The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    At his height 230lb or close, sound right Justin?
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Strong squatting! Tension must've been high at the top?
    Cheers Hayden. It was tough enough with the standouts.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Great SQUAAAAAAAT!
    LOL, cheers Doc!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Killing it buddy, great work!
    Thanks a lot dude..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Nice work Justin!
    Cheers Hopp..

Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Great squat. Any idea what the bands add at the top?
    At his height 230lb or close, sound right Justin?
    Cheers Luna. Yeah Nick I think thats about right. I was going out of rack height 15.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Bench Accessory - 5th Feb

*deep heat
    *band dislocates
    *static stretching

CG Bench Press
    Barx?
    132x10
    220x5
    264x1
    sling shot
    308x6
    352x3
    374x3
    407x3

Dips
    BWx10
    +44x10
    +88x5
    +88x5
    +88x10

T Bar Rows
    (side on & single handed)
    2patesx10 (x4 each side)

V Bar Rows
    (heavy, to belly)

BB Shrugs
    308x20,20,15,15

BB Curls
    (w/ fat gripz)
    3x10
    super setted with
    V Bar Tri Pressdowns
    3x20

Notes: Tendonitis creeping back into right elbow. Wondered where it had been...

PWO .....Steak, cubed & roasted sweet potatoes, sour cream & large caesar salad followed by Butterscotch Angel Delight made with 2 scoops of choc muscle milk. I didnt want it to end.
    Last edited by -JM-; 02-06-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Fine upper day bro!!

Take care of that elbow, maybe low volume next session so it does not come back and ruin your pressing which is going very well.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Fine upper day bro!!

Take care of that elbow, maybe low volume next session so it does not come back and ruin your pressing which is going very well.
    Thanks a lot man. I am putting it down to the squatting the night before. Things were just feeling funky all night. Something wasnt right...

Like that Accessory day! Like the PWO even better! Holy crap that sounds good!!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Squat/Deadlift Accessory - 6th Feb

*deep heat

Block Pulls
    (from knee cap)
    154x10
    264x5
    374x5
    484x3
    594x3
    660x3
    660x2

SLDL
    (straps/ DOH)
    308x10 (x3)

Standing Pulldown Abs
    4x10

Leg Ext
    4x10

Notes: Last minute change of plan. Pulls from floor will now be done after squats at Sam's Gym on Friday nights. Some BS about structural integrity in the gym we usually pull at on a Monday. Not sure if they are getting it sorted or if can even be fixed. They probably just dont like us

Had planned to do 660 for a 3x3 but my callouses partially tore on my left hand during the first triple so I just shut it down after the second when I missed the last rep as my grip gave out. If I had have really hauled back the bar would have gone....weaksauce.

BW in shorts and Tshirt was 246 on Friday night. Nearly at my target range for training weight.

last set..
    Video

Like that Accessory day! Like the PWO even better! Holy crap that sounds good!!
    Knew you would appreciate that Brian.. I dont think you get Angel Delight in the states. Its a powder that you add milk to and whip it up. So good but super sickening...

I am sure you have something similar

Sessions are superb on all levels!!

That desert sounds awesome!! Top pulling as well.

Gyms are funny trying to stop people lifting big weight, isn't that the point of lifting weights? To lift more?
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

LuNa

Gyms are funny trying to stop people lifting big weight, isn't that the point of lifting weights? To lift more?
    I cant believe how hard it is to find a gym where you are actually allowed to lift heavy/hard.

That PWO meal sounds sooo good. Your journal is making it very hard not to think of food with that description and Brian's signature on the buffalo wings

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Sessions are superb on all levels!!
    Thanks Terry..

Cheers Hayden. To be fair, we are very friendly with the owner (who is a level 2 RKC and is very pro PLing) and he is just having a tough time with the premises at the minute. Very old, 4th floor gym, timber rafters etc. I definitely do not want to fall through the floor. No big deal as I said, we will just pull after squats...all good

I cant believe how hard it is to find a gym where you are actually allowed to lift heavy/hard.

That PWO meal sounds sooo good. Your journal is making it very hard not to think of food with that description and Brian's signature on the buffalo wings
    I used to put a lot of food pr0n up in here but my diet is so boring now that nothing is really worthy. Rice/spinach/coley doesnt really do it for most lol....

Bench Training - 8th Feb / Southside - Week 4

*deep heat
    *rolling
    *dislocates

Bench
    barx?
    154x10
    220x5
    264x1
    sling shot
    352x1
    374x1
    shirt (jack)
    440x3
    swap shirt (ace)
    484x2
    517x2 touched both (prescribed top set)
    lockout work
    572x1 - 3b
    594x1 - 3b
    616x1 - 3b
    550x3 - 3b

DB Rows
    110x10 (x3)

DB Front Raise / Face Pulls
    3x10 each

CG Rope Pressdowns
    3x12

Notes: I trimmed about a half inch off the sleeves of my Jack but still ridiculously tight especially on my left arm which turned grey and lost feeling pretty quick. I will take another half inch off the sleeves and stretch them out with footballs for the week after next (deload next week) and the shirt should be sweet. Ironic since I am actually in a nice groove with the Ace lately. Depending on the next session with the Jack, I may just continue with the Ace for my meet in April.

616x1 off 3 board...
    Video

Thats a lot of weight!! Nice!
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal

(looks like I got to step up my benching)

Looking real good Justin. Weight moved real fast. And your arch looks dialed in too. How far out is your grip? Just wondering. I got to man up this week and get under some weight again. 650 is coming
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I agree with Brian, your bench form looked dialed in. Smooth clean press Justin, nice job....makes me want to pull out my old double denim
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

LuNa
    Huge bench JM. Looking on point for big numbers.

Wow man, outstanding to say the least.

Thats a lot of weight!! Nice!
    Thanks Hayden. Just a 3 board press though.

(looks like I got to step up my benching)

Looking real good Justin. Weight moved real fast. And your arch looks dialed in too. How far out is your grip? Just wondering. I got to man up this week and get under some weight again. 650 is coming
    Yes, go ahead and show me up again lol.

All my shirted work is done index on rings. I have long spindly arms so it prob looks narrower. I have been doing a lot of foam rolling esp on lower back and seems to be working. Also been arching up over a PVC pipe and holding it there for a bit.

I agree with Brian, your bench form looked dialed in. Smooth clean press Justin, nice job....makes me want to pull out my old double denim
    Thanks Brian. Get it OUT!! What are the main functional differences between poly and denim?

Huge bench JM. Looking on point for big numbers.
    Thanks mate. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Wow man, outstanding to say the least.
    Thanks a lot Terry...

excellent lifting, how do you like the slingshot? i get a good amount out of it.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    excellent lifting, how do you like the slingshot? i get a good amount out of it.
    Thanks mate. I started to use the sling shot a lot since I hurt both shoulders in November. Now its just the right one. Anyway, with the amount of stress the SS takes off my shoulder I can pretty much bench pain free. I have no idea how much I get out of it though...a fair amount lol. I do love using it.

Sorry Justin, I've never worn a poly shirt before, especially the new age stuff. The last one I ever used was a Inzer blast shirt back in 2000, lol. I do know that denim doesn't stretch out like poly does. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Sorry Justin, I've never worn a poly shirt before, especially the new age stuff. The last one I ever used was a Inzer blast shirt back in 2000, lol. I do know that denim doesn't stretch out like poly does. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.
    Hey, no worries Brian. I know i do not want to try one anyway. Something just tells me that touching would be heartbreaking

Squat & Pull - 10th Feb

*deep heat
    *rolling

Squat
    (against greens & purples ~250lbs at top)
    Barx?
    Bar+b x10
    briefs
    176+b x5
    286+b x2
    396+b x2
    suit on straps down
    506+b x1
    572+b x1

Conv Deadlift
    154x5
    264x3
    374x2
    suit on straps down
    484x1
    straps up
    572x1
    638x1

Notes: Squatting felt far better than it has previously. Finished solid and fast on 22lb more than last week so shut it down and didnt get greedy. Deadlift went well. Thats the third PR in three weeks for pulls. I want 660 so I will take that next week and then back off to ramp up again for March 31st when I have a DL only comp. Its only two weeks before my full meet so I wont be going crazy. Prob just take what would be my second attempt.

Video

Looked strong in that vid mate. Fast as off the floor! Strong work!
    Best Raw Lifts

My Journal