Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Bombdog Mortimer

The Legend of Bombdog Mortimer

So I am just getting things going again after competing in GPC Worlds last friday. I cut weight to make the 220s and ended up bombing. I dropped my openers as I knew I didnt feel right even though I got my weight back up to around 238lbs. My first squat was high and then the next two attempts got in front of me coming out of the hole. No excuses. I just wasnt strong enough. I decided to lift on until I heard a crack and pop from my shoulders followed by shooting pains down both arms when warming up raw on the bench. Game over. Sat with ice on both shoulders feeling miserable with myself. I imagine that my joints were completely dehydrated after the cut.

Tough lesson learnt the hard way. Hopefully however, it is going to be the best thing that happened to me.

Here is my first squat. I jumped the up command and made a meal of it. Again being honest, it felt like a truck. I screwed the pooch.

Video

One of my training partners cut weight to the 165s. He also bombed being unable to lock out his opening bench. 506lbs, a weight that he can usually do in his sleep. His gear was hanging on him. In a crazy turn of events he downed about 6 litres of water and packed away as much food as he could. Ran upstairs to weigh ins and weighed in at 182.16lbs and entered the open 198s lifting the next day......where he placed 2nd with a 1848 total @ an actual BW of 179. EPIC!!!

Anyhoo, I was back in the gym on Tuesday to get things on the move again. My next comp is on the 14th April. ~16 weeks which aint that far.

Last few sessions.........

kept things very gentle

Tues 22nd Nov
    Squat
    briefs
    worked up to
    484x3

Leg Press
    4x10

45* Back Raises
    4x10

Standing Pulldown Abs
    4x15

Thurs 24th Nov

Bench
    220x3
    220x10

Stopped as I could feel the pain in both shoulders but pleased I could even handle this weight.

Inc DB
    45sx15 (x3) almost theraputic more than anything

Ghetto TBars
    4x10

CSR
    4x10 (2 close handles / 2 wide)

Single tri Pressdowns
    3x15 each

EZ Bar Curls
    3x10

Sat 26th Nov

Deadlift
    triples up to
    484x3 beltless

Wide GMs
    4x5

HS Lat Pulldowns
    4x10

Leg Ext
    3x20

Seated Leg Curl
    3x20

Weighted Decline Abs
    4x10

As I said, I took things very easy. I had planned not to do the main lifts and just hit accessory stuff each day but where is the fun in that. No squats or deadlifts? C'mon....

I have been eating clean through the week hitting 4500 cals daily. This Friday and Saturday I have just eaten everything and anything. Went for dinner with my wife last night. I had a steak topped with lightly battered jalapenos, garlic and herb fries and a cheese, chilli and tequila sauce. It was unreal. I could do it again right now. I want to pack on some mass right now which is just as well with xmas coming up. I have noted how much better I feel during the week when eating quality calories. Loads of chicken, pollock, sweet potatoes, spinach, rice, egg whites, oats, cottage cheese etc. The usual bland stuff. I have also had to eat a lot of peanut butter which is no bad thing

Look, no squats or deadlifts effects your spelling too. Thats too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by -JM-; 02-27-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Sorry to hear about the meet, but you will bounce back.

Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the meet, but you will bounce back.
    Thanks Nick. Yeah, hopefully turn things around in a big way.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

30th Nov 2011

Squat

*Matt Rhodes' hip mobilty/warm up - This is fantastic. Highly recommend.

Squat
    old & loose briefs
    bar
    132x5
    220x3
    308x3
    396x3
    484x2
    506x2

45* Back Raises
    bwx15
    +33lbx15 (x3)

Leg Press
    4x10

Kneeling Pulldown Abs
    4x15

Notes: Still taking it easy and had a definite reduction in shoulder pain. Good sign. I just need to go easy on them for another little while before getting back in the shirt after xmas.

Ahh found you. New cycle, new log..got it. Good lessons learned with the meet. Part of growing in the sport for sure. But there is no doubt you will bounce back stronger and better then ever. Hopefully the shoulder wont cause you too much problem and heal quick.
    As for the SDP sizing, i believe i took my shoulder size and dropped down a size. Im wearing a 48. Thats what i think most of us did since there is some stretch to them. Im going to remeasure myself and make sure. I knlw we didnt go by their recomendations though.
    Last edited by Brian C; 12-01-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Ahh found you. New cycle, new log..got it. Good lessons learned with the meet. Part of growing in the sport for sure. But there is no doubt you will bounce back stronger and better then ever. Hopefully the shoulder wont cause you too much problem and heal quick.
    As for the SDP sizing, i believe i took my shoulder size and dropped down a size. Im wearing a 48. Thats what i think most of us did since there is some stretch to them. Im going to remeasure myself and make sure. I knlw we didnt go by their recomendations though.
    Hey BC,

Yeah, more focused than ever now. The shoulders are coming along ok. Handling slightly more weight each week. No need to push things at the moment.

Know what I went and did?.......Ordered a Jack shirt. Its in the post.

My training partner and I were so unsure with the SDP sizing that he decided to send his measurements to Rudy for a double overkill with triple sleeves. I loved everything about the Ace except the last half inch. I have heard that the Jack is easier to work than the Ace so I went with it. Cheaper too, which is always a bonus. Thats the last piece of kit I am buying for a while. House of pain stuff also goes through customs here which adds a lot onto the cost. Cant wait to get back in the kit after xmas.

1st Dec - Bench Training

Bench
    worked up to
    264x5 (x2)

*easy but the twinges in my shoulders were there so I stopped while ahead. Still, 44lbs more than last week and felt better than then too.

Inc DB press
    palms in
    3x20

WG Tbars
    4x10

Low Rows
    to belly
    4x10

Rope Tri Pressdowns
    4x15

BB Curls
    3x10

Notes: Shirt splitting pumps. Not quite but I pushed a little.

So here you are!!! Sorry to hear about the meet bro, but it's a lesson learned and time to get better and stronger for the next one.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Best of luck going into the next phase Justin.

Thats cool you went with the Jack shirt. Im really looking forward to see how it works for you. The SDP ran me $400 US, pretty expensive for one piece. Im really digging all the Jack gear. If the canvas fails me this time around, Im returning it and going Jack too!
    Nice steady work coming back so far. You'll be back full in no time.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    So here you are!!! Sorry to hear about the meet bro, but it's a lesson learned and time to get better and stronger for the next one.
    Thanks Hopp. Time to get bigger, better and stronger. That is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Best of luck going into the next phase Justin.
    Thanks a lot Terry

Thats cool you went with the Jack shirt. Im really looking forward to see how it works for you. The SDP ran me $400 US, pretty expensive for one piece. Im really digging all the Jack gear. If the canvas fails me this time around, Im returning it and going Jack too!
    Nice steady work coming back so far. You'll be back full in no time.
    Holy shit, thats a lot of cash and thats only domestic shipping. Wow!
    You could go for the jack briefs under your canvas, I remember you mentioning that. It would be seriously tight as the jack stuff is very thick.
    Cheers Brian.

Deadlift Training - 6th Dec

*med ball rolling
    *static stretching

Conv Deadlift
    132x5 (x2)
    220x5
    308x3
    396x2
    belt
    484x2
    528x2
    572x1

WS Arched back GMs
    132x10 (x3)

Leg Ext / Leg Curl
    3x20 each

VBar Pulldowns
    3x10

BB Shrugs
    3x20

Pulldown Abs
    4x15

Notes: I am going to make my accessory work more meaningful. I have been guilty of just coasting through it far too often. I always put everything into the main lifts, no problem there but avoiding any difficulty and discomfort (as I have been) during the lifts that follow isnt going to achieve much. Time to step things up.

Strong pulls!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Great pulling Justin. Im guilty too with accessories. Time to make things work.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Glad to see you take that approach, the minor lifts do help complete the overall picture.

Those deads are huge, no doubt there is more where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Strong pulls!!!
    Thanks Brian.

Great pulling Justin. Im guilty too with accessories. Time to make things work.
    Time to nut up and take care of business on all fronts. Mobility and conditioning included

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Glad to see you take that approach, the minor lifts do help complete the overall picture.

Those deads are huge, no doubt there is more where that came from.
    Thanks Terry. Looking back, its an area that needs a lot of work. Easy one.

Bench - 9th Dec

*mini band dislocates/pull aparts/tri ext
    *static stretching
    *med ball rolling

Bench
    barxsome
    132x10
    176x5
    220x3
    264x3
    308x3

Stopped benching here. Great that I got 300+ back in my hands but my shoulders were pinching like hell. Especially the right. Not ready yet.

Low Rows
    to belly
    3x8 heavyish

HS Pulldown
    3x10

face Pulls
    3x15

V bar Tri Pressdowns
    +mini band
    3x15

Notes; Shoulders are still smoked. Thought they were coming good but this just felt plain painful.

Squat - 11th Dec

*foam roll
    *dislocates
    *static stretch

Squat
    old & loose briefs
    132x10
    220x3
    308x3
    396x3
    belt
    440x3
    484x1
    506x1

Leg Press
    ~600lbs
    4x10

45* Back raise
    +33lbs
    4x10

Decline Abs
    +33lbs
    4x10

Notes: Looking forward to getting stuck back in after xmas. Hard to get motivated today when just coasting like this. Plus these sessions are in a commercial gym. Complete bullshit.

Nice work bro!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

[QUOTE=-JM-;2523279Notes: Looking forward to getting stuck back in after xmas. Hard to get motivated today when just coasting like this. Plus these sessions are in a commercial gym. Complete bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree with you more. I just want to get the dam holidays over and get back to training right. Squatting solo in a commercial gym is teh suck. Im just miserable when im there..
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Nice work, everything looks strong.

No joke about the setting, serious lifters need the right atmosphere in order to elevate.

Those sessions are ace just the same, make no mistake.

Nice work bro!!!
    Couldnt agree with you more. I just want to get the dam holidays over and get back to training right. Squatting solo in a commercial gym is teh suck. Im just miserable when im there..
    Nice work, everything looks strong.
    No joke about the setting, serious lifters need the right atmosphere in order to elevate.

Those sessions are ace just the same, make no mistake.
    Thanks a lot guys...

Squat / Deadlift - 16th December

Squat
    loose briefs
    132x5
    220x5
    308x5
    belt
    396x3
    462x2
    506x2

Conv Deadlift
    132x5
    220x3
    308x3
    396x3
    belt
    484x1
    506x4

Weighted Decline Abs
    4x10 w/33lbs

Foam Roll
    20mins

Notes: I be platin'...

Upper Accessory - 17th December

CGBP
    worked up to
    286x5 & stopped

DB Shoulder Press
    70sx10 x3

Dips
    50 over 3 sets

Low Row to Belly
    4x10

BB Shrugs
    3x20

Rear Delt Cables
    3x10

Front Plate raise
    3x15

Notes: Shoulders in bad shape. Especially the right.
    Last edited by -JM-; 12-19-2011 at 07:07 AM.