Thread: Bulking while Cutting: unnecessary?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Cutting while Bulking: unnecessary?

I've made massive progress since I started training at the gym at the end of June this year: 19.2 bs muscle gain and 17.5 lbs fat loss. (I was skinny-fat) I've gone from 30.5% lean muscle mass and 28.4% bodyfat to 45% lean muscle and to 14% bodyfat.

So in the past four-plus months my body has undergone a radical composition shift. The muscle gains and fat loss were really dramatic at first and now my body seems to have settled in to a 1-2 lbs muscle gain per month with my bodyfat fluctuating within a small range.

I've been keeping my bodyfat between 13-14% and would like to go lower but wonder
    if trying to drop bf while gaining lean muscle mass at this point is just going to hamper my muscle growth. Should I focus solely on my protein and caloric intake and keep cardio to a minimum for right now, or is it possible to maintain my current bf or even drop it while still steadily gaining muscle mass?
    Last edited by prehistoric; 11-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.

In my opinion, once that low BF% it needs to be one or the other. someone with a higher BF%, less experience could make newb gains while cutting fat, but eventually would come to an end and the decision would have to be made for one goal or the other. No hurt in trying it to see how you'd react, but be prepared to make the ultimate decision for one goal.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Mark. My goal is absolutely mass gains; I can always cut later. I have no plans to do the whole fullhouse routine; I hope that I can at least maintain my current bf % while bulking - is that a reasonable goal? Once I feel I'm at the place I want to be in muscle gains then I can start working at dropping the bodyfat to around 10% at least. But I really don't want to be making massive bodyfat gains while muscle bulking, so are there any tips for maintaining a reasonable bodyfat level while still gaining goodly amounts of lean muscle mass?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by prehistoric View Post
    I hope that I can at least maintain my current bf % while bulking - is that a reasonable goal?
    Generally if what you're doing is considered bulking you're gaining some fat.

I honestly think you should cut down to 10%. It wouldn't take you that long from 14 and then you'd have a really good baseline. You'd know exactly when you've bulked far enough before you start your next cut.

If you decide to bulk now give yourself some really clear poundage goals and do a short bulk.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I honestly think you should cut down to 10%. It wouldn't take you that long from 14 and then you'd have a really good baseline. You'd know exactly when you've bulked far enough before you start your next cut.
    Sounds like a plan. Question then is what I should change from my regular routine to accomplish this.
    My current routine:
    Weightlifting: 5 day split (chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs... haven't added abs in), 2 weeks of 12 reps x 3 sets, 3rd week go heavy for 6 reps x 3 sets, repeat with higher weights for next 3 week cycle.
    Cardio: A lot of outdoor biking over the summer, not really an option now that winter snow and -20 C temps have set in. The only cardio I did at the gym was a once or twice weekly session with the freestanding bag, practicing kicks and punches, up to an hour's worth.
    Diet: Was concerned more with caloric/protein/carb intake. I have a generally healthy diet - I barely eat dessert or junk food anyway. Mostly lots of pasta, lasagna, pizza, brown rice, chicken, sandwiches, stirfries, eggs, waffles, oatmeal, and of course protein shakes.

What would be recommended to take out, add in, or leave the same in respects to all the above to get down to 10%?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by prehistoric View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Question then is what I should change from my regular routine to accomplish this.
    My current routine:
    Weightlifting: 5 day split (chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs... haven't added abs in), 2 weeks of 12 reps x 3 sets, 3rd week go heavy for 6 reps x 3 sets, repeat with higher weights for next 3 week cycle.
    Cardio: A lot of outdoor biking over the summer, not really an option now that winter snow and -20 C temps have set in. The only cardio I did at the gym was a once or twice weekly session with the freestanding bag, practicing kicks and punches, up to an hour's worth.
    Diet: Was concerned more with caloric/protein/carb intake. I have a generally healthy diet - I barely eat dessert or junk food anyway. Mostly lots of pasta, lasagna, pizza, brown rice, chicken, sandwiches, stirfries, eggs, waffles, oatmeal, and of course protein shakes.

What would be recommended to take out, add in, or leave the same in respects to all the above to get down to 10%?
    Diet:

1) Determine maintenance calorie intake
    2) Eat 500 cals below maintenance (this would be the cutting intake)

Training:

1) Choose an established routine OR post your routine in the Training forum

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------