The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Which CoC gripper can you close for 1 rm ?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trainer @ 100 lbs.

8 20.51%
  • #1 @ 140 lbs.

11 28.21%
  • #2 @ 195 lbs.

10 25.64%
  • #3 @ 280 lbs.

3 7.69%
  • #4 @ 365 lbs. (Only five men in the world have closed this)

7 17.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Captains of Crush gripper can you close ?

Don't know why I am starting this thread because I don't own a CoC gripper yet. Just waiting until I turn 18 for my credit card lol.

Can anyone here close the #3 ?
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 06-22-2006 at 12:09 PM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

#1 x 11 (right hand)

I haven't tried the CoCs- only the HGs... I'm guessing I'd probably either nail the #2 or be very close.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

The HG's and CoCs have different areas of tension, i wouldnt underestimate the CoCs

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    The HG's and CoCs have different areas of tension, i wouldnt underestimate the CoCs
    True. I can pretty handily rep the HG200 at this point and am less than a millimeter away from closing the 250. I would like to check out some CoCs before too long for comparison's sake- maybe somebody with both can chime in and give us some approximations?

Also- I know that one of the other big differences (aside from where the tension to close is measured) is that the CoCs have slightly wider spacing- while this may present problems for some people, I have pretty enormous hands and I always make sure to start with the gripper all the way open.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 06-22-2006 at 12:44 PM.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

maybe i can now close my #3 as ive just got chalk, maybe not though, ill find out soon

i was asked to do the 14 reps i got on the hg300 the other week on video, an even though my grip was not full power due to heavy training (forearms were still aching) i rep'd out anyway / i got 23 reps an could have done more - obviously the chalk made a big difference

i was 4mm off closing my #3 ccs last time i tried, now with the chalk it may go all the way, we'll see - also my #3 may be a hard one, as its so much harder than the #2

my best number of reps on the #2 is 27 ccs, although now with chalk it will probably be 30-35 at a guess, who knows

Let's not guesstimate on this people - you have either closed the CoC or you have not...

I can close the #1 with no problem. I've never been anywhere close with the #2.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

#1x10, no where close on #2. I have the HGs too, but they're at work, so I can't do a side-by-side right now.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

hah 2 people actually voted for #4.

Crap, I was actually aiming to train to close the number 1 and eventually #2. That means if sensei and mix can't close the #2.... crap I might as well forget about training for #2.

...Unless I gain 50 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Crap, I was actually aiming to train to close the number 1 and eventually #2. That means if sensei and mix can't close the #2.... crap I might as well forget about training for #2.

...Unless I gain 50 lbs.
    I wouldn't say that at all! I don't know about Mix, but I've never trained grip consistently - just putzed around with it enough to buy the trainer, #1, and #2.
    If you decent sized hands and discipline yourself enough to train for it, I don't see any reason at all that you couldn't close the #2 - trust me, if you saw some of the guys that have closed the #3, you'd be surprised at how many scrawny guys there are!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Awesome. I know there are different types of grip strength (like support, crush, pinch, etc.) but I wonder how training with the CoC would affect my Deadlifts.

I wonder how much force it would take to crush an apple? Or incomparable to what CoC # would you must be able to close in order to crush an apple.

I can close #2 a few times, it has never translated to much in the gym.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I can close the number 4!
    haha i am Svend Karlson. I have fooled you all this time! MWAhahahahahaha!...

But realy..... I have never tried the CoC's. Theres a lot of strong grip on this thread!
    Im pretty damn certain i could close the #1 But we'll just have to wait and see.... 140lbs of pressure.. damn lol. The #2, 195lb of pressure seems like a bloody hard task!! 3 and 4 just seriously take the piss. But I will close them both one day! at least the #3

Just look at Tommy Heslep! Official closer of the #4 CoC! Amazing grip strength videos!

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album87
    http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/albun02

Im just wondering when the #5 will be out! hehe.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-24-2006 at 03:21 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Awesome. I know there are different types of grip strength (like support, crush, pinch, etc.) but I wonder how training with the CoC would affect my Deadlifts.

If you grip fails before a pull, then the CoCs would help. My grip has been okay relatively untrained thus far, but I'm nearing a point where I need more forearm strength.

I wonder how much force it would take to crush an apple? Or incomparable to what CoC # would you must be able to close in order to crush an apple.
    Won't help much, different type of grip strength.

And apples aren't too difficult once you get a good strong grip. Raw potatoes, now that's the kicker John Brookfield's the only guy I know who can do that. Brookfield can also toss an apple in the air and squash it with his hand right in the air.

I can rep out with the #2 but can't close the #3 yet, got about an inch or so to go. I can cheat close it, but that doesn't count

A couple of years ago when I went to the AOBS dinner I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Sorin. Anyone who knows grip strength knows him. I also saw someone who has no experience with the grippers close the #3 and this was witnessed and encouraged by Randall Strossen himself.

I have no idea what I can do as I have never tried them.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm ordering the #1 in a couple of weeks. Trainer both hands, 2x8.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Are you certified yet? I'm a skeptical person and the #3 is a pretty tough mofo, so unless someone's certified I tend not to believe them. No offense.

Da Big Bad Grip Punk Sybersnott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    Are you certified yet? I'm a skeptical person and the #3 is a pretty tough mofo, so unless someone's certified I tend not to believe them. No offense.
    Well, I am certified... go to the IronMind website and go to the Captain Of Crush Who's Who and you'll see my name on the 2002 list, 2nd one down under Mike Sanderson. My name is John Hicks.

The new rules and the new #3's coming out make it very difficult for someone to certify under IronMind's conditions now. I think so far this year only 3 guys have certified for 2006.
    certified IRONMIND Captain Of Crush
    certified GRIPBOARD Mash Monster - Level 1
    certified Heavy Grips GRIPPER KING - October 2005
    1st person to complete the Emerson Challenge

"#4 @ 365 lbs. (Only five men in the world have closed this)"

And wow, 4 of the 5 have voted in this poll. That's amazing.

I've never tried them but I'm going to order the #1 soon.

Having bought the trainer and #1 yesterday. I can close them both.

Can close the trainer for loads of reps and the #1 with my right hand and almost with my left.

Ill just work my way up to about 10 or 12 reps on the #1 and then purchase the #2. My goal is to get #3 (onto the ironmind grippers board)
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 09-06-2006 at 01:41 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by Sybersnott
    Well, I am certified... go to the IronMind website and go to the Captain Of Crush Who's Who and you'll see my name on the 2002 list, 2nd one down under Mike Sanderson. My name is John Hicks.

The new rules and the new #3's coming out make it very difficult for someone to certify under IronMind's conditions now. I think so far this year only 3 guys have certified for 2006.
    You posted on BruteStrength a couple times, I recognize the handle.

I have heard they are getting tougher on the rules. I want to make sure I can close that #3 legitimately before I try.
    Last edited by Dinosaur; 09-06-2006 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I wouldn't say that at all! I don't know about Mix, but I've never trained grip consistently - just putzed around with it enough to buy the trainer, #1, and #2.
    If you decent sized hands and discipline yourself enough to train for it, I don't see any reason at all that you couldn't close the #2 - trust me, if you saw some of the guys that have closed the #3, you'd be surprised at how many scrawny guys there are!
    I should respond to this:
    Like Sensei, have never worked grippers consistently. My static grip strength was (once upon a time) excellent from climbing and lifting. There was quite a big of carry over between these two thing. Never had grip issues holding onto a bar compared to my other weaknesses.

But I have never been good at crushing grip. It really is different. And I need to train it! I have grippers sitting at my desk at work, and on my coffee table, so I have no excuse.

Goodwin: I know that it's quite expensive for you to get grippers, but I recommend getting the Sport or Guide and the #2. The lighter grippers are excellent for warming up, which I think is important for hand health.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John