The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jed2009 View Post
    Dude!!! I'm good bro, how the hell have you been? I'm back for a while again at WBB. We're trying to get the old crew back, Keph just came back yesterday. I'm trying to get some strength back after recovering from elbow surgery and I'm working on my cardio. What are you focusing on these days? Looks like full PL. A 700 squat? Holy Moses you are the man. Nice to still see you here brother.
    Im good Jedley. Just been training hard, working hard. You know. Hope your elbow is recovering. Was it an injury? Im a full bore multi-ply gear whore so my numbers really arent very impressive, relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    Nice work, hope you hit some big numbers.
    Thanks Nick, me too .

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Justin - jeez, talk about strength gains since i posted in here last!! good luck at the meet man. set some good numbers so i can chase them myself!
    Cheers Rob. Really, it has been a while then lol. I couldnt maintain my training on the CBL so I bought Shely Starnes' Lean Gain Protocol. Very straight forward carb cycling and I friggin' love it. Easy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Good war story and huge DB shoulder pressing bro!!
    Cheers big Nick. More like a story of stupidity lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jed2009 View Post
    Wow, look who's back. You back for good?
    I fully expect Keith to start posting again at this rate.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Ha ha all good, moving them weights for sure!!

But yeah please be careful lol.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Hey man they are still heavy and big numbers, and you're not a fatazz, so I'm still impressed. How are the kids?? My sis had a newborn and they are amazing to watch grow, truly a blessing. The elbow was bothering me for years and still does after the surgery. MRI showed loose bodies (chunks of cartlige/bone) in the joint so that was a simple surgery to clean it out but didn't solve my problem. Gonna have to live with it I'm figgerin.
    21 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 213
    Current PR's - Deadlift 319 | Full Chins 34 | 1 Mile - 7:20 | 1.5 mile - 11:55 (Tread)| 2 mile - 17:55
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    Journal...

Good luck, bro! Just read through some of the journal. You've been workin hard and getting fucking strong! Hope you do well and hit your lifts. I have a tattoo on the top of each trap. They are Celtic runes. One is "Uruz" and the other is "Algiz". They represent Strength and Protection. It's all one can really hope for on a huge lift. SFW, bro!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Damn dude, Ive been a little MIA lately. You should be on the platform right now, so im sending you good vibes and all the strength possible to kill it there today. Wishing you the best of luck pal. Look forward to seeing some nice numbers.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Been about 10 days, bro. How'd the meet go? Hope everything is alright.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

^^This! How'd you go?
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

How you doing?

Hope all is well big fella!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Thanks for checking in guys. Unfortunately, I bombed at the meet. The judging was particularly strict and I couldnt adapt. I was at the bottom of my 2nd and 3rd squat attempts for what seemed like forever with the straps slackened right off. Nose bleeding and seeing stars. Awful. I believe nearly half of the flight bombed. Really tough. It wont happen again. Everyone was telling me I needed more weight on the bar but I didnt have the balls.

I was really low after the meet. Hotels, flights, hire car, missing my little boys first day of school, all just seemed like such a massive waste. Two of my training partners stopped training (one was injured and one just lost interest) mid prep and I was kind of stuck for squatting. I did what I could each week though I had a really bad feeling about it and it all came true lol. Its a shame because I was going really well following Tones program.

I have been back training now for two weeks. Im just training raw until December and getting my bodyweight up to as close to 260lbs as possible. I will then begin a 16 week prep for the South East Qualifier in April.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Squat / Deadlift - Friday 24th Sep

*hip mobility
    *static stretching

Squat
    Barx?
    132x10
    220x10
    308x3
    352x5 (x2)

Deadlift
    154x5
    264x3
    374x3
    484x1
    561x2

Decline Abs
    4x12

Notes: I havent squatted raw in forever so I am just ramping it up very slowly. I have the worlds tightest hamstrings/hips/lowerback and this is something that I am addressing daily.

Upper Back - 22nd Sep

*med ball rolling
    *static stretching
    *hip mobility/traction
    *shoulder mobility/traction

CS DB Rows
    40sx15
    50sx12 (x4)

Low Rows (V Handle)
    4x10

Single Arm Lat Pulldown
    3x10 each side

BB Shrugs
    264x20
    352x10
    stopped, shoulder didnt like these at all.

EZ Bar Preacher Curls
    4x10

VBar Tri Pressdowns
    3x20

Notes: I injured my shoulder due to a misload two bench sessions ago. I took it easy this day because of it. Its unlikely that I will bench this wednesday as I rushed back to bench last Wed and put my shoulder back to square one. Although I did hit an easy 358 single. Again, just ramping up slowly and seeing how far I get.

Plan of attack for now.....

Mon - Lower Accessory
    Wed - Bench & all pressing accessory
    Fri - Squat / Deadlift
    Sat - Upper Back

Sorry to hear that Justin. Ive been there and its horrible. It will only give you fire to come back and kill it the next time around. PS - i have the worlds tightest hips and lower back, i cant even parallel squat with a bare bar on my back, LOL.
    2000 or bust

Everyone has a setback of sorts man, wish you the best moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    Sorry to hear that Justin. Ive been there and its horrible. It will only give you fire to come back and kill it the next time around. PS - i have the worlds tightest hips and lower back, i cant even parallel squat with a bare bar on my back, LOL.
    Cheers Rob. Thats true.Im am more hungry than ever now. I wish it didnt take failure to make me realise what really needs done though. Nah, I cant get down without some weight. Not good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Everyone has a setback of sorts man, wish you the best moving forward.
    Of course. Im back at it 100%. Thanks Terry.

Lower Accessory - 25/09/12

*lower back traction w/ strong band
    *hip mobility drill
    *static stretch
    *dislocates

Wide Stance Arched Back GMs
    Barx?
    154x10
    220x10 (x4)

Rack Pulls
    from knee
    308x10 (x3)

Leg Press
    ~10 plts
    3x10

Kneeling Pulldown Abs
    4x12

Leg Ext / Lying Leg Curls
    2x15 each

Notes: I got horrendous lower back pump from the GMs. Fuck its annoying. The rack pulls were very light. Im not sure if I will work down the heights and keep them as speed pulls which they were today or ramp the weight up and go from that height which is my sticking point. I will see how I feel on Friday as to whether or not its worth going heavier.

Tough break on the meet, bro. Do you think your openers are just too high and need adjusting to play it safe next time or what? It's tough cause then your second and third lifts might be too big a jump. Looks like you're back to moving small buildings with your workouts though. Where does your shoulder hurt on shrugs?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Welcome back buddy.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Sounds like a tough tough meet bro. Hope you can take something out of it and use it to help in the prep for the furture man. Good luck with the weight gain. Good to have you back logging bro
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Tough break on the meet, bro. Do you think your openers are just too high and need adjusting to play it safe next time or what? It's tough cause then your second and third lifts might be too big a jump. Looks like you're back to moving small buildings with your workouts though. Where does your shoulder hurt on shrugs?
    Cheers Keph. If anything my opener was too light. I dropped it by 20lbs on the day just to be safe. I was sat in the hole for a long time and went nowhere with it. My mobility let me down badly and I have been addressing that ever since. Rolling, stretching and more rolling every day. When I tried to squeeze back in my suit I just pitched forward and came up awkwardly on my 2nd attempt. The 1st and last I came up like a rocket and I was being called. I think to be fair though, I was called up because I was simply going nowhere. A big issue with this too is that the judges have a hell of a long time to see where you are when you sit in the hole for so long. If I had of hit the same depth with speed then it may well have been a different story. So many people were telling me the squats looked good but yet once the word spread that the judges were looking for depth well below, I felt a sort of despair. Again another aspect of competeing that needs to be overcome. 2 bombs out of 6 meets so far

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Welcome back buddy.
    Thanks Mr Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Sounds like a tough tough meet bro. Hope you can take something out of it and use it to help in the prep for the furture man. Good luck with the weight gain. Good to have you back logging bro
    For sure Hayden. Thanks a lot mate.

HEAVY Bench - 26/09/12

*band stretching
    *hip mobilty
    *dilocates

Bench
    Barx?
    88x10
    132x10

Flat DB Press
    40sx10 (x3)

DB Side laterals
    3x12

Tri Pressdowns / Facepulls
    3x20 each

Notes: Oh yeah, take it in. It aint easy throwin these kind of weights around.

Actually, I managed to do what I should have done last week and babied my shoulder properly. I think it would have been at least 90% again by now. Ah well, hopefully Im able to handle something significant next week.

Squat / Deadlift - 28th Sept

*long warm up before anyone else arrived including
    *broom handle squats ultra wide / med stance
    *BW walking lunges
    *static stretching
    *dislocates
    *broom handle GMs
    *hip mobility drill

Parallel Box Squat
    w/ 3'' foam
    long pause on box

Barx?
    Bar+132lb chains x5
    132+132lb chains x3
    220+132lb chains x3
    308+132lb chains x3 (x5)

Conv Deadlift
    w/ quaded minis
    154x5
    264x3
    352x2
    440x1
    352x2 (x3)

Notes: That was it. Still training around my shoulder in terms of heavy weights though much less limited with squats and deadlifts. Anyone know how much tension is in quaded minis?

Here is a vid of the set up. This is with 352 bar weight.

Video

Good stuff in here mate. Sorry to hear the meet went awry. Take it as it is though and hit the next one harder! Keep busting it in here dude. Take care of those injuries.
    21 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 213
    Current PR's - Deadlift 319 | Full Chins 34 | 1 Mile - 7:20 | 1.5 mile - 11:55 (Tread)| 2 mile - 17:55
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    Journal...

Pulls looked good!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

The shoulder is strengthening though even though your training round it?
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal