The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Who trains westside?

Who here trains westside? Who trains it AS written with 3 week waves, box squats all the time, shirts every 3 weeks....? If you do something different why?
    I know everyone trains differently but am interested in who does what and why. The basic template is a good place to start for a lot of people though

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I pretty much follow it as written. I do so because I know the guys at Westside and have seen what it can do for them, and now for me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I train WS 3x/week program. It's the standard 4x/week program, but the 4th day is pushed into the next week. So a typical 4 week block takes 5 weeks and 1 day. I need the extra day for recovery because I throw also.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I'm a raw lifter and I follow westside. I used to use gear but decided to work on my raw strength. It has done me good for raw as well. I mostly use board and bands.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I train Westside but I do 5 days instead of 4.

ME Lower
    DE Bench, Triceps
    Back, Shoulders, Biceps
    DE Lower
    Off
    ME upper
    Off
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I'm a (primarily) raw lifter and I use Westside. I don't follow it exactly as written but I've had great results using it.
    Meet PR's (raw):

Squat: 500
    Bench: 360
    Dead: 525

Ask me about Jersey Iron Training

I started out about a year ago with a bastardized Conjugate/Crossfit blend--mainly the ME and DE work with limited assistance work and conditioning. After going to a Westside Cert, I've gone to the full Westside Model with some but not as much conditioning work as before.

I like the variety and the focus on all the areas a lot of older programs do not. Focus on speed work, focus on weaknesses, focus on posterior chain and upper back.

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    I train WS 3x/week program. It's the standard 4x/week program, but the 4th day is pushed into the next week. So a typical 4 week block takes 5 weeks and 1 day. I need the extra day for recovery because I throw also.
    Exactly as I do it.
    I add 2 or 3 15 min restoration WO with bands every week.

I use the principles, follow it somewhat.

Long term I think nothing is better, people who do it will know what I mean by that.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I used it before for a while, but found that for my strength level that I can still get a lot of a linear style of programming and have had better gains using 5/3/1. If/when the linear stops working, I will go back to it. I also now have a greater understanding of the conjugate system and would be better off now. Now that I am at the levels where I have a weakness at a certain point, and not just being completely weak all over.
    Last edited by barryisawinnah; 11-19-2011 at 08:15 PM.

I just started doing it 2 weeks ago. For the ME lower day, I do regular squats, mostly because I haven't had a lot of experience doing box squats. I follow the ME and DE style for bench, but I do regular bench press, rather than floor press, board press, etc.

Ive trained a little differently for the past year but plan to go back to it and just trying to make it work better for me. THe two biggest problems I have are:

I dont feel like I get much out of 1 rm on ME day, and think doing more sets and reps with a heavy weight will work better for me. Louie called that the "method of heavy efforts" instead of ME but I think it makes me stronger. He always said do lifts that build rather than test, well a 1rm pretty much tests me regardless of what the lift its but doesnt build much.

Also louie says stuff like "once you know how to write your name, you can only learn to write it wrong" talking about not needing to do the competition lifts that frequently, wel I think im not experienced enough to get away with not practicing the lifts yet.

If anyone can offer advice that would be great. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingns View Post
    Ive trained a little differently for the past year but plan to go back to it and just trying to make it work better for me. THe two biggest problems I have are:

I dont feel like I get much out of 1 rm on ME day, and think doing more sets and reps with a heavy weight will work better for me. Louie called that the "method of heavy efforts" instead of ME but I think it makes me stronger. He always said do lifts that build rather than test, well a 1rm pretty much tests me regardless of what the lift its but doesnt build much.

Also louie says stuff like "once you know how to write your name, you can only learn to write it wrong" talking about not needing to do the competition lifts that frequently, wel I think im not experienced enough to get away with not practicing the lifts yet.

If anyone can offer advice that would be great. Thanks

far from an expert on westside, but I think Chris said (when he was on RX Power Hour last year) that for a raw lifter, he would probably have them put in the actual lifts into their cycle of ME stuff, so like once a month or whatever, working up to a new 1rm or trying to on the actual squat or bench.

Hope that helps, if not I am sure Chris can elaborate much better

I think what Barry said is good advice. I think the less experienced you are, the more you need to work on form to iron things out.

Another way to sneak in extra work with the core lifts is to do a 80% repetition set of the ME lift after maxing out. I think Mark Bell at Supertraining does this from time to time.

Finally, if you need extra work on a lift, you can sub in a repetition effort day once in a while instead of ME work. Or as part of your assistance work you can do a couple sets of the movement, just balance out your total volume.

Don't undervalue the importance of the assistance work. You should put ton of effort here. Here you should be working your "builders" hard. I almost find the ME work easier because its a couple of gut busting reps as opposed to several sets of higher rep effort.

I have trained WS for benching using various versions which probably means it's no longer WS. Sometimes my body can't handle benching twice a week so I have to do away with speed work. I think I can get away with it because I have about 27 years of under the bar experience. I will say for newer lifters I prefer WS for Skinny Bastards. It gets the lifter more volume. When giving seminars I see so many inexperienced lifters who are worried about ME. Meanwhile they are lacking adequate musculature from just plain old reps using the big three lifts.

Then I'll take a look at Travis Bell's stuff. He hits ME twice in one day for benching. Not exactly the template, but Travis is as WS as you get in my book.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I do for bench, but I found over the last little while my knees have been getting beat up any time I add speed work in. Currently set up:

Monday - DE Bench
    Wednesday - Heavy squat (work up in sets of 5, 3, or singles)
    Friday - ME Bench
    Saturday - ME Deadlift (no idea why some people can't deadlift heavy often, been doing this for a while making great improvements)
    Sunday - Upper back
    I'm weak now, but not for long

Dr. Subtotal
    I follow the principles and it depends on what type of meet I'm training for. I lift raw for now so I make sure to pick ME exercises that give me feedback on where my raw lifts are. Lots of GPP right after a meet and cycle volume and intensity properly for a meet cycle. Also become more lift specific as the meet nears.

As for raw training, I think it's crucial to focus on DE training. As a meet approaches, I tend to make my DE training very lift specific (comp stance squats, comp grip bench, sumo DL), then pick ME exercises based off those (comp grip Incline, 1brd, etc.) and use supplemental/assistance work in other lifts to raise work capacity and focus on imbalances and leverages.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Wannabebig Member
    Its how I train. Ive made great gains using it, especially in the squat. I dont change anything. I use the box, bands, chains, different bars. The only thing I mess with is, from time to time, Ill drop the percentages down just a bit, I always try to let speed rule the workout. If Im supposed to do 70% one day, but it feels heavy as shit, it isnt going to do me much good to keep it there,so Ill drop it down a bit. I dont know if this makes a fuck, but I do train raw, but gear is in my near future

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I have trained WS for benching using various versions which probably means it's no longer WS. Sometimes my body can't handle benching twice a week so I have to do away with speed work. I think I can get away with it because I have about 27 years of under the bar experience. I will say for newer lifters I prefer WS for Skinny Bastards. It gets the lifter more volume. When giving seminars I see so many inexperienced lifters who are worried about ME. Meanwhile they are lacking adequate musculature from just plain old reps using the big three lifts.

Then I'll take a look at Travis Bell's stuff. He hits ME twice in one day for benching. Not exactly the template, but Travis is as WS as you get in my book.

I started on WS4SB and it worked well, I just wish I would of thrown more deads and regular squats into the rotation, but at the time I was training for/playing football still (while in the Marines) and it definitely helped with speed and explosiveness.