled up--like a doubled mini band does that mean that the ends are latched both at the base and then the middle of the band is over the bar where it would look like it has four lengths running over the top of the bar?

Then for the dynamic bench, do you typically double the mini as describe above or just choke the mini at the base or just put it at the base unchoked?

For the squat, I've typically see things choked online, and imagine it might be tough to double up with squat bands??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Right, doubled is the band folded in half and attached to the ends and the middle. For bench bands are usually doubled, yes. Right, doubling for squatting is not a good idea even if it could be done.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I double monster minis and light bands for squats on occasion. Why would that be bad?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

The bands will most likely tear from being over stretched if you try to double bands on squats. Use two bands on each side for this purpose. You could still double bands on deadlifts though, but it is tough to do it without a platform for it.
    Last edited by Murderous; 11-16-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I double monster minis and light bands for squats on occasion. Why would that be bad?
    Is that from down on the floor all the way up to the bar though?
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

ive seen double monster minis on squats. But Id be scared of them breaking. Better off using the bigger bands and choking them

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Is that from down on the floor all the way up to the bar though?
    Bottom of the rack so an inch or two off the ground.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

It's just not a good idea to double bands for squatting from the standpoint that it's going to wreck your bands much faster. You can get the same result using multiple sets of the bands used for squatting (average and strong bands) or choking the bands more than once around the bottom of the rack to shorten them a little.

rob, you have it correct on band setups

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Thanks all for clearing things up.

I'm only 5'6" and when I choke a light band when I squat, the tension is basically zero when I hit depth. I've put a knot in the bands and that seems to help. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

I suppose it depends on your setup. Do you have a picture?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post

I'm only 5'6" and when I choke a light band when I squat, the tension is basically zero when I hit depth. I've put a knot in the bands and that seems to help. Any other ideas?
    Not to be a smartass, but light bands are pretty much worthless for squatting.

I'll try to get a picture up this weekend of my setup.

For my relatively intermediate squat 1RM of 360, on dynamic day would it be better to use average bands then?

I'd rotate between choked average and light bands

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Dr. Subtotal

You need to make the base wider (i.e. choking the light band around two dumbbells instead of one, using extra 2x4s along the base of your squat rack, etc.) Without going into too much detail, F = k*x so the longer you're stretching the band, the more tension you'll see. There is a point where the band will snap though.

Provided is the long band calibrations sheet from Elite. I did the calculations a while back on the the snapping point of the bands as I was curious, I'll see if I can find them

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-calibrations/
    Last edited by BloodandThunder; 11-17-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Thanks for all the instantaneous feedback. I DE squats this morning with the Average bands and it worked out better than the light in that they provided tension in the bottom too.

I have a cheap rack from NY Barbells that has this band attachment at the base:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/bandholders.html

So I basically attach one end to the pin closet to the rack entrance, keep the band below the other 2 pins and then bring it up to the barbell. This seemed to work fine for the average band. Lt, no tension at the bottom.

Dr. Subtotal
    Thanks for all the instantaneous feedback. I DE squats this morning with the Average bands and it worked out better than the light in that they provided tension in the bottom too.

I have a cheap rack from NY Barbells that has this band attachment at the base:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/bandholders.html

So I basically attach one end to the pin closet to the rack entrance, keep the band below the other 2 pins and then bring it up to the barbell. This seemed to work fine for the average band. Lt, no tension at the bottom.
    Maybe I'm reading what you're saying wrong, but if you're trying to choke with that setup, you start by placing the band underneath 2 of those pins (unsure of the distance). You bring one end up(A) and place the other end (B) through that end. You then take end B and put it over the bar. No end of the band should be placed on a pin.

Doubling a band starts the same way except both ends are just placed on the bar.
    Last edited by BloodandThunder; 11-17-2011 at 01:08 PM.

What I described before was without choking the band, I'd just put one loose end on the farthest pin, let it go under the other pins and put the other end on the bar.

I tried choking it on one pin, but the bands are too long at my height to do that. But Choking under 2 is a good idea--almost making a mini triangle.

Dr. Subtotal
    Yea choking a light on one pin won't have much tension in the bottom. It's why most band tension manuals or descriptions will tell you to wrap it around a mono base with 2x4's or my suggestion of using two dumbbells. I'd also make sure the pins are welded into that pin base you have, otherwise they're going to deflect up with the bands which is dangerous (Hammer Strength racks are like this , I cringe everytime I see someone use bands on it).

Also, you want to make sure the anchor of the bands is located in line with the bar. Otherwise you're losing force in a non-normal bar path (ie the tension isn't just up and down). It also goes against the natural bar path of the movement you're doing. That's why doubling bands and choking bands are common and not the method you suggested of wrapping one end around the bar and one end on the opposite end pin. The bulk of the band should be as close to perpendicular to the ground as possible during the squat or bench.
    Last edited by BloodandThunder; 11-17-2011 at 02:19 PM.

choke it around a dumbbell on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    It's just not a good idea to double bands for squatting from the standpoint that it's going to wreck your bands much faster. You can get the same result using multiple sets of the bands used for squatting (average and strong bands) or choking the bands more than once around the bottom of the rack to shorten them a little.

rob, you have it correct on band setups
    Totally agree.
    Besides i use mini bands only for Bench press.